Turns out that the rackbrute 6U doesn't have enough power for what i want to use the case for.
Rackbrute power is rated @ 1600 mAmps. Well its 2 times 800.

ModularGrid Rack

Turns out modules want a total of 1664 mAmps of +12V
What do u do?
Is there something like a mini 2hp powersupply with flying busboards i could install?
Sofar havent seen one

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Not sure there is a such a thing as a proper mains powered 2hp module, though if you can power via USB then there is this from Rakits https://www.rakits.co.uk/product/go/ which might let you lighten the load on the Rackbrute.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I guess that your cheapest option is a behringer cp1a in 4 hp.

Not sure there is a such a thing as a proper mains powered 2hp module, though if you can power via USB then there is this from Rakits https://www.rakits.co.uk/product/go/ which might let you lighten the load on the Rackbrute.
-- wishbonebrewery

That would imply that my pc would need to be running as well.
Don't like that idea but thnx for the suggestion.

I guess that your cheapest option is a behringer cp1a in 4 hp.

-- Slim

Thnx for the headsup.
I found a 2hp power + mult from endorphin. If no other options i'd probably go for thin one.
To be honest .... i just dont like the idea of another powerbrick on the desk.
I'm already starved for sockets as is. Anyone out there with a more elegant solution?

I'm pretty bummed out by this. why did arturia put a 104 row power module in a 176 hp rack?

-- wishbonebrewery

That would imply that my pc would need to be running as well.
Don't like that idea but thnx for the suggestion.

-- Chrissozz

That would imply that you need a Phone Charger Plug ;-) No computer needed, a computer would / could introduce a load of machine noise into your modular.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

i just dont like the idea of another powerbrick on the desk.
I'm already starved for sockets as is. Anyone out there with a more elegant solution?

there are power strips... they can often be hidden behind other things, or under tables/desks

another option is a different case with better power supply - tiptop mantis for example!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

One thing to keep in mind : It is not good to run the power supply at max load. It's a good rule of thumb to keep the power consumption between 50 - 70 % of the max load. So a power supply of 2A would be a strict minimum I think (it would be running @ ~80%). to maximise the space I would replace the Arturia PS which is 6hp by either a TipTop uZeus and you have 2hp free or 2 Behringer CP1A.

That said, I don't know your need in the -12v. The TipTop uZeus has a good +12v supply in 4hp but the -12v is kind of poor.
if needed more -12v 2 Behringer CP1A would do the trick and you still keep 4hp free

Can you split your rack into 2 seperate rows and give the links so we can have a more detaled consumption per row ?

One thing to keep in mind : It is not good to run the power supply at max load. It's a good rule of thumb to keep the power consumption between 50 - 70 % of the max load. So a power supply of 2A would be a strict minimum I think (it would be running @ ~80%). to maximise the space I would replace the Arturia PS which is 6hp by either a TipTop uZeus and you have 2hp free or 2 Behringer CP1A.

That said, I don't know your need in the -12v. The TipTop uZeus has a good +12v supply in 4hp but the -12v is kind of poor.
if needed more -12v 2 Behringer CP1A would do the trick and you still keep 4hp free

Can you split your rack into 2 seperate rows and give the links so we can have a more detaled consumption per row ?
-- Folkien

Why would a power supply not be able to operate at say 90/95% instead of 50 to 70% tho?

Currently running this setup.
ModularGrid Rack

This is the data sheet for it

6 Modules (2 passive) Row 1 79 HP max 80 mm 725 mA +12V 130 mA -12V 0 mA +5V
8 Modules (1 passive) Row 2 67 HP max 45 mm 650 mA +12V 481 mA -12V 0 mA +5V
14 Modules (3 passive) Total 146 HP max 80 mm 1,375 mA +12V 611 mA -12V 0 mA +5V

My initial plan was to end up with 2 rackbrutes 6U. Filling the cases as i go.
But if both of the cases need an extra powersupply i dont know if thats the way i want to go forward
Adding a 2hp power from endorphin.es wouldn't be the end of the world
But if i get a second rackbrute its gonna need one as well i guess
Currently pondering to build a case myself.

hi,
Usually power supplies give their best performance with loads of a maximum of 80%. Taking them to 90 or 100% makes them last less. Not to mention the temperature. Additionally, many digital modules cause consumption peaks when starting up, and if the source is already at its limit, they may not start correctly.

cases have power supplies that are designed to be sufficient when the case is filled with a reasonable distribution of module types - ie some digital, some analog, some passive... although some are just because they are cheap...

