Looking for some thoughts on this set up. Mainly using this for sound design and sample manipulation. Anything stand out here that should be reconsidered?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2105579.jpg

& the link to your public rack because jpgs are shit - now we can mouseover and click-through!!!

ModularGrid Rack

you are trying to do too much in too small a case with too little in the way of support modules - it's a schoolboy mistake relating to not going through enough newbie rack posts (ie lack of research) same as not linking the rack above!!!

too many sound sources, too many sound modifiers, too little in the way of modulation or utilities... these are the important bits in modular... mixing looks like an oversight that's been "fixed" at the last minute without any thought - I must have a mixer and I only have 6hp left, what will fit... no vcas, how are you intending to play this (generate pitch and gates for notes? there's no midi->cv module or sequencer(s)

don't get me wrong all these modules would be great together in a much larger case with the support modules to actually support them!!! add at least another row - or much better 2 to make space for these essential modules or throw most of this out and start again around at most 2 voices...

see my signature for some hints on how to get a versatile modular that will keep you engaged for less cash

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks Jim… I probably should have mentioned I have 2 korg sq1 sequencers and an additional external mixer. I also have a set of utilities (VCA’s Attenuators, LPG passive multiple, micro mixer) from tid bit audio that float around as needed.
Of coarse I’m trying to be space and cost conscious, and want to get the biggest bang of sonic options for the buck. I can’t be alone in that quest.
For modulation sources. I think there’s a lot of possibilities with ochd, swn, maths, rnd…and I can record modulation to morphagene. The sg1 can also offer modulation as well as the mutable instruments ears clone, Byxa. I also have a berhinger crave cowering nearby, and a couple pedals…microcosm, two stereo loopers and the new boss slice.
But I hear you. More utilities!

Thanks Jim… I probably should have mentioned I have 2 korg sq1 sequencers and an additional external mixer. I also have a set of utilities (VCA’s Attenuators, LPG passive multiple, micro mixer) from tid bit audio that float around as needed.

usually a good idea - as much info as possible as simply as possible is usually best...

no idea what the tib bit audio thing is could you post a link?

Of coarse I’m trying to be space and cost conscious, and want to get the biggest bang of sonic options for the buck. I can’t be alone in that quest.

probably not but it's a juggling act... the formula in my signature generally gives the most versatility for the least cash, though and scales well from the smallest to the largest modular synths

For modulation sources. I think there’s a lot of possibilities with ochd, swn, maths, rnd…

yes and you need multiples of these - and ways of mixing them together and attenuating and inverting and modulating them...

combining synced, unsynced and a tiny bit of random together in varying ratios gives better modulation than any one of these alone and often they need attenuating and (possibly) inverting

and I can record modulation to morphagene.

but them you can't use it for what it excels at - audio manipulation

The sg1 can also offer modulation as well as the mutable instruments ears clone, Byxa. I also have a berhinger crave cowering nearby, and a couple pedals…microcosm, two stereo loopers and the new boss slice.

do you mean sq1, not sg1? (that's an old sci-fi tv show!!! which could of course be used for modulation)

and the pedals aren't really modulation sources!!! and I don't see anything for interfacing with these - or do you find they work well at modular levels - I have some pedals that do and some that don't...

But I hear you. More utilities!

good... you got the point...

sound sources, modulation sources and sound modifiers are just what they are - utilities are possiblilities!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thanks again for the feedback and sound advice. Regarding tidbit audio, they are a small company that make passive doodads that I found on Etsy, here’s a link of them at Knobcon 22:

I included the pedal comments to underscore modulation sources to sounds after the rack…but message received.

Cheers!

I included the pedal comments to underscore modulation sources to sounds after the rack…but message received.

that's not the modulation that you seek...

and they're not modulation sources they're modulation effects...

the modulation that you seek is voltages that fluctuate so that you can alter things on modules without using your hands - kind of like magic, but using electricity...

ie lfos/envelope generators/function generators etc + utilities to mix, multiply and mangle them!