thank you for the your insight, Jim! i do have reverb and delay pedals and to save rack space i'm planning to keep effects as pedals, unless i can squeeze one in later on.

make sure you get some pedal interface modules then - modular is very high volume compared to effects pedals

i was planning on using the keystep pro to sequence.
a second vco would be way down the line. first want to start with a manis and build around that and the mother32, grab a pams and maths or maybe make noise function to save space, and fill up the rack space ive got left with filters, vcas and utilities.
-- madTraffick

I'd definitely go for the maths over the function... much more than just an extra function generator - the utilities in the middle make it 4-5 * the usefulness - and that's without learning to patch program it...

seriously the mantis is the way to go for a case - not the 3u rackbrute... you wouldn't believe the number of people who I've told this to - only for them to just buy a smaller case and then 2-3 months later they message me to say - yeah you were right, I just bought a mantis!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities