Apologies in advance for another ?wHaT sHoUlD i BuY? post, but here I am... I have done lots of research into modular but still find myself asking questions specific to my situation.

I am here to ask for your opinions on which types of modules you think I'd benefit from, and which types I don't need as much/to start. I plan on making a small modular rig (I don't have unlimited $$ for this) and will build slowly based on my needs. The rack will suplement some of my other gear. I want the rig two have max 2 voices and focus on modulating those VCOs and my Mother 32.

Gear for my modular Setup:
-Arturia Rackbrute 3U, 88hp (minus 5 hp power = 83 hp to fill)
-Mother 32 semi-modular
-Keystep pro

Other Gear in my setup
-Microfreak
-Drumbrute Impact
-Minilogue XD

Module I Need:
-Manis Iteritas Alia VCO (I absolutely love the sounds from this module - gritty, industrial, obscure, etc. Plus, it has the built in envelope, which seems beneficial). This is the only module I know that I want to build around. The BIA is an option too, but the Manis has me sold.

Modules I think I should get:
-Pam's Pro Workout (looks immensley useful and I can't think of any reason I wouldn't benefit from it)
-Make Noise Maths (because every single person recommends it and by all accounts seems like a swiss army knife of uses for 20hp
-After Late Beehive Plaits Clone (Hard/expensive to get an original MI Plaits so I'm all for this clone based on mostly positive reviews I've read)

Plan:
I plan on using this modular rig to supplement my existing setup.
I've got the Minilogue XD for chords, Mother 32 for basslines, Microfreak for whatever else I need, and Drumbrute Impact for drums.

I want this rig to provide lead melodies/arpeggios and atmosphere. Modulate the Manis and Mother 32, and possible the Plaits clone.

Questions:
-What are some other modules that I should be focusing on for modulation? Or after I get a Maths, hypothetically, should I turn my focus to VCAs?
-How many VCAs do you think I'd need for this type of setup?

I appreciate you taking the time to read through this, hopefully not too redundant beginner post. Thank you in advance to any and all comments and recommendations.

Cheers!

I think if you want 2 voices you're better off going for the 6u rackbrute, or better yet a mantis (more space, better power and no rack wart wasting precious hp) - this is because the support modules that are needed for 2 voices are really squeezed into 3u and it will leave you some space to expand into without the extra expense of buying a second case...

& maths takes up a lot of space out of 83hp...

good starting advice: buy a bigger case, buy fewer modules to start!

I'd get a full size plaits clone - not the beehive - trimmers are notoriously imprecise - so if you want to use it for tonal music, it's difficult to tune!!!

I want this rig to provide lead melodies/arpeggios and atmosphere.

how are intending to sequence? no sequencer (except the random ones in Pams) & no aropeggiator... the keystep?

where's the atmosphere? no reverb, no delay???

What are some other modules that I should be focusing on for modulation? Or after I get a Maths, hypothetically, should I turn my focus to VCAs?

you've probably got enough modulation between Maths and Pam's... take a look at my signature - it's a rough guide to building a modular synth that's as versatile as possible, for the least outlay... you're missing sound modifiers and utiltiies... I'd want at least one filter for each voice - and as plaits has 2 outputs (not stereo as such) I'd want 3 and possibly more... plus at least one module that can do delat and another for reverb... unless you have pedals or something similar (which you don't state)

you'll also want to mix your sound sources...

sequential switches, sample and hold, attenuverters, attenuators and offsets etc etc are also highly recommended and incredibly useful - utilities are the dull (& inexpensive) polish that are needed to keep the shiny expensive modules shining

a separate clock divider is also very useful... great for creating bass lines from other audio... /2 = -1ve, /4 = -2ve

& yes maths has attenuators/offsets - but you'll be using them for patch programming maths - so will need more (download the 'maths illustrated supplement' for more information) - BTW patch programming sounds complicated, but it's just patching - in this case self patching a module to itself to get extended funtctionality...

& yes Pam's works as a clock divider - but I'm not sure it can divide external sources...

How many VCAs do you think I'd need for this type of setup?

more than you think you do... vcas are extremely useful and powerful - they are for modulation as well as for shaping notes - 2-3 per voice is a good rule of thumb - although as they're also useful for controlling volume - more is always better!!! there's a reason behind the meme - you can never have too many vcas!!!

a good starting point would be a veils clone (or similar) - which is a quad cascading vca - cascading in that it has mixing capabilities built in... you may find you want more than one of these (or at least an extra dual or triple vca)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

thank you for the your insight, Jim! i do have reverb and delay pedals and to save rack space i'm planning to keep effects as pedals, unless i can squeeze one in later on.

i was planning on using the keystep pro to sequence.

a second vco would be way down the line. first want to start with a manis and build around that and the mother32, grab a pams and maths or maybe make noise function to save space, and fill up the rack space ive got left with filters, vcas and utilities.

thank you for the your insight, Jim! i do have reverb and delay pedals and to save rack space i'm planning to keep effects as pedals, unless i can squeeze one in later on.

make sure you get some pedal interface modules then - modular is very high volume compared to effects pedals

a second vco would be way down the line. first want to start with a manis and build around that and the mother32, grab a pams and maths or maybe make noise function to save space, and fill up the rack space ive got left with filters, vcas and utilities.
-- madTraffick

I'd definitely go for the maths over the function... much more than just an extra function generator - the utilities in the middle make it 4-5 * the usefulness - and that's without learning to patch program it...

seriously the mantis is the way to go for a case - not the 3u rackbrute... you wouldn't believe the number of people who I've told this to - only for them to just buy a smaller case and then 2-3 months later they message me to say - yeah you were right, I just bought a mantis!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks again, Jim. I hear you about the rack size, but I was gifted the 3u, so it is what it is. I am also going to be building it up slooooowwwllllyyyy, so in a year or two, I'll see where I'm at and possible sell my 3u for a 6u or mantis.

I'm going to start with a Manis, Pam's, and Maths, and begin the journey there... Then in a few months, I'll add a filter, maybe Wasp, quad VCA, and then I'll realize how important utilities are...

make sure you get some pedal interface modules then - modular is very high volume compared to effects pedals

-- madTraffick

I'd definitely go for the maths over the function... much more than just an extra function generator - the utilities in the middle make it 4-5 * the usefulness - and that's without learning to patch program it...

seriously the mantis is the way to go for a case - not the 3u rackbrute... you wouldn't believe the number of people who I've told this to - only for them to just buy a smaller case and then 2-3 months later they message me to say - yeah you were right, I just bought a mantis!!!

-- JimHowell1970

Yup, listen to Jim re: Mantis as a starter case, I'm one of those that didn't listen! :D

“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche