Then I think you should probably use them for a while, and see what you think you are missing, and what you aren't using.

How many of these modules do you have already, and what case (if any) do you have?

Sweetwater has the Intellijel MIDI 1U, but not the µMIDI 1U, its predecessor, which is indeed discontinued. It's possible the OP wants the µMIDI 1U for some reason (cost?). Or maybe it's just that it's not marked as discontinued on ModularGrid.

(calculating an average price of $350/module, i still don't believe the $200 U.S. price tags, quad function generator $170-210!? - maths and rampage are dual generators, granted with more functionality going for something like $500/$600).
-- FatBerg

Maths will cost you $290 new, Rampage $330. TipTop's prices tend to be lower, and while things can happen with the current shortages and supply-chain issues, I wouldn't doubt their sincerity in trying to achieve that goal.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thread: Other VCAs

So, just to add a comment, the Brenso is (as I said) just an idea at present, so indeed, as Lugia says, if I want to go down that path for less money, I could try out the Tiptop/Buchla 258t. Of course, if it can do the same thing for a third of the price I'd be very happy - as many would.
-- joesh

The 258t will not do the same things as Brenso. It may do pretty much what you want, though, and it will be almost half the size and a third the price. Better direct points of comparison are the Buchla 259 and its Eurorack descendants, including ones made by Verbos, Instruō, Hexinverter, Endorphin.es, and others, which tend to be large and expensive also.

Thread: Other VCAs

If you like Falistri, you'll like Brenso. You'll be familiar with the smaller attenuverters and the tiny switches. The colour coding, layout, and iconography are similar. These were among the first modules I bought, and I enjoy them a great deal.

You might want something to do mixing.

Okay. You'll have to think carefully about a drone voice, and if you want it to be tonal, Mimetic will need a quantizer. I don't think there's anything terribly wrong with what you have so far.

What do you envision your rack doing, beat-wise, that you can't already do with your Digitakt? Keep in mind that if you're playing guitar, you're not really going to be playing either the Digitakt or your modular.

The category tags for modules need to be taken with a grain of salt. There is no substitute for reading the manuals and finding out what modules can actually do. Pam's New Workout, for example, is tagged with "Sequencer" and "Envelope Generator", but its capabilities in those two areas are fairly limited (though still useful).

Another approach, more "in the box" in that a digital module with sophisticated options is doing most of the work, but it's a popular module with many other uses. Synchronize Pam's New Workout to the beat, then set up a channel using the RSkip parameter to control the probability of output. Choose whatever waveform works for your accenting mechanism. You could want a boost in volume as the accent, but you could also send parameters to the source of the sound to alter it.

Thread: First build

I'm not an EU person (yet) and this is not an EU shop (though it once was), but I've had good service and selection from Elevator Sound in the UK (if the special relationship between the UK and Ireland has any effect here, which it may not).

Interesting to read that you had the same setup before moving on.
-- kvnlxm

I haven't moved on! I still have the DB-01 and Digitakt and use them, alone, with each other, and with my modular. The coupling can be as loose as sharing just clock, or I can send CV/MIDI information among them. But I have mostly not tried to do anything in the rack that I could reasonably approximate (or, in the case of the DB-01, exceed) outside it.

You can do a lot with Maths. You can do a lot with other DUSG-inspired modules as well. Some of the things you can do with modules are "Yes, that's clever, but it ties the whole module up and doesn't let me use it for more fundamental things".

Pam's is not a sequencer, as far as I'm concerned. It provides clock division and multiplication, synchronized LFOs of various shapes, Euclidean rhythms, some basic logic, clocked random CV that can be quantized (so random notes in a musical scale, but not a fixed sequence unless you dive in and use the LOOP function to repeat a random chunk – you can't write your own), and smooth random CV. It is not the most tweakable in the moment, but the menus are not too deep, and for set-and-forget it is terrific.

Personally, I think Maths is too large for a case this size, though that's clearly a minority view. Consider the Cosmotronic Delta-V, cheaper and half the size. It can't do everything that Maths can, but it can do some things that Maths can't, and that gets you 10hp to fill as you see fit. Pam's is really useful!

why I would want to go bigger if my goal is to have a reasonably simple single voiced synth with effects
-- keefo

If you just want that, you can get a fixed-architecture synth for a few hundred dollars, and have fun with it. Part of the point of modular is to be able to modulate in flexible ways. Count up the number of modulation inputs you have among Plaits, Forbidden Planet, Chronoblob2, and Afterneath. Now count up the ways you have to generate independent or even linked modulation. Maths can do a lot, but not nearly enough. The Mantis gives you room to expand. You don't have to use it right away, or ever, but chances are that you will want to.

I had a DB-01 and Digitakt before I started buying modules. Honestly, I think you should get the DB-01 and work with it, then see what you are still missing and want from modular. It will be expensive to build up modules that come close to what the DB-01 offers, and the DB-01 has three CV inputs (in addition to clock in/out and MIDI in/out) and a hot output, so it can be easily hooked up to a rack in future. Erica Synths does have a Bassline module (I suspect it shares much circuitry with the DB-01) but it lacks noise, synced LFO, and most importantly the seriously playable sequencer that really puts it into 303 territory. I know this is a modular forum and I should be talking up Eurorack, but sometimes the alternative is better.

I've also been interested in Three Sisters.
-- new_moon

Three Sisters, like Just Friends and W/, is currently unobtainable, unless you pay well above list price for a second-hand one. There are lots of choices of filters; again, it comes down to your taste.

Some noise modules will have S&H included (e.g. Doepfer A-118-2), but there are modules that provide S&H for arbitrary inputs (e.g. Joranalogue Select 2). Suppose you are generating pitch CV from an LFO or some complex combination of LFOs, maybe put through a quantizer. You want to hold the pitch for the duration of the envelope controlling amplitude. An S&H (triggered by the envelope's EOC output) can do that. The upcoming Joranalogue Step 8 is eight sample-and-hold circuits with various linking and control options. You can play a short sequence in by sampling at arbitrary points, and then play it back with a different rhythm entirely, and alter it on the fly.

So, just to clarify, a VCA will replace the attenuator knob in a Quadratt channel with a CV input, so that one CV can control the amplitude of another signal. This is what you need to apply a volume envelope to an audio signal (the envelope "turning the knob"), but it is also useful for changing modulation signals in various ways. As stated above, some VCAs will amplify a signal beyond its original amplitude, which can be useful (for example, in bringing signals from other synths into Eurorack, which has different standard levels). The recent revision of Veils is currently unavailable (a worldwide chip shortage is affecting the industry and others as well), but fresh supplies are expected in the next few months. There are a number of alternates based on the older version available, notably the Intellijel Quad VCA, or you may get lucky on the used market.

Maths is very popular, but certainly not required, especially if you have Quadrax. You can wait and see if you want it or one of the alternatives. I suspect most users don't demand more from Maths than Quadrax can provide. It's also quite wide.

With a larger case you can get both Pam's and Data, but either way, get Pam's first (or at the same time). It's really useful and usable. Data has a lot of added features, but you can only use one of them at a time (with the exception of fixed voltages, which you can use with other modes). So if you're using it as a clock, you have to stop doing that to use the oscilloscope, and then what you want to look at might be gone.

Quadrax is a newer version of Quadra and is also very useful, though it takes some study to grasp the added features. You can pretty much use it like Quadra soon after installation, ignoring the more complicated stuff. That's also true for a more complicated oscillator (and I don't think Dixie II+ is much more complicated than STO). You don't have to use FM or flip sync until you want to. (And Data helps when you do.)

Let me be the first to tell you to get a bigger case and take your time populating it.

I agree that Data is educational and useful (I have one myself for those reasons) but you can't really afford the space. I would suggest Pam's New Workout, which gives you clocks and a whole lot more. Either Pam's or Data can do the clock divisions of the A-160 on their regular clocks. If you have an irregular gate sequence you want divided, that's another matter. You should go for the A-160-2 instead of the A-160, and Quadrax instead of Quadra. Pam's can do basic logic, so hold off on the 1U logic tiles, maybe. I wouldn't choose Plaits and STO but you know the sound you're looking for. Maybe consider Dixie II+ instead of STO. Just Friends and W/ are unobtainable and probably will be for a while, and René is pretty hard to get hold of.

Edit: you're going to need VCAs if you want to use those envelopes to shape sounds.

Two Ladik A-520 (quad line->Eurorack boost) and two 3xMIA will get you six channels in 20hp for about $250. Add a third 3xMIA if you want all eight. But honestly I'd wait and see what you really need in practice, or get one A-520 (or an A-525, two in either direction) and one 3xMIA, both of which will have many other uses.

