Fantastic post idea @ferranadsr. As modular newbies we hear over an over again that utilities are the key, but never exactly why or how.

ModularGrid Rack

I've made a small rack of some of my favorite utilties modules, in no particular order. They all get used frequently in my patches in a multitude of ways. There are plenty of others that are great, but I want to highlight these few. No need to deep dive into each, but wanted to give some general shoutouts. I'm also happy to explain how I use any specific module if you're curious.

Switches, mutes, mults - Oh my goodness, these have completely changed how I use my system. From being able to select between different channels in order to bring in different song sections to the fore, or sending cv to alternating sources, or using a sequential switch as a sequencer... Muting a channel on the fly or sending cv or audio suddenly to a different location... These make "playing" the system fun.

Matrix mixers, mixers, attenuators/verters, scaling, invert - Just great ways to manipulate and shape your signals and create really complex cv. Attenuators are absolutely essential for controlling modulators and randomness.

Precision adders/shifters - the t43 is so damn fun to play that I needed to include it. Also, it really helps move a song forward when you can just shift the melody's voltage by musically meaningful amounts.

Random, S&H/T&H, noise - Even if generative isn't your thing, don't overlook the power that randomness can add to your patches. I really enjoy sample/track and hold, and use it to rhythmically pick voltages from random sources like noise, or the delightful ochd expander to create meandering melodies (you'll need attenuators, of course!). Great for adding creating complex modulations.

I would say, to echo @liontel, that it was the ornaments and crime that helped me understand what utilties could do. I'd find myself using one applet or another for a while before realizing why I actually just needed that utility as a standalone. Then I'd explore a new applet. I haven't used the disting myself, but I assume it's a similar story.

Anyone else have favorite utility types or modules?