Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in some 2HP gear and had a question about the functionality of their TM module. I'm interested in using the TM alongside a quantizer and sending the signal into the 2HP Pluck (on top of a drone and drenched in reverb and delay). The appeal, of course, is that I could get a certain degree of randomness, but I could control it using the parameters on the TM and the quantizer.

My question, though, is can you lower the tempo of the TM (does it send a gate signal, basically?), or is the output fixed in that sense? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I used the Brain Surgery feature via Hex Inverter's website to create the SysEx file, but I don't see a space on there that specifies Omni-Mode. Did I overlook it? The clock tick works fine, but the MB registers it even before I hit play on Cubase. Is that normal?

I just picked up a Mutant Brains, and like many folks interested in the module, I'm hoping to use it to allow my digitakt to control my eurorack rig. I've installed the module and I've sent a sysex file to it via Midi-OX. The lights on top of the unit blinked, but something's still off. To test it, I'm sending a basic midi track from Cubase out of my Scarlet 18i8 and into the Mutant Brains. (I'm sending it on ch 6.) The patch is mutant brains cv out to STO, mutant brains gate to Quadra, Quadra envelope to Quad VCA cv in, STO sub out to Quadra in, Quadra out to my output module.

The sound I'm getting is glitchy. When a single sustained midi note plays in the Cubase sequence, I'm getting lots of random notes that play from the STO. The Sysex settings are all pretty basic (inputs on ch 5-8, CV outs all set to "first note pitch," and then gates 1-4 all set to "first note on" and gate. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Always appreciate your input, Lugia.

I appreciate these descriptions! Because of the range of experimentation that the morphagene provides, and its ability to incorporate field recording samples into the mix, I'm leaning more in that direction. I never thought of the clouds as a kind of one-trick pony, but I agree that the one trick it does is a really cool one!

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in cinematic, evolving soundscape work, and I'm debating between waiting for the new version of clouds or breaking down and getting a morphagene. I understand that these are two very different modules, but I'm primarily interested in live granular manipulation. The brain of my setup is a digitakt, but I don't see the sample functionality of the morphagene as redundant. (Is this correct? The DT's capabilities are huge, but it won't do what the morphagene does, at least not as easily).

I've got 22 free hp. The new clouds is rumored to be 14, so that's a big bonus.

Curious to know everyone's thoughts, especially folks who are interested in ambient, soundscape-type music.

Thanks!

Hey Wedoh,

I was in a very similar position a while back and a number of folks on here helped me out with some good advice (esp. Lugia). I wanted to make ambient, generative patches with a 7u synthrotek case. I'm sharing a picture of my rig just for reference purposes. I own all of these modules, save for the Disting, Plaits, and a few of the 1u tiles. Happy to share my thoughts on specific modules and patches if you're interested.

ModularGrid Rack

I'm looking for a long, slow glide effect in a 1u tile, something to create a slow guitar bend sound that can then be treated with big ambient reverb and delay. Am I right to assume that I can accomplish this with something like a pulp logic slew tile?

Hi everyone,

I've got a 4ms row power 40 and I'm looking to power a 7u synthrotek 84hp case. I think my options include flying bus cables or bus sticks. One order of the flying bus cables includes 13 headers, but I'll need 15 plus another for a row of 1u tiles. This is my first rig, and I'm not sure if I should get a combination of cables and a bus stick, or if I can chain the bus cables together? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Hi everyone,

I've been working on this rig for a while and I wanted to reach out with two specific questions.

First: what do you think of the power supply? I recently acquired the 4ms row power 40 because it seems like the best option. But if I get the 4ms flying bus cables, I only get 13 male header pins via two cables and it looks like I'll need a few more to fully power all the modules. Is there an easy way around this? (Sorry if this is a noob question.)

Second: I originally planned on the Pulp Logic 1u mixer, but it's currently unavailable. I'm looking for something simple that will function as a master out, so two 1/4" outs or a stereo 1/4" headphone out is preferred. The Synthrotek mixer is the only one I could find. Looks like it pretty much does the same thing, plus it has some panning options. Are there other 1u mixers I should be looking at? I have a Synthrotek 84hp 7u case, so anything by Intellijel is out, unfortunately.

Big thanks-

ModularGrid Rack

WUT!? This is enormously helpful! I'm going to need a while to digest all of this, but the possibilities you've suggested are really exciting. That the model D and Digitakt are so easily incorporated into this rig makes it extra exciting. I'm far from being in a position to purchase all of these modules at once, but I like the idea of getting a single Plaits and A111-3, power supply, usb-midi interface, etc--basically everything for a single voice--and then slowly building it up from there. The Pulp Logic tiles are reasonably priced, too, so incorporating them shouldn't be too bad I forgot to mention earlier, but the case I picked up also included a Mix A and a Mix B (which, I gather, is for mixing audio and CV respectively?)

I also like the incorporation of the Bautumi. I've been eyeing it for a while and I think the long, slowly-morphing sounds that I've got in mind will more easily come to life with a quad LFO. The demos online are really inspiring. Videos for the Disting are also pretty exciting. Tons of functionality in a very small space, for sure.

Lugia, for real, I've spent so many hours watching videos and trying to assemble a rig on my own, but your thoughtful comments have seriously helped to steer me in the right direction. Big thanks again!

whoa, that spam post got weird really fast...

First, enormous thanks, Lugia, for the thoughtful response. I agree that using the Model D on its own would be the best bet. Unfortunately (but also kinda fortunately), I was lucky enough to pick up some pieces to start assembling my set up, and they were the ones you recommended I rethink. So far I've got the synthrotek case, a lo-fi, and a magneto. I've got a microbrute that will allow me to use the effects, but I'd like to expand the rack to contain full synth voices and effects that I can control via a midi sequencer. Eventually, my goal is to expand into something capable of more complex and generative patches. Thanks, too, to m1sterlurk, for the input on the power supply. I think keeping the Model D on it's own will allow me to stay in the safe zone of 80% consumption.

Thanks for the feedback, Lugia. I might have to get a 3u uMidi in place of the tile option. I was planning to use the clock out from the uMidi to send to the RCD (and other places), but you're not thinking that's a good idea? Are there alternatives that you might recommend?

As for the tile row, I'll probably see if I can get Pulp Logic pieces or other makers that do fit into the synthrotek cases.

I figured it would be wise to keep the Model D in its own case, but I liked the idea of having everything all together. The Synthrotek case has a cool splash-proof top, and I was hoping to take it to a show and load in in a single trip. I guess that's not entirely possible now, but with the new space it opens up, I'm curious if there are any essential pieces that I'm missing here.

Again, any and all help is much appreicated.

Hi everyone,

I just made the jump into eurorack and I'm looking to create atmospheric and ambient music: long, slowly evolving sounds with interesting percussive textures that gradually emerge and dissappear. I'll be sending data to the system with a Digitakt, hence the uMidi. My case is a synthrotek 84hp 6U +1U.

ModularGrid Rack

I'm curious what others think about the setup. Am I missing anything essential? Are there redundancies that I should address? Your help is much appreciated. A brief rationale for each module is below.

Thank you for your time!

Model D - an easy way to get a complete synth voice. I plan to use it for drones and patch other sources through its filter for interesting effects. The ext audio in is also cool.

Lo Fi - I'm looking for warbles and a way to treat big atmospheric freeze effects with a cassette tape hue

Magneto - great way to create complex delays with simple melodic and/or percussive sequences

Clouds - useful for ambient work, freeze effects, and more

Ripples - I need a filter beyond the model D. This seems nice.

Quad VCA - You can never have too many VCAs. This one seems useful for controlling all sorts of modulations with the effects.

2hp Euclidean - cool rythmic tool for controlling effect parameters on Magneto, Lo-Fi, and maybe clouds?

4ms Clock Divider - cool way to use Plaits as a percussion tool and get different kinds of sounds, all in sync. Shift function is also