Our posts crossed and I didn't see your reply, so here is an addendum. For evolving textures in Eurorack, I look to slow modulation sources that can provide CV to FM and wavefolders of VCOs. To complement my Elektron boxes and other out-of-rack gear, I look to analog VCOs with, well, lots of modulation options. I'm not particularly impressed by wavetables, in or out of rack, but this is a personal opinion. My VCOs are Frap Tools Brenso and (just arrived) Joranalogue Generate 3.

I have a DB-01 and love it, so I understand your thinking, but: the DB-01 is a tweak on the Erica Synths Bassline module, and you may have noticed that the output is really hot? If you turn it up to max, it is at Eurorack level. So you can turn the DB-01 envelopes full open, and then feed it pitch, gate, and filter cutoff CV, and take the output straight back into your rack for further processing. Yes, you can't use the DB-01 filter for anything else, but you don't want two of those sounds around, really. Of course, you can just sync clock, use that great DB-01 sequencer, and mix in the sound separately.

Delta-V is my suggestion for replacing Maths. It doesn't have the logic or skew limiter, but you can get those from Disting (one at a time) and see if you need specialized modules for those purposes. I chose Frap Tools Falistri over Maths, but that is more of a boutique choice, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to everyone. Each of the two Falistri envelopes does quite well as a VCO that can track V/oct while holding pitch as shape changes (for timbre), unlike Maths. Quadrax can do this also, but with less timbre variation, and more nuisance in dialing in pitch, and it doesn't sound as good.

MI Stages is another matter, and what I am watching in this space is the announced but not yet released Joranalogue Step 8. At this point, slow acquisition may be forced on you, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Just try to get an initial set of modules (50-80 hp at most) that are usable and will not frustrate you.

Some more suggestions. Think carefully about the 2hp modules. They may not be as usable as you think. Do you need an ADSR? For me it seems more useful for keyboard-driven sounds. A Cosmotronic Delta-V gives you two AR envelopes and two VCAs in 10hp. You can probably lose the 2hp VCA. As for the Buff, you already have one buffered multiple in Links. You only need buffering for pitch CV, so needing two would imply four VCO-type destinations, and you don't have that many. Stars or stackables can take care of other duplication, 0hp and much lower cost. Instead of Miso, I would suggest Klawis Mixwitch (same hp, more functionality), and instead of the Polivoks VCF, I would suggest Bastl Ikarie or another stereo filter with character. At this point you can just remove Maths, hold the space for future expansion, and see if you miss it. My guess is that you won't.

Can you say more about how the Cloud Terrarium appeals to you and how you might use it? The choices of the Polivoks VCF and Plonk seem curious given you have a DB-01 and an Analog Rytm. Did you consider doing your sample manipulation out of rack, with a 1010music Blackbox or a Digitakt? I also think Maths might be too large for this rack.

Another data point, for what it's worth: I ordered from Detroit Modular and Perfect Circuit when the Hallowe'en sales were announced on the evening of Oct 27. Detroit Modular free shipping was via USPS, which arrived the morning of Oct 30. It is Nov 1, and the Perfect Circuit order (also free shipping, but FedEx) is crawling across the country, currently in Iowa.

I know that Postmaster General DeLay is trying to ruin USPS, but if we stop using it, he will win.

Pam's sync input capability is great for me because my Elektron boxes can put out DIN sync on a MIDI out or thru port, and ALM sell a $10 cable that splits that into the 3.5mm clock (24 ppqn) and run input signals that Pam's needs. And as you point out, Pam's is really useful in many other ways. But the OP's Tascam 12, as far as I can tell from the manual, only puts out MIDI clock and not DIN sync.

Those DIN MIDI to 3.5mm MIDI cables and adapters will not produce the kind of clock signals needed in Eurorack. They just convert between different physical plug formats. I think Lugia's suggestion of the Ladik M-221 is the most inexpensive solution. Pam's is a nice module but it needs 24 ppqn to sync (lower ppqn is possible but not recommended) and the Tascam 12 doesn't provide that.

My thinking was similar to OP's. I have a good delay/reverb pedal and a couple of Elektron boxes (A4, Digitakt) that, in addition to supplying percussion and sequencing, can take stereo input (or dual mono) and apply effects and panning. The one in-rack effect I have is Sarajewo, because the BBD sound is hard to approximate, and it offers the possibility of customizing the feedback loop. Using the T1 and T2 taps also gives a reverb-like effect. I'm keeping an eye on granular options but no purchases so far.

