(I decided to review this list of my favorite modules in honor of this most important week in synthesizer history - the week that the modern-era POLYPHONIC MOOG became public knowledge. This amazing journey started for me in 1975 with a Minimoog... I was 14. I begged and cajoled and, when I got my mom to the music store to look at a Rhodes I saw the Mini. ("But it only plays one note at a time....") More begging and cajoling led to a most merry Christmas. Like the Christmas 1974 when my brother gave me 2 LPs by this English band called Yes - it was a gift that literally altered the course of my life. )

I wrote this more then 2 years ago. Since that time there has been an explosion in Eurorack. Regarding my comments above - not much has changed. My Braids has become Plaits - truly my be all and end all digital oscillator. As for filters - I discovered the Deopfer A-108. I now have two. Updates to Intellijel's Metropolis have cemented it's place as my favorite sequencer. For final stage VCAs - the WMD Multimode is still my go-to module. In fact, I believe that Multimode VCA is, quite simply, my favorite Eurorack module of all time.

My statement - "If I could do one thing over again I would have gone Buchla on day one." is even more true today. I don't generally believe in regrets - but I truly regret that decision. In my case it was greatly impacted by timing and when I started to get into this stuff. This was at the start of Buchla's transitional period. I remember a time when I could hold all the names of Eurorack module makers in my head. And the purveyors of this magic were Haven, Big City, and Noisebug. Now Sweetwater is selling Eurorack for crying out loud.

I used to have a collection of pretty decent modules. These days that collection is looking a little long-in-the-tooth. That said, you really can't go wrong with almost any Doepfer module. Thanks, D.D. - you started this avalanche...

Lama Out