I've never been a fan of the rackbrute - don't like the design - and the power solution is m'eh - rackwart & all - the only reason I would suggest a rackbrute was if someone was expanding a minibrute2/2s & even then it's at a push and based on space requirements & even then I'd be railing against them!!! even the branding is too much... if I had one and wanted to play out with it, I'd have to gaffe tape the back to hide the branding - lest 1/2 the audience thought I was playing an arturia synth - not just using one of their. cases for a modular!

in my experience the tiptop mantis is one of the better powered cases - no rack wart!!! - sufficient for almost all audio applications - not quite up to it if tryiong to power a full compliment of gen2 LZX video synth modules - because the -12v is too low - but not far off! but that points towards getting creative with analog utilities etc (doepfer are great for this)

the b-company "clone" of the mantis - the go case - on the other hand - is underpowered imo - due to them making the case 40% bigger but failing to upgrade the power supply which is apparantly a direct clone of the mantis one - which is probablyu= fine if you fill it with their roland and moog clones - but start putting a load of high draw digital modules in it and you end up in the sasme boat as the OP

doepfer 6u racks are also very well powered - the 9u ones seem a bit underpowered to me... haven't looked at the rackspace to power supply ratio in their bigger ones though... but again I suspect the 6 u are fine and the 12 u are fine - but the 8u not so much!

if you follow the formula in my signature (it scales well from tiny to bigger than you can imagine) you are likely to not have problems with power in cases that have decent power supplies

if you are building your own case and adding power I recommend the befaco excalibus power supplies as very good - 1 per 6u works well and they are very quiet - no noticable ripple up into video rates (MHz, not just KHz for audio), no rackwart, equal -ve and +ve rails and available DIY - a simple if tedious build (due to the number of headers that need soldering) - & low form factor - all headers are on the edges, not upright

btw - there's a great primer on modular power in the stickies of the 3u & 1u subforum at modwiggler... including why you need to leave a load of headroom - see previous post for synopsis

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I've never been a fan of the rackbrute - don't like the design - and the power solution is m'eh - rackwart & all -
-- JimHowell1970

My experience of the Rackbrute wasn't good, Power module got so hot that is always smelled like melting plastic, sent it back, manufacturer repaired, lost confidence in the case and sold on. It even made my modules run hotter than my 2x TipTop UZeus power. Now I'm on Konstantlab power for my bigger case and my 2x small cases are on the uZeus and no overheating.

I've never been a fan of the rackbrute - don't like the design - and the power solution is m'eh - rackwart & all -
-- JimHowell1970

My experience of the Rackbrute wasn't good, Power module got so hot that is always smelled like melting plastic, sent it back, manufacturer repaired, lost confidence in the case and sold on. It even made my modules run hotter than my 2x TipTop UZeus power. Now I'm on Konstantlab power for my bigger case and my 2x small cases are on the uZeus and no overheating.

-- wishbonebrewery

Your experience makes me even less of a fan...

I quite liked the look and form factor of a double rackbrute 6U
Hadn't thougt that power would be an issue tho.
Guess anyone could have made that mistake starting out
For now i took out the chainsaw so i can still explore
I will be investigating a self build case tho.
My current studiodesk (also self built) needs replacing so .... i want cook up a new design with integrated rackspace.
Preferrably adjustable in hight as well.
@JimHowell
About those befaco excalibus power supplies?
What are their power rating and would any old weller soldering iron suffice to build it?

Happy nooding brothers

I quite liked the look and form factor of a double rackbrute 6U
Hadn't thougt that power would be an issue tho.
Guess anyone could have made that mistake starting out

it's a common issue - often found when a power supply starts failing...

For now i took out the chainsaw so i can still explore
I will be investigating a self build case tho.
My current studiodesk (also self built) needs replacing so .... i want cook up a new design with integrated rackspace.
Preferrably adjustable in hight as well.
@JimHowell
About those befaco excalibus power supplies?
What are their power rating and would any old weller soldering iron suffice to build it?
-- Chrissozz

I think they're 1.2A on both the +ve and -ve 12v rails - this should be sufficient for 2 rows, depending on the modules - I have a good distribution of digital (mostly mutable), analog and passive modules and can in most of my cases run 3 rows of up to 104hp from one easily - under 80% utilization - out of the 3 9u and 2 6u cases I run with them iirc only 1 needs a bit of help (a frequency central power supply for a few modules)

most of mine were built with a 25€ soldering iron - only the latest one was built with ny hakko - just be aware they're really time consuming (26 headers with 16 pins each)