Depends on the size of your case and how difficult to use functions and how much menu diving and hidden button combos are involved for me anyways. Take Expert Sleepers Disting EX, it packs massive features in small space but man that module is a royal pain to navigate and use without lots of menu diving and study of the manuals! I have an O&C to learn and hope that is not as bad.

In many cases, I like simplicity take clocks for example. I love my Pam New Workout and while there are some menus and encoders to use, it is not that difficult for what it offers. In contrast, something like Shakmat Clock O Pawn is still a great clock but dead simple to use and no menu screens to deal with.
-- sacguy71

the key to this is - don't expect, or even try, to learn all functions of a swiss army knife module - learn the few that you want to use - disting favourites really helps with this, for example - and have a decent idea of the scope of the module

think about how you'd use an actual swiss knife - 90% of the time you use it as a knife, maybe you use the scissors 5% of the time, the saw 4% of the time - wtf are the other things?

if you suddenly need a 'xyz' module - then looking up the manual on your phone to check how it works is not that much of an inconvenience is it? - chances are you really don't need this function mid-performance - and if you do, at least with disting: the i/o is almost identical most of the time and working out what parameters are available is not that difficult - just click the Z pot

as for modules with secret handshakes to access hidden functions - have a play with them - if the hidden feature is important/useful to you then you'll probably remember the handshake to get there having done it a dozen times or so - if it's not that important to you then you can probably find it in a couple of minutes - if and when you need it - just don't count on it during a performance

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities