This stuff sounds great and looks amazing. Wonderful visuals.

I made a real simple vid about how I layer melodies. If you have a few minutes to gift your eyeballs/algorithm food, I'd really, really appreciate it:

Fantastic/.
-- VOW3LLtheVAMPIRE

Big thanks! Means a lot.

It was a rainy day, so I made this. Truth is, I like making these walk through videos because they force me to consider how best to communicate about synthesis.

Thank you so much for this. I really do see it similarly. It is never a solo.

Love the track and especially the video! The source material is great and the editing amazing too. Was this a Visualz RBG effect? However you did it, great job.

Thanks Zugga, I've really been focusing on mixing, because recording multiple synth voices almost always entails working with broad frequency ranges. Articulating every voice in the overall mix can be challenging. This track was recorded all in one go through a four channel mixer, so I've learned that getting the initial recording right is so key.

Hi Garfield, this one was an earworm that stayed patched for a while. Thank you, as always, for the kind words.
FF

This track was my main production project for August. Worked on it a little too long, but I am happy with the final patch.

Patch Notes:

Boss DR-670 Kit: 16

BeatStep Pro BPM: 80 Key: C
Clock [Out] to Moog Mother 32 [Tempo]
SEQ 1
Pitch to Mutable Instruments Plaits [V/Oct]
SEQ 2
Pitch to Synthesis Technology Circuit Bent VCO [V/Oct]
Gate to Doepfer Dual ADSR [L Gate]
SEQ 3
MIDI to DR-670

Mother 32
VCA Out to Endorphin.es Milky Way [L In]
Assn to Moog DFAM [Adv/Clock]
Gate to M32 [Mult In]
Mult 1 to Rebel Technology Stoicheia [L In]
Mult 2 to Plaits [Trig]

DFAM: Kick & Bass
Pitch to [VCF Mod]
VCO EG to [Noise Level]

Rebel Technology Stoicheia
L Out to Make Noise Maths [Ch. 2]
R Out to Plaits [Harmo]

INSTRUō øchd
LFO 4 to Plaits [Morph]
LFO 5 to Maths [Ch. 3]
LFO7 to Mimeophon [Color]

Doepfer Dual ADSR
Env. 1 Out 1 to Maths [Ch. 1 Cycle]
Env. 1 Out 2 to A.I Synthesis Quad VCA [CV 2]
Env. 2 Out 1 to Maths [Ch. 4 Cycle]

Make Noise Maths
SUM to Plaits [Timbre]

Erica Synths Pico DSP
L Out to Endorphin.es Cockpit^2 [Ch. 3]

Mutable Instruments Plaits
Out to Make Noise Mimeophon [L In]
Aux to Mimeophon [R In]

WMD Triple Bipolar VCA
Mix Out to External Mixer [Ch. 1 Panned L]

A.I. Synthesis Quad VCA
Ch. 2 Out to Pico DSP [In]
Mix Out to External Mixer [Ch. 2 Panned R]

Moog DFAM
VCA to Cockpit^2 [Ch. 1]

Synthesis Technology Circuit Bent VCO
Audio to Quad VCA [Ch. 2]

Make Noise Mimeophon
L Out to TBVCA [Ch. 1]
R Out to Quad VCA [Ch. 1]

Endorphin.es Cockpit^2
Out to External Mixer [Ch. 3 Panned C]

Endorphin.es Milky Way
L Out to Triple Bipolar VCA [Ch. 2 In]
R Out to Quad VCA [Ch. 3 In]

Hi! I just wanted to share a super-cut from a show I produced along with my friends at BKVL in Brooklyn. It was a fundraiser we held for Willie Mae Rock Camp, a synthesis and electronic music school for kids. We are also doing a popup show at Better Nature Records in Sayville, Long Island this Saturday from 3pm-5pm. But I really like the way our last show turned out:

ThanksCurioKid! I had never made paper mache before this. It was fun throwing that thing together. I really appreciate your comment.

