Ever since this migration, my password only works on one device at a time. So if I logged in on my phone and then attempt to log in on my pc, it tells me my username/password is invalid and makes me reset the password. If I then try to log back in on my phone, I get the same error and have to reset the password again. Is anybody else running into this?

I've lusted after the DFAM and Subharmonicon for a long time, but figured I'd try to defer my desire by approximating the functionality with equipment I already have. I patched this up last week, did a little live stream jam this past Wednesday, but figured I'd share it with y'all! Patch notes are in the video description, but largely features Pamela's New Workout, Ornament and Crime, and the Korg SQ-1 controlling a BARP 2600 with some extra LFOs/envelopes/VCAs and a filter, and then I decided to add some rhythmic stuff and a Telharmonic drone. Let me know what you think!

Thanks! I know Make Noise did some videos a few years back on some of the example patches, and with the new release JDanielCramer of Poly Krell fame started a new series as well. Good stuff!

Howdy everybody!

I got my copy of Allen Strange's book a few weeks ago from the Kickstarter and felt inspired. I put this patch together based on the Dream Machine patch on p85 and was pretty happy with the results, so I figured I'd share it here : )

Main voice is After Later Beehive (micro Plaits) 2op FM going through one of the low pass filters in QuBit Tone. I have it enveloped by Maths ch1, whose "Both" input gets the random CV from Wogglebug that determines the tempo, so slower tempos get longer notes and faster tempos get snappier notes. I'm sending a slower/subdivided selection of notes to Paradox, which is then mixed with some noise and fed into nRings to create the underlying pad. An even more sparse trigger gets sent to self-oscillating Ripples for some bass-y punches every once in a while.

The main sequence was created by mapping the positions of the letters of the alphabet to approximate positions on the sequencer's knobs (eg A = 0/26, B = 1/26, etc) and I used the letters A S T R A N G E as the shape of the sequence. It's then mixed with random voltage and quantized, but I still felt pretty clever haha

Hope you enjoy!

Link directly to rack for reference : )

ModularGrid Rack

It's extremely common for newcomers (myself a year ago) to want to start small and think it'll hold you off before you expand, but cases are a real expense. If you know you're going to expand, you might as well start with a case that will allow you to grow into it. I started with a Tip Top Happy Ending kit (3u, 84hp), got a second set of rails and mounted them in a box (6u, 84hp), but by month 4 or so I had already filled that and knew there was more functionality I needed. I recently got a 9u 104hp case from Case From Lake that closes patched and would recommend them in a heartbeat. It's just one guy out of Italy so took a little while for it to get finished, but well worth the wait. Otherwise, the Tip Top Mantis is the best bang for buck case, has a great power supply, and really is quite portable. Those Palette cases look cool, but are substantially more $/hp for what they are.

Looking at your assortment of modules, I think you will run into some additional needs quite quickly in terms of utilities, which in the Palette case you won't have room for. EG Monsoon reeeaaaalllly needs attenuation on modulation, and right now you only have the 2 vcas in the 1u row that can scale back in that way. Sloths is going to swing those parameters pretty wildly, particularly if you use those bottom +/- outputs which can go outside the +/-10v range. Sloths is also chaotic by nature, and I think you'll find that having something that can do "normal" LFOs is extremely useful.

Those are the things I've noticed for now. The modular journey is incredibly satisfying, but once it gets its claws in you you're going to move up in hp quite quickly : )

I agree with what others are saying; I'd shy away from more sound sources and focus more on mixing your modulation sources to make it more complex. I use the Doepfer Matrix Mixer with other offset/attenuation to vary the mix and degree of my modulation sources, and something like the TipTop Miso or the 4MS SISM fills a similar function in a smaller footprint. I would also say injecting a little bit of randomness really keeps things interesting. I know Pams has random waveforms, or I'm sure you can use one of the Distings for the purpose as well, but a little bit of slewed sample and hold or a designated random module like the Wogglebug (or Sloths if you dig the smoother chaos) goes a long way. Mix your modulation sources, run your modulation sources into a VCA and control it with another modulation source, mix and mingle with some feedback maybe (!?), send it to your cutoff or timbre controls and see which motions jive with your sounds. Apart from that, all great stuff in your rack! Have fun!

I have a Model D, Poly D, and a couple other small pieces of commodity/utility gear from Behringer, and agree that the accessibility of their reissue work has really opened the world of synths to a lot of people that otherwise wouldn't get into it. However, in addition to the examples of Dave Smith and Oberheim noted above, the latest scenario with Mutable Instruments last year is why I've decided to avoid their modular gear going forward. I know Emilie made the designs open source and that has been a big boon for smaller companies making clones or variations on the designs (After Later, Cal Synth, etc), but it's an entirely different scenario when a large corporation lifts the design without giving credit (Mutable Plaits -> Behringer Brains). If they end up producing their clones of the Synthi or the Music Easel, I might consider it, but I'll be thinking about it way longer and harder than I did when I bought my Boog clones.

So yes, buy the modules that interest you, but I think there's a place for personal responsibility in whom we support with our dollars.

Thanks for looking and for the feedback! Obviously I have a lot to learn, and appreciate the places to look into more. I had heard the terms exponential and linear used with VCAs but couldn't really conceptualize the difference. I had thought of stages primarily as an envelope generator, and it has a variable response that I thought I could get exponential, but was I mistaken? Does it do envelopes differently than something like Maths?

I had not heard about the issues with placing audio modules next to power supplies. Oops! More research and placement experimentation to come. As for other placement issues, my mental map was to have the Pam's and the VCAs near the center with my sequencing and sound sources on the left and sound shaping/modulation on the right, but still playing around with what feels comfortable to tweak in more of a performance setting.

Again, thanks for responding. I so appreciate seeing yours and others' feedback on racks. I know it must get tiring seeing all of us noobs coming in with so little understanding, but I'm grateful for your willingness to share your wisdom!

Hello All!

Heads up: this is mostly me just wanting to share my creation with humans who care, with a few questions at the end. I've only had my wife to share my excitement with and I don't want to exhaust her anymore : )

I've been lurking for the last few months, pulled the trigger in March and started building my dream synth. I've been doing droning/ambient things with electric bass and an old Moog Taurus v2 for a long while, and previously played with some other friends, but COVID and life changes meant I was making a lot more music on my own. I did some research and thought that the modular route would open a lot of sonic capabilities to let me make more complete audio experiments by myself.

I've spent more money than I thought I would give myself permission to (oops!) but my oh my this is one of the best decisions I've made in quite a while : )

I mostly like to have slow moving drones, introducing some generative melodies here and there with some rhythmic pulses ebbing and flowing. I love harnessed randomness, and adapting to how things are moving on their own. I plan on eventually playing other instruments alongside evolving patches from the rack, mostly in droning/ambient/generative territories.

Inspired by Mylarmelodies' videos on small systems and generative strategies, I wanted the Turing machine as my main melody generator, running that through the uO_c for mainly quantizing duties. I have it running hemispheres so I can use half for quant and half for AD/burst/Bernoulli/extra sequencer/whatever else I'm in need of. I recently got the ALM O/A/x2 that I put before the quantizer to play around with scaling and transposing the Turing cv before the quantizer, makes for some fun sweeps and recontextualizing. I'm also using the Morcom (aka Pulses) to trigger the note holds in uO_c to make for a sort of sample and hold, making less parallel but still related note information to pass to the sound sources. My other main CV source for pitch is pressure points. Sometimes I'll run direct from the outs to muiltiple sound sources, sometimes I'll run the 3 outs to a the Pico SEQS to make a longer sequence. I just got Beast's Chalkboard to do octave switching out of the uO_c before sound sources, which has been a nice addition. My main voice usually comes out of Beehive, bass and some counterpoint out of the halves of Paradox (sometimes running them off the same CV), and nRings sometimes is a voice of its own but I've been exploring using the IN for the exciter a little more recently, avoiding the Insta-ambient tones when I can haha

Hexamix for some VCA/mixing duties, Doepfer Octal VCA for the rest. Ochd is my main modulation source, I love using the slowest LFOs and inverted copies of them to control the faster LFOs to make the timing a little less regular. Pam's is main clock as well as some extra modulation. Stages is my main envelope source, if I have extra channels there I'll use them for S&H or LFOs. 4tten and Shades for some hands-on fine tuning as well as offset/static CV generation, uBurst and Pico DSP for effects. I've mostly used the Clouds clone as reverb with a little of the Clouds flourish, and DSP for delay.

I have an outboard Mackie mixer that I send everything into that has Aux sends/returns for the effect modules.

So now for my questions:

1) Everything in the pic I have and have been using except for the Brains. I've mostly just been using Pico SEQS with some offset voltage to limit it to the first 3 channels to run through the Pressure Points channels, and then I manually pick which pad's CV is being sent, so I have 4 3-step sequences. I don't plan on expanding PP to have 8 steps, and I'm wondering if it's still worth it to add brains?

2) The other thing I feel like I'd like is something like the Malekko Invert Mix. I use shades to invert Ochd LFOs, and it seems like kind of a waste of a shades channel if I could invert it separately someplace else. Is that a good plan? I have a sneaking suspicion that between 4tten, Shades, and O/A/x2 I'm using more Attenuators/verters than I should, maybe a little high on VCA count too, but honestly I use them. Maybe that means I'm over-patching, I don't know

3) I had initially gotten the ADDAC T-Noiseworks, I like the rhythms you can get out of Pulses and Pam's with random skip, and I sort of miss it. Should I go down in VCAs/Attenuators to get that back in? or just get a small kick drum module and gate some noise in the VCAs?

Thanks for letting me rant, I've so appreciated the insights many of you have had on other racks, I really feel like it's helped me start off on the right foot and not make regrettable purchases. Good stuff : )

Edit: link to rack ModularGrid Rack