Loads of good stuff there. You've already decided to go slow on the Blck_Noir so you have time to see if it's really needed. I just watched the two-hour video on the Neóni, and even though I don't intend to get one, it was really quite informative and gave me many good ideas to take back to my own complex oscillator (Brenso). Best of luck with your acquisitions and learning!

Klawis Logica XT is 5hp and might restore parity, but it’s not a straight swap for anything. Basil Ikarie is stereo (and does a lot of cool things) but 8hp. knob.farm Hyrlo is 3x stereo or 6x mono in 4hp, but it won’t overdrive. No easy answers here.

Layout you can easily change as you learn more through direct use, so don't worry too much about that. Availability is an issue right now. Mutant Brain is hard to get hold of; Steppy slightly less so. Make sure you won't be frustrated by learning using Mimetic Digitalis and one channel of MIDI-CV from Disting (plus what you can get from your semi-mods). I'm not sure that the sound of Chainsaw fits with the kind of music you listed in your original post. It is tempting because of the paraphony, but then you need enough pitch CV to drive it (not many in-rack sources right now, and by the way, pitch CV is the only reason to have Link 2, otherwise cheaper stackables or stars suffice). You might consider Instruo Ts-l (which has a wavefolder, so maybe Bifold won't be necessary right away). For mixing, I would suggest, instead of the two Mixups, a knob.farm Hyrlo and a Doepfer A-138s. (If you have off-rack effects, knob.farm Ferry is quite useful, but they say November at the earliest for that one.)

My experience was that my design changed not only several times before I bought my first module, but also as I started acquiring modules and learning about them. Think about the initial purchases and how they might best inform your future choices.

I don't own a Rample, but from the fact that the stereo sample support was added later, and there is no mention of pan (only level) in the manual, I'm guessing it's mono.

Lugia's rebuild, as usual, is ambitious and gives much food for thought. I always learn a lot from these, even for situations that I'm unlikely to find myself in. I will point out that the Klawis Twin Waves is digital, replacing the Nano Ona, which is analog, if that makes a difference (it may not).

A few thoughts, not a comprehensive answer. If you have a pedal board you like, I think it's best to use that at first, unless there is an effects module that you can't match outside the rack. Maths is indeed big for a case this size and if you're using it primarily for envelopes and LFOs, yes, there are smaller alternatives. Common wisdom on semimodulars that come with cases, like the SV-1b or the Moog DFAM/Subh/M32, is to leave them in their cases. That gets you space for modulation and utilities. There are smaller Elements clones, but ergonomics will be worse.

For a small effects rack, especially if you want to continue to use Ableton, you probably want to focus on effects that you can't get on your computer. FX Aid XL is a good in-rack choice for its size and variety, but I don't think it does anything that you can't do better outside a rack. You can try VCVRack for free and see how you like it. That might also be a good way to learn what modulation and utilities you need, though some effects or processors you might want to use in a physical rack won't be available, like Beads.

Maths is big for a rack this size. I prefer Falistri, but it's only slightly smaller. These both have many uses but you may not need their full functionality. Do you know what you want to use them for? Cosmotronic Delta-V is half the size of Maths and does much of what it does. If you just want basic envelopes, you can get smaller and simpler modules (and of course you can get envelopes and LFOs out of the computer also).

In summary, I think your modulation needs depend heavily on the particular physical effects modules you wish to use, and some manual reading and demo watching might shed light on that.

Plenty there to keep you busy for a while. You'll enjoy the Listen 1/4, but if you want line in, you could go with the Listen I/O and some sort of stereo mixer, like the Doepfer A-138s. The Salmple can boost one mono line in to Eurorack level, but that's not a long-term solution.

Ladik is only available from Ladik - they are easy to get hold of you just buy them direct!!!
-- JimHowell1970

Ladik ships to a limited set of countries, and Australia is not among them.

A few comments. I won't quote what I'm responding to, hopefully it's not too confusing.

Think of a patch cable coming from an audio source in your rack as a VERY LOUD signal. You just have to get the right plug on the other end, put it into your mixer or Digitakt input after having turned the level to zero, then slowly turn it up to taste. An output module will mean you're not tied to your mixer or Digitakt. Convenience, not necessity.

You can use Pam's to quantize an external signal. But it wasn't made for that purpose, the manufacturer says there could be latency issues, and it uses up one or both of the CV inputs. I've been considering uO_c for quantization and what is commonly but incorrectly called a Turing machine, but I'm also considering other options. My sequencers already quantize; I need a quantizer for CV that isn't coming out of a sequencer. You don't need a quantizer for MD if you're willing to tune by ear and not use "shred" randomization. But if you need to quantize MD to use it (say, to alter a melodic sequence on the fly), then maybe think about a different sequencer.

"Menu-diving" covers a host of usability issues, and they're different for different modules. The issue with Pam's is that most interaction is done with a single push encoder. It does about as well as it can given that limitation, it does a lot of very useful things, and the menu structure isn't too deep. But going between the channel overview and a particular channel's parameters is a one-second long press. That's longer than it sounds in practice, and really breaks up the interaction. It wouldn't be easy to, say, tweak two separate Euclidean rhythms. I haven't used uO_c, but based on the documentation, the issue there is more with a complicated menu structure. There are two buttons and two knobs, so the interaction will be quicker in one sense, but longer in different ways. Quantization is usually set-and-forget, but other functions might need more tweaking while playing.

I have the Intellijel Quad VCA, but am still considering Veils 2020, because the sliders on Veils 2020 correspond to the small attenuators on the IJ, which I use more than the large level knobs. There are a lot of VCAs out there, so maybe you can tell us which ones are available at your retailers of choice?

It's hard to see the modules in the first video (except for the Verbos Complex Oscillator, MD, and Morphagene) but the patch notes are pretty good. Both videos rely on effects: just a delay in the second one (and I can't see the patching but I don't think it's doing anything too complicated) but Clouds and Morphagene in the first, so delay, reverb, granular, loop manipulation. If that's part of the sound you want, then you need to think about how to achieve it. FX Aid XL will get you part of the way there... but it's another Happy Nerding module, so it may be hard for you to acquire. You also have the Elektron effects at end of chain, and I guess the mixer effects if you want to use those. Between the Elektron effects and a good external pedal I have (plus a send/return module so I can put that in the middle rather than only at end of chain), I find it hard to justify any in-rack effects currently, and that doesn't even take into account the ability to use my laptop or iPad in various ways. The one exception is an analog BBD delay (Sarajewo). But that's me; your needs are different.

I want to underscore what Lugia said about MD needing a quantizer, if you want to play notes in tune (not needed for triggering samples or percussive sounds). The Ladik Q-040 isn't available right now, and Ladik may not ship to Australia anyway. Honestly, I would wait on MD, and see what you can do without it at first. It shouldn't have supply issues if you want it later (famous last words...).

Maths isn't needed but some sort of envelope generator would be nice, since Pam's is limited in that respect. There are lots of possibilities.

3xVCA, if you can get it, is a fine bridge to Veils 2020, and will still be useful afterwards. I don't think any of the Veils clones or modules inspired by Veils (e.g. Intellijel Quad VCA) have the same four-slider interface as Veils 2020, but I could be wrong.

Thread: First Try

If you had mentioned the Sarah Belle Reid video as a motivation in your first post, the responses might have been different. Along those lines, context on what other synths, grooveboxes, samplers, or keyboards you have owned or own now, what if anything you plan to use alongside Eurorack, and more than one word ("ambient") about what you hope to achieve would also help.

I watched the video, and while she makes some good points, others are contradictory. She's right to say start small and slowly, but she conflates starting with a few modules and using a small case. She is doing that for performance, but she's probably not performing with just what you see. There is probably more extensive sequencing, drum machines, effects pedals, a mixer, and so on. More importantly, she knows a lot about what she is doing, and is not a beginner.

She says 2-3 sound sources... in 84hp. That's half the rack, leaving not much other space for other things. She has two Functions because Maths wouldn't fit. Maths is two Functions plus more, so all of them together unbalance your rack. Even Maths alone is rather wide. There are smaller alternatives, like the Cosmotronic Delta-V, or Quadrax. (There are also smaller clones of the Mutable Instruments modules, but ergonomics are an issue.)

She is also using an 0-ctrl, and you said nothing about external sequencing. That's why she chose Shifty, to mix up the sequence coming in, but it doesn't really make sense for your rack by itself. Marbles can generate random sequences, Plaits is a sound source, Ikarie both a sound source and sound shaper, Veils a good quad VCA and mixer. That leaves you some space, and you should think about how to use it. I don't think it's impossible to put together 104hp that will sound good. But you might find it limiting and give up, or decide to get a bigger case. If the second, the smaller case can still be useful to you, or you can sell it.

As for semi-modular, at the risk of muddying the waters further, I will mention something I was considering before I went full Eurorack: the Pittsburgh Modular SV-1b Blackbox, and a Korg SQ-1 (or a small keyboard that puts out CV) for about $800 total.

what would you recommend be the first, say, 5-7 modules to get me started with?
-- charliechunk

You're getting a lot of advice, but you're the one who knows best what you want to do with your devices. Treat everything as potentially useful information rather than authority. And go slowly!

Of the modules Lugia added, I own the A-138s, Quadrax, Qx, and 3xVCA. These would all be useful immediately (you wouldn't think the mixer would... but Quadrax can provide oscillators also!). Happy Nerding modules are hard to get hold of. I actually use the 3xMIA even more than the 3xVCA; it sits next to some free-running LFOs from one of those boring modules you'll eventually consider. Pam's and Quadrax can attenuate their envelopes/LFOs but neither is convenient to tweak on the fly. I love Frap modules, but I was advised to get the Klawis Mixwitch over 321. It does a lot, and has a nice feature that makes it easy to zero out an attenuverter (though harder to sweep through zero).

Remember that OS 1.3 means your Digitakt can mix input from your modular, pan it dynamically, and apply its effects (and a similar Digitone update is considered likely). Both the Digitakt and the A&H can deal with Eurorack-level signals, but an output module is convenient. I like my Befaco Out v3, which has a cue input to let me audition part of a sound without repatching.

You're welcome! There aren't stock issues with the Salmple like there are with many modules, it seems, but if you give in to temptation, I'm sure it won't be a disaster, and will probably be a lot of fun.

Pam's is the one module in your proposed setup that I have direct experience with, and I highly recommend it. When I said it was maxed out, I meant "EVEN Pam's is pushed to the limit here". I think it should be in your first purchase, more so than the filter (I have two, but for me they don't loom as large in modular as they do with Elektron boxes). It will help you to figure out what more boring modules you will want to complement the exciting ones.

however from what I've seen, those modules seem to be the only ones the guy was using. In his later videos you can actually see him expanding his rack, so I doubt he has a bigger collection stored elsewhere - that's why I made the exception that maybe I could imitate this system while starting as it looks like he can do so much already with those limited modules, which would probably keep me busy for a long time while figuring out what else to add down the line.
-- charliechunk

They are fine modules and you can get good sounds out of them. There are many more small racks out there copied off Ricky Tinez videos. But as for their possible bigger collection: the first YouTube video was posted in June 2020. In October 2020, there's a promo for a Bandcamp album release, which pans over a much larger setup. And, looking on Bandcamp, their first modular album release was January 2020.

For my first 6u x 104hp, I chose not to put in a sampler, granular processor, or any percussion-specific module (I have a Digitakt, Digitone, A4, Model:Cycles). A sampler is not necessarily overkill, but you should think about how you are going to use it, because there are a number of alternatives. The Salmple might be overkill if you don't want to record on the fly, for example.

In the video thumbnail, one can see that the Pam's is pretty much maxed out. Adding modulation sources and ways of transforming and combining them might be something to consider.

WiggleHunt is a pretty good service, but as it's largely (entirely?) automated, it has its weaknesses. It won't show shipping costs for Reverb listings, and these can be prohibitive across oceans. On the flip side, it will sometimes include VAT when out-of-country orders don't have to pay it. These are understandable, as it's not asking for the location of the person querying, and it would be hard to take that into account anyway. Sometimes it shows new listings when the fine print on the seller's page says "out of stock" or "on back order". That's the case with what it shows for Veils 2020 right now.

If you simply want sync, you can get the MIDI expander for Pam's New Workout.
-- Ronin1973

The Digitakt and Digitone can output DIN Sync, so you just need the $10 cable from ALM to get clock/run into PNW. If you want to sequence your modular from the Elektron boxes, you'll need MIDI to CV (the 0-coast has some capability, though it is a nuisance to use). If you want to go the other way (say, to get Euclidean rhythms driving the Digitakt), you'll want something with CV->MIDI capabilities, for which there are fewer options (but some exist).

I'm pretty new to this, but I don't think you should base your rack on a video made by someone for whom this is just a fraction of their collection. Also consider availability of modules. I don't know where to get the Veils 2020 at this point in time. Since your 0-coast is already on the way, I say give that a month while you learn how to use it by itself and with what you have. I bet that changes your mind on some things.

Glad my comments were of some use to you!