i understand there are a lot of sound sources already and im missing some key utilities. but what would you all recommend? attenuators? more vcas? more lfos/envelopes? i know a mixer will be needed. a filter? what am i missing?

-- itsdakota

Honestly, yes to all of the above. I'd highly recommend something like XAOC's Batumi or DivKid's Ochd. Both will get you plenty of dynamic motion. Attenuators are necessary to tame the signals, particularly randomness coming from o-coast, and you'll want to consider other functionality, such as inversion and offsetting. Happy Nerding's 3xMIA and Frap Tools 321 might be of interest. Utilities such as sample and hold/track an hold, logic, and comparators might but fun to use with the random voltages, as well. Also, I'd recommend a matrix mixer, like Doepfer's A-138m, so you can blend signals, mix, attenuate/vert to make things complex. Really great for exploring feedback, as well.

One interesting module to consider is Joranologue's Morph4 (honestly, pretty much any of their modules are worth considering). On the surface it is 4 cascading VCAs (which you need, anyways) but with cv control over some very intereting parameters that make it great for crossfading audio or cv. I'm still learning it myself, but it definitely seems to lend itself to dynamic motion. Also, more VCAs, yay.

Good luck!