amazing guys, keep 'em coming

thanks for the reply! does that mean I use my MOTU and the optx via ADAT can be installed to show up as an additional 8i/8o channels ?

hey guys,
I'm thinking of buying an ES-8 because it looks like a really useful module for interfacing with Ableton & MaxMSP. I have a Motu Ultralite mk3 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with using the two at the same time.
It says on the website you can use the ES-8 with another interface via ADAT, but I've never used ADAT and also have no idea what that would look like (for example, I can only select one interface/driver in Ableton or MaxMSP, so how does it recognize the second interface...?)
best,

@mbl77 you mean the noise engineering ones? thanks, this is solid advice, will look into them

hah, yeah I'm kind of thinking in that direction too, much as I'd prefer to have a compact solution. I've still got a diy case lying around with a Doepfer power supply that someone gave to me, so it's not like I don't have the space. :)

yeah I didn't know how to update the thumbnail ... if you click it you should get to the actual rack.

yep, ensemble & sampler. might keep them tho, still unsure. my priority is adding an es-8, some fx & possibly some useful utilities atm.

hey guys, thanks a lot for both of your replies, I'm reading them attentively.

here's my current rack (click to expand): ModularGrid Rack

I've noticed that I am using mostly the elements, delay and erbeverb for sound design, and feeding in a lot of sound sources from my computer. Because of this workflow I really have come to think for me the way to go is to add some more effects modules and maybe even sell the two 4ms modules (much as I like them, just not using them much), hence the original post.

@Lugia: thanks for your suggestion but I really feel comfortable with using effects in modular like that, and for my workflow atm it makes a lot of sense to continue in this direction.

hey guys

I wanna put together a rack only for processing sounds coming from my DAW, so I'm looking for some input on modules that are great for sound design/processing purposes.

my criteria are intuitive usability (no quadruple-layer submenus) and unique sound processing capabilities (i.e. something you cannot easily program in MaxMSP - but can also be interesting takes on simple effects like delays!).

any suggestions are much appreciated! thanks!

Yep, this is my intermediary goal but I will buy a few first and then see how I feel about them. Some are more important to me than others and some are simply not available atm (the Clank Chaos) ...

Thanks for all the advice, I found it very useful!

Ok this is my preliminary version:

ModularGrid Rack

I'm thinking if I need more sound sources, might get a morphagene as soon as I have the $$$ but it's 500$ so it would add a lot on top.

hi Jim, thanks so much for the in-depth reply! I'm letting everything sink in, doing some more research and will post the result here in a few days.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for getting back about this!

Ok, so here’s my scaled-down version: ModularGrid Rack

I kept the Dust of Time, Beads, Maths and Chaos modules and added the Marbles instead of permutation, because I think it does actually look more interesting (knowing that I won't know until I really touched it).

I also exchanged the veils etc. clones for the real thing - could you explain what exactly makes them better? Is it the build or sound quality?

I’m still somewhat confused about the utility modules… like, how many I’ll need for what. And I’m uncertain if I have enough VCAs and whether I need an envelope generator.

About case, I am planning to build my own, so that should come much cheaper.

Wow, thanks so much for getting back about this so quickly and in such depth!
tbh this is a lot to take in... I'm trying to get a grip on row 3 but it's a bit hard to clearly see what's doing what since I lack the experience to really be able to tell what these modules will do in practice. (I'm digging through them right now, just to figure out what they do ... bear with me ...)
Because atm I really have to limit my spending to 3k but also because it might be better to start off smaller and see what I will actually use in practice, is there a way to boil this down into a 'light' version that costs around 3k...? what would be the essential modules?
thanks again!

hi everyone!
I would like to build a rack for around 2k mostly for sound design purposes (but also for jamming a bit). I'd like it to be centered around granular synthesis, have decent audio quality and as many possibilities for a kind of 'controlled chaos' as possible.

I'm completely new to this and just been browsing, so naturally I don't know the best modules for this kind of thing ...

here's my first attempt: ModularGrid Rack

Pretty sure I missed about half of what I'd really need. Happy about suggestions for modules/alternatives, etc.

Thanks!