And if you like "tactile", sacguy, you could always take the big, weird, anachronistic leap into lab gear...boogie like they did in Cologne in 1956!

Seriously! Fact is, while synthesizers were supposed to "replace" all of that gear in electronic music, there's aspects of the sound that NOT having this gear causes one to miss out on. Back while I was in undergrad at MTSU, my comp prof and I toyed with the idea of dragging ourselves up to the State Warehouses in Nashville and reallocating some choice bits to the studio there. That never got done, but I did carry the idea on to my own studio and started adding that stuff from the start. And it turns out, it's just like synthesizers; I got my UBMs for $30 apiece, for example...and these days, if you even can FIND a Rohde u. Schwarz UBM, it's gonna cost! Then in the recent upgrades (still going on...I've got a dedicated VCV machine in the pipeline for installation this week), I added even MORE of that sound with the addition of a buttload of snags from eBay. It's easier and easier to find all of the "old" synths these days, especially as redone module versions, but test gear still has that "mystery" to it and isn't easy to find...or, quite often, to make sense of.