Thanks for that Sweelinck.

Yes, while I already have a Disting, the Pod 32 doesn't support deeper modules including the 2hp Modules. I agreee with you regarding the passive mult. I'm leaning in the direction of the Ochd, but tempted by the Doepfer as it's a 1/3rd of the price of the Ochd in my country.

Thanks sgain:)

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2283244.jpg?1701213348

Thanks again halbroome. Looks interesting:)

The new 4 hp expansion for the Ochd is awesome! Just looking at your small case made me wince that there
was no room for it if you did use an Ochd. 4 triggers, 8 waveshapers would really expand the capabilties of
the small case.

I'd seriously consider a smaller 8 hp uRings instead of the original Mutable Instruments
to make space for it -- that would also clear up another 2 hp for a useful 2HP (company name) Clk
or a 2HP Mult.
-- halbroome

Thanks for that! I had no idea the expansion offered that degree of functionality!

+1 on the Clep Diaz, great little LFO / Stepped Random etc
-- wishbonebrewery

Thanks for that. My only concern with the Clep Diaz is the limitation of one lfo. Otherwise, it looks like a swiss army knife for a small system.

Hi Jim. Planning on synching it (somehow) to my Microfreak.

that will work - clock out ofd microfreak into whatever you are syncing to - just make sure you set both clocks appropriately... see the manuals

While 32 hp is very limited, it's fun to see how much I can coax out of these for live gigs.

well good luck with that...

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks for that, Jim! I appreciate your advice!

Thanks for that, halbroome and ambientvalent. Will definitely keep the Clep Diaz in mind. Yes, I have been on the fence with Ochd, but it would certainly be an excellent addition to my slightly bigger and less mobile rig.

Hi Jim. Planning on synching it (somehow) to my Microfreak. While 32 hp is very limited, it's fun to see how much I can coax out of these for live gigs.

All the best

Hi all,

I have rings and beads in a POD 32 mobile set up. Having a blast, but still undecided about the best mod source for the unit.

I am torn between the Doepfer Quad LFO (cheapest but not syncable), the ever popular Ochd and the Noise Engineering Clep Diaz.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts or opinions re these or other 4hp module alternatives.

Many thanks!

Thanks for that! If I recall, it was the Microfreak running through the Arturia fragments. All the best with your projects.

Interesting topic! Yeah, I generally have the approach of unpatching after I catch something on 'tape'. The process and approach my vary depending on the size of the system, though.

Also, I don't intend to gig with my 'full' system, so moving on from a tune always feels like a breath of fresh air.

All the best!

Here's a recent one that emerged from such a quick repatch.

Thanks a lot for listening! I appreciate your encouraging comment. Yes, I have been working with a very basic set up and trying to squeeze the most out what's there. Still new to making videos, but finding the process surprising fun.

All the best with your modular exploits.

Hi everyone,

Just uploaded a video using the MiniBrute 2s , Neutron, Crave and assorted Mutable modules.

Please check it out if you have the time.

Nice points, Lugia.

Personally, starting semi-modular (Minibrute 2s & Neutron) has been the best way to go. While I now have built up a collection of modules, the semi modulars continue to inspire and have given me a solid base to explore and learn whilst saving money.

Productivity wise, I find that I have become better at finishing tracks since going modular. Recently I have been working on a patch during the week, working out the musical paths in the patch, and then committing to recording in the weekend. Horses for courses of course.

Thanks again for your post. :)

I've been looking at the Rangoon from Calsynth,
it's converted to sliders for most controls, same form factor as a Monsoon.
may help with tuning stability/ not nudging the tuning out of place
-- fretless19

Thanks for that - looks like an interesting option.

while I would agree that having the original ESPECIALLY if its going to be discontinued is a better choice may I point this module

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/st-modular-yaksha-s-fate

I have it and its nice for what it is. According to its blurb its setup in such a way that all “tweakable” parameters are on top
with bigger knobs etc have all others that will affect tune and harmonics more subdued.

I mainly use my uRings clone for either percussion or non-melodic cases where tuning etc doesnt matter much

Anyway just wanted to offer another module to have a look.. to be frank though I would prefer at this point a full sized one and will at some point try to procure one.
-- mamonu

Thanks for that. In the end, I went for the OG and couldn't be happier. That said, I'm still on the look out for a smaller rings clone for a portable skiff. Did you pick up the original? How's it working out for you? Cheers

Thanks for watching!

Thanks for your thoughts dubstepjoris and TOMMI001. I just heard that Rings has been discontinued, so I might try to pick up the original while I still can. After picking up Plaits and Beads, I now realize that I have real pieces of art in my hands. I will stick with the originals while I can:)

Thanks for that, Jim. I really enjoyed checking out your videos on Instagram.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, Jim. Lumen looks like a very interesting prospect for a beginner like me. Also, love that trick with the feedback loop - will have to try that!

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

Great visuals, Jim! Enjoyed checking them out. Were the images generated with a module, or a program in the box? As a complete beginner, would you recommend any software or modules to get started with?

All the best

Thanks for those tips, Jim. I appreciate you checking out the tracks and giving your honest feedback. I am just dipping my toes into the video world, and have a new found appreciation for the effort people put into their videos.

Plaits and Crave just arrived last week, and here is my first patch exploration.

I am new to video creation and would be grateful for any synth video recording tips or tricks from more seasoned wigglers. I have checked out Bo Beats excellent video on the issue, but would appreciate any other suggestions.

Many thanks for listening!

My other YouTube channel:

Thanks for your detailed reply, Jim.

That's interesting to hear your feedback on the Rings tuning issue. I have been messing around in VCV 2 with Rings, but have yet to notice that issue. I presume I am far from utilizing the module to its full potential.

I appreciate your other points regarding the ergonomics and supporting the manufacturer. Basically, I already plan on purchasing Plaits and Beads, but have very limited $ and physical space for a bigger case. The ability to process sound in Rings still seems like a winner.

BTW Do you have a YouTube channel or Instagram related to your modular system? I learn a lot from your posts on the MG forums and would like to support.

Thanks again.
Ian

Good to hear from you. The reduced size and price make this one very appealing. I also looked at the Plaits clone, but the prices are very similar to the original in my country. All the best with your decision making.

Hi all,

I am interested in the nRings from After Later Audio, but have struggled to find content on YT. Does anyone have experience with this module? Would you recommend it?

Thanks!

fx aid has decent bit reduction - with the xl there's a dedicated cv input for it and it's available over all algorithms - some of which are distortion type things - personally I'd go with that and beads - leaves more space for important things like utilities then
-- JimHowell1970

Thank you very much for that. I had no idea that the FX Aid XL had bit reduction functionality. It looks like a very good option.

I will keep that in mind.

All the best

Hi all.

I am building a small 3u rack with Beads as a core component. Recently, the Data Bender has been reeling me in with its bit reduction and general grit. There seems to be a sonic overlap with Beads and the Data Bender.

Is it overkill to include both in a small FX focused rig?

The following video is similar to what I have in mind.

https://m.

Thank you.

Thanks for your feedback. I learnt a lot from your comments.

All the best

alt text

Based on your feedback, I came up with this one. It looks like the Disting EX could cover many FX duties, so took out the dual FX and added the Pico DSP. On Ronin's recommendation, added the small Pico CV/ Audio Mixer to cover the extra 3hp. Finally, added the Pico RND for extra modulation and randomness.

Thanks again for your helpful comments.

The P/S for the Rackbrute is missing; you'll find it under "Arturia" in the manufacturer list. And I don't think that Neutron belongs in there, since it already has a cab and power on its own. You want to use the not-exactly-cheap Eurorack cab space for things that DON'T have those. Or, a better way to put it:

Rackbrute 6 = $359 @ 171 hp (176 - 5 for the P/S). $359/171 = 2.10 (ish). This is the cost per hp of each space in the cab.
Neutron cost = $329. A Neutron takes up 80 hp, so $2.10 x 80 = $168. This is the cost to house the Neutron in the Rackbrute, which you would then add to the Neutron's cost, giving you an ACTUAL cost for the Neutron of $497.00.

Honestly, you would probably be better off if you used the space the Neutron's stealing for a basic voice AND a good sequencer AND some modules to screw with timing for the interface with the Minibrute AND the Neutron. The above might look convenient, but it's going to cost you some real $$$ in the long run.
-- Lugia

Thanks very much for your detailed feedback, Lugia. I feel very fortunate to be able to ask experienced users these questions in this forum - it's a great learning tool, and saves beginners like me money.

Thanks for your point about adding the power supply to the build. I will have to add that to the rack.

I appreciate your thoughts on the redundancy of the Neutron. To be honest, this build will probably be a slow one, owing to finances, with the first rack (pictured) taking a while to come together, before stripping out the Neturon and adding another voice. For that, I thought of the Morphagene for its compatibility with Beads as a start.

I guess you may have already checked this one, but the combination of Morphagene and Beads seems like a real winner. Add to that a Pamela's and Akemi's, and I think I would be sorted for a while.

Once again, thanks a lot for your time and detailed comments.

All the best

If you're looking for pieces to add to your Neutron, it's okay. But if you remove the Neutron, you're pretty limited.

If you're going to buy a Disting, get the EX. It has more features and a better display. It can also do the work of two of the Mk4 Distings in most cases. A small submixer that can also handle DC would be nice. Rings, Filter 8, and the Disting can all act as oscillators and you might want to combine them or some CV in a patch.
-- Ronin1973

Thanks a lot for your comment above, Ronin1973. I really appreciate your feedback about the Disting Ex, and totally blanked on that when loading up the case. It really does look like an excellent addition to this set up.

I agree with your comments regarding an additional small DC (operable) mixer. Would you have any recommendations?

Thanks again!

alt text

Hi All,

I have just ordered the Minibrute 2s and am looking to purchase the Rackbrute 6U.

*I already have the Neutron and will look to sequence the rack with the sequencer on the Minibrute.
*Eventually I will look to replace the Neutron when funds allow.
*Joranalogue was included for juiciness and functionality (also considering the Polaris)

Is there any redundancy here or anything else I have overlooked?

I greatly appreciate any comments/ feedback.

Thanks!

Many thanks to you both for your replies. I am very grateful to be able to ask these questions here!

Thanks again for your comments, Jim! Point taken re LFO and functions.

I agree with you regarding the Neutron space hog issue, jb. Actually, it's a 'gas stop' until I can start filling the bottom rack;)

Many thanks again!

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1659134.jpg?1629091619

Dear all,

I am looking to enter the modular rabbit hole with the Minibrute 2s and Rackbrute 6u system.

I am looking for a versatile semi-mobile set up with the potential for live jamming with friends. Following feedback on previous racks, I have whittled it down to this set up.

Notes
• I already have a Neutron
• The sequencer on the Minibrute 2 s will be used for sequencing duties
• Feedback on previous rack posts mentioned the importance of utility modules. Would the 2 LFOs on the (Minibrute), patch bay on the Neutron and the Maths provide enough in this regard?

Here’s an improvisation to give an idea of the musical territory.

Any feedback would be welcome and much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on my post. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to give your honest appraisal and module suggestions.

Your post has given me few very useful hints regarding mono vs stereo in a modular rig.

Many thanks!

Ian

ModularGrid Rack

This will be mainly used for jamming with a group and solo exploration. Looking to sequence it with the Keystep Pro.

Would greatly appreciate your feedback before taking the plunge.

Here's a link to a solo improvisation below.

Many thanks!

Thanks greenfly. Those Dreadbox modules do look great! I have been lusting after the Typon for a good while now, too. :)

Thank you all for your feedback. I agree that this set up lacks modulation and sufficient mixing capabilities. Lots of food for thought. Thanks!

ModularGrid Rack

Hi all. I'm new to all this and would very much appreciate your opinions. Basically, I'm on a very tight budget and trying to set up a portable rack for groove/ ambient purposes and live jamming with my group.

I'm sure I must be overlooking some fundamentals. Thanks for any feedback!

• Pam's for clocking
  • New Cre8audio modules (bang for buck)
  • Envelopes, Amp & Mixing in the middle
  • Pico drum set in the middle
  • Mutable (enough said)