read a lot (30+) newbie threads - take the advice that always stands out

read the stickies at the top of the modwiggler eurorack forum

try to work out what you want the modular for

get a bigger case

read my signature
-- JimHowell1970

Yeah !
That's why I put utility modules. (logic, buff mult etc...)
I will still read.

I still believe I can do something good with this little case. :)

Thanks.

-- 202kwam

I spent a lot of time over about 18 months reading and watching videos before spending a penny on eurorack gear 5 years or so ago - some people seem to think they have done a lot of reading in 30 mins over a weekend - I guess it's really down to attention span - mine is much worse now than it was then

ok let's start with buffered mult - as the case is so small i would not try to cram 2 'voices' in there - so a buffered mult is superfluous, as they are only really needed for v/oct (ie pitch) signals - a bit of voltage droop on audio or any cv that is not v/oct will be unnoticeable - and passive mults in a case this size just take up valuable hp - get stackcables or other forms of passive external splitting - like headphone splitter

belief is sometimes good - but often flawed

I believe you may be able to get something good out of a case this size, but I don't necessarily think you will be able to get lots of somethings good out of it - do yourself a massive favour and get something at least twice the size to start off with there is no need whatsoever to fill it this week/month/year- much better to start bigger with space to expand as you learn what the fuck you are doing rather than having to buy a second case in 3-6 months (which is way more expensive than buying a sensibly sized one to start with) and then once you know exactly what you are doing go smaller if you still feel the need to only use a beauty case for whatever reason - mostly it seems to be "because it fits in my handbag" - almost all those youtube influencers are pulling modules out of much bigger cases to highlight specific patches that they have worked out over years of practice - starting with a too small case adds artificial contraint and forces you into a specific workflow, which is highly unlikely to be your workflow

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities