Hello Subharmonicon wizards,

I prefer controlling the pitch of my Subharmonicon with external MIDI instead of the internal sequencers. While doing this, I have to have the Play button unlit, or else the envelopes won't trigger. However, now I feel like I'm wasting a pair of great 4-step sequencers here that I could use to control other parameters. Ideally, I would like to clock the sequencers with the MIDI clock or an external analog clock signal, but without the resulting trigger overriding or otherwise interfering with my MIDI sequence. Currently, when Play is lit, the internal sequencers advance, but my external sequence doesn't get through. When Play is unlit, the external sequence goes through, but the internal sequencers don't advance. Damned/mildly inconvenienced if I do it, damned/mildly inconvenienced if I don't.

Does anyone have a solution for this? There are two SysEx files at the Moog website, labeled subharmonicon_seq_transport_on / off, respectively, but the forum page with instructions or comments on their exact workings does not exist anymore. Does anyone know if these could help? Is there another way to hack it?

Regards

tbh the SBH and midi just don't work together nicely when using (external) pitch and clock. Patching it with the patchbay however is a different story and really opens up the instrument. If I'm using an external pitch sequence (patched into f.i. VCO1 in), I like to use the internal sequencer to modulate that external sequence, add/subtract voltages on certain polymetric steps etc. This also works with midi sequences (using the internal sequencers to modulate your midi sequence).

The transport_on/off sysex files - there's also 16 sysex files to set the midi channel - will tell the SBH to listen to external midi clock (default is ON). If you send midi clock with your midi signal, this will override the internal and external analogue clock (if patched). ou can also filter out any midi clock related messages in your DAW or midi device.

To use the internal sequencers, the PLAY button must be enabled. With the EG button lit and only when the sequencers advance, it will fire a trigger and open the VCA. If you patch the CLOCK output into TRIGGER leaving midi clock running, it will trigger the EG on every 16th note. If you pull out the CLOCK patch cable, the EG returns to being triggered by the sequencers.
Default is OR logic, so it will trigger on any step SEQ1 or SEQ2 advances. There's also an optional XOR setting (midi cc113: 0-63 = OR, 64-127 = XOR).

If you want to use those sysex files: use something like sysex librarian. It's fairly straightforward: select the correct midi output, load the sysexfile and run it. The connected midi divice should automatically receive the incoming data.

Hello Subharmonicon wizards,

I prefer controlling the pitch of my Subharmonicon with external MIDI instead of the internal sequencers. While doing this, I hav , or else the envelopes won't trigger. However, now I feel like I'm wasting a pair of great 4-step sequencers here that I could use to control other parameters. Ideally, I would like to clock the sequencers with the MIDI clock or an external analog clock signal, but without the resulting trigger overriding or otherwise interfering with my MIDI sequence. Currently, when Play is lit, the internal sequencers advance, but my external sequence doesn't get through. When Play is unlit, the external sequence goes through, but the internal sequencers don't advance. Damned/mildly inconvenienced if I do it, damned/mildly inconvenienced if I don't.

Does anyone have a solution for this? There are two SysEx files at the Moog website, labeled subharmonicon_seq_transport_on / off, respectively, but the forum page with instructions or comments on their exact workings does not exist anymore. Does anyone know if these could help? Is there another way to hack it?

Regards
-- theneweuropa

My music on Bandcamp - Instagram - YouTube