Oh Garfield, you are always just the nicest and most thoughtful person. Thank you for watching.

I had a really great time making a video on how to build a copper tape and conductive paint touch-plate for my eurorack system. I start by making the paper mache octopus and then detail the wiring and soldering of the circuit, which uses a 9 volt battery as a voltage source. I am happy to answer any questions about it, and I hope you think its as cool as I do. Would love a like if you find it interesting. [Patch Notes in video description]

Thank you TumeniKnobs, I really appreciate that.

Hi all, I did a live set in December in collaboration with BK Voltage Lab and really liked the patches and sections, so I decided to record every sequence of every individual voice signal path for the 30 minute set. Then I clipped each recording, made loops, and reassembled the whole thing. Thought I'd share it.

Some notes: The DR-670 drum machine is controlled by the BeatStep Pro (BSP), while the Mother 32 set the underlying song structure. I use the the Filter 8 again as a sub bass whose envelope is gated by the Rebel Technology Stoicheia Euclidean rhythm generator, which is given initial clock by the M32, which is synced to the BSP. I have used the Filter 8 for the bass notes twice now, and I really can't say enough about the clarity and variety of beat the Filter 8/Stoicheia combo provides. The backing key synth lines are of course the microKorg and the Little Phatty Stage II, looped with a Pigtronix Infinity Looper. The first sequencer of the BSP controls the trigger for the traditional bouncing ball patch that runs from the Make Noise Maths to Mutable Instruments Plaits, which is then made stereo, with the left channel going directly into the left channel of aMake Noise Mimeophon, while the right channel passes through a Doepfer Wasp before going into the right channel of the Mimeophon. The second sequencer of the BSP controls the Synthesis Technology's Circuit Bent VCO, which flows into a Mutable Instruments Clouds.

The track, while obviously cheerful in structure, upon closer inspection reveals that it is tough to keep it together. Things fall apart. I play a lot with hyper-melodic lines that overlay one another, like a stratification of melody that gives it depth. I find that this approach reveals the often melancholic qualities of otherwise happy sounds. It may be tough to hear it at first, but after a while, it is all I can hear.

Happy Birthday Earth Modular Society. Thanks for being there for me.

When I read the title, I was like, ok, so Garfield found some thunder-esque sound, let's see.....oh no, it is truly 100% thunder. So rad. Good find.

I am curious as to what cameras you use and how many? How do you handle camera switching during your performance?
-- mog00

Thanks for your kind remarks. When streaming live I usually use an app called OBS and fit all my camera stuff on one frame because I don't want to be distracted by having to switch cameras, though I'll often have two cameras and switch between them in OBS manually. For streaming I usually just have two cameras, one (my MacBook camera) to capture me playing from a few feet away and then a GoPro knock off to fisheye on the modular rig. When just recording, I'll also use my iPhone and then import all the video and edit it. This gives me full control over video dynamics to feature the camera image that it doing the most interesting things at the moment. But this editing take a lot of time. Sometimes I think it is worth it. So, long story short, I do not have an automated switch like so many rad acts do.

Cheers
FF

Do you mind sharing what you had connected to the various CV outputs for the sequencers and drum gates?
-- jb61264

Sure! Here are the elements I find most interesting.

The BeatStep Pro (BSP) drum sequencer is controlling a Boss DR-670 for those awesome 90's drums via the MIDI out. I use the roller pad to manipulate the IDM-ish drum patterns on the fly.

The Mother 32 provides the primary underlying melody for all sections. It runs through an Endorphin.es Milky Way for reverb saturation and is given that classic delay during the Berlin School style mid-section by an Erica Synth Pico DSP.

I had the idea of running the Joranalogue Filter 8 at audio rate for a really nice sub bass. The notes of this bass are drawn from the M32 KB out, and the rhythm is achieved by taking the gate from the M3 and running it through a Stoicheia euclidean rhythm module by Rebel Technology. This gives the gate for the envelope of the bass via one side of the Doepfer dual ADSR. I really like this effect because the bass and the melody are in sync and key, but the notes are not too often repeated on the same beat giving variation.

The SEQ 1 of the BSP sequences the Circuit Bent VCO, which provides the overlying melodies of the first and last sections. This VCO has a built-in filter, but I also run it through a Doepfer Wasp for that amazing color, which is best demonstrated in my view at the 25:05 mark. This then runs through the Mimeophon for stereo pread into right and left VCA mixers (a WMD Triple Bipolar VCA and a AI Synthesis Quad VCA). Note that when I use the roller pad to manipulate the drum pattern, it also glitches Seq 1. The second side of the ADSR envelopes the SEQ 1 melody on the BSP, which allows me to make the notes of the melody stay nice and tight or to stretch the notes out allowing the WASP to really shine. This is also best demonstrated after the 25:05 mark.

The SEQ 2 of the BSP provides accent notes with Rings, which of course goes into Clouds for reverb/delay and granular looping. The looping capture is triggered by the right side pattern of the Stoicheia which is clocked by the Kick cv out on the BSP.

Hope this gives some insight!
FF

As always, you are so kind Garfield. I wish more people, including myself, were as generous and thoughtful in their remarks as you. Thanks for being such a great community member.

farkas

Mission accomplished! :)

lol

Really great. What is that 1U unit on top? It seemed to glitch out the running pattern, akin to the phonogene's gene shift knob/cv point.

Thanks for saying that. It really does mean a lot. Yeah, I was really trying to channel pink years Tangerine Dream there.

Yeah this was a fun episode with a real book worm of module knowledge. And as always, thanks for your kind comments.
FF

This patch spans the gap between Harmonia and mid-70s Tangerine Dream. By this I mean to say, it sounds awesome!

subbed on SoundCloud! I really love what sounds almost like a ratcheting effect with a hand held tempo pot? Or is it modulated by a an irregular LFO? This is definitely one I'd love to see video on.

This week we speak with modular synthesist robby to discuss the collapse of the producer/consumer:

Hi everyone: Saturday Night synthesis is a synth performance/discussion show I co-host. This week, we have three awesome live performances and are joined by Fetz A/V [Sonic Alliance]. We have a great discussion about community support and how to create with a praxis of togetherness.

The show premieres at 9pm (EST), Tuesday April 27th. Hope you can join in the live chat:

Lol, yeah I can drone with the best of 'em too. Thanks for listening.

-FF

Hey folks, haven't posted in a while, but I've been working on a weekly synth variety show and I wanted to share our latest episode with you all, cause I actually dig it.

This show's theme centers on nostalgia.

Thread: Space Terror

Audio/Visual Essay - 120 bpm
BandCamp: https://thetimebeing.bandcamp.com/

Can't wait to give it a look.

Thanks, it looks like we're in the same county, so I'll definitely inquire.
FF

Hello.
I want to travel with my M32 3x rack.
Anyone heard of a suitable case?
Thank you.
FF

Exactly, you explained it better than me, like a glissando. Fine movement between the set notes. That's what I imagined.

Big thanks.

Would something like the WMD Triple Bipolar VCA help? https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-triple-bipolar-vca There are no kill switches, but you could CV the VCA to a Maths (or another utility) to control with the rise and fall.

DR-670 Drum Machine
BeatStep Pro
Mother 32
Phonogene
Maths
Woggle Bug
Circuit Bent VCO
Pico VCO
Clouds
Pico DSP

Sounds like a cool module that is right up my alley. Could you simply revise the first option and go with the third, while incorporating the off-set knob from the second option? That is, when turned on, quantizing all notes, but with an off-set knob to deviate after full quantization has taken place? It seems like it would have better applications for live performance this way. Either way, I would love to see some video of the module.

DR-670 Drum Machine
BeatStep Pro
Mother 32
Phonogene
Maths
Woggle Bug
Circuit Bent VCO
Pico VCO
Clouds
Pico DSP

I would have to respectfully disagree. IMO, running a site is not simply about building an environment where people can interact as they please; that is, if I can get away with it, then it is fair game. One would imagine that the site operator would create an environment where people would want to come visit and feel secure exchanging money and items. Mandating secure exchanges between users does not in anyway make ModularGrid liable for outcomes. In fact, providing a safe haven for con-artists and then throwing up your hands because the careless buyer did not see the con coming is far more legally hazardous. This is not about being a good or bad netizen either; it is about commerce and growing/maintaining a site. More buyers and sellers will participate in the market if there are protections in place–protections that ModularGrid has no role in providing or enforcing, which decreases the work load entailed in responding to user complaints, while potentially increasing traffic. PayPal and other services have provided an infrastructure to avoid these problems, and it is a solution that decreases rather than increases a buyer's risk, and decreases rather than increases the site's need to attend to these issues. A solution to a con that says, "Treat buyer's like adults and demand they be more discerning," is a solution with an unacceptable fail rate. If the site operator wants to limit rip-off artists from setting up camp in their market, requiring accountability is the way to go. Don't get me wrong, I am totally fine with things as they are. I've never had an issue, but if things are left as they are, then the site operator will continue to field emails and messages about the thieves and bad actors in our midst. If the this thread's purpose was to discuss changes to the status quo, then there is a solution.

Would it be possible to simply require commercial payment via PayPal or other services that allow arbitration through their infrastructure so you do not have to deal with it and we can have confidence in our purchase? If someone is unwilling to sell via a commercial account, perhaps their listing is too risky for everyone involved. I have purchased via the market place and did not have an issue, but I paid via the PayPal business option.

-FF

I found the solution. There is a three pin header on the pcb near the Orig. knob that ought to have a pin jumper connecting two of the three pins to either 1) force a square wave on the incoming signal or 2) pass the original signal through. The jumper was missing from my module when it arrived. Without the jumper between the pins, the signal will not be controlled by the Orig. knob. I contacted the manufacturer and he suggested I take a jumper from a two pin header located behind the F/4 knob, which controls the AC/DC output. This jumper is not necessary for audio performance so I just slipped the jumper off the two pin header and used it on the three pin header as a work around. They are going to send me a replacement. Thanks for looking into it.

-FF

Dear Synthesists,

I recently acquired a Doepfer A-115 Audio Divider. The four frequency sub-dividers work wonderfully, however the original attenuator seems to do nothing. Is there something I am missing? If all other knobs are "off" and the "Orig." is on, shouldn't there be a sound? If all other attenuators are producing sound, and I turn up the "Orig." knob, shouldn't I be hearing an effect on the signal?

Thanks for any help.
FF

Thanks, that is the new task before me, learning how to push a code onto the chip. I'm going to YouTube school to learn, but if you have any suggestions to learn, big thanks.

Turns out I was correct, the module is protected from reverse voltage but not over-voltage. I'll buy a new chip.

When putting together my distribution board, I stupidly swapped the +5v (top right) and the +12v (top left) in the molex wire terminals. When I fired it up, the board "worked." My Make Noise modules were fine, but the Στοιχεῖα (Rebel Technology Euclidean Sequencer) stopped affecting CV. The center top LED still lights, but the lower two shutter on and off, if they light at all, and the euclidean sequence does not occur. The knobs have zero effect. So, I think the Atmega 168 chip has been damaged. It has an intake limit of +6v, so if it was fed +12v, then, "Houston, we have a problem." Am I on the right track here? Or is there something else these symptoms suggests? I could just swap out the chip, right? The Make Noise modules are protected. I have rewired my board and now all is well, but I really like the Rebel module, so I hope to revive it.

Thanks for any advice.
FF