Hi Jim, thanks for the note.

NP

In my big studio rig, I do have a bunch of relevant scale/offset/mix utilities: Maths, Sum*Diff, SISM, Levit8, Doepfer A 1-38m Matrix Mixer, and 12 lanes of VCA (3 quads). I also have plenty of CV sources from standard envelopes, LFOs and sequencers through chaos and random. Your tagline of "sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities" I've tried to keep in mind for my modules --> but I probably haven't kept it in mind for all my actual patches!

It's more important to have them there for when you need them as opposed to using them all the time... I have loads of modules I don't use in every patch...

So I'm probably vastly under-utilizing my existing scale/offset/mix utilities --> my current guess I should press my upcoming patching to have i) a lot more modulation targets and ii) nearly all mod signals "dialed in" or restrained via attenuate / offset / mix.

sounds like a plan!!

I think one challenge I've had on this point so far is not having a great sense "what good looks / sounds like" in terms of #s, balance and specific patching techniques for modulators + utilities in Eurorack patches.

I think the biggest challenge is finding what works for you and not what works for other people - experimentation is the key - not 'specific techniques for patching modulation + utilities in Eurorack patches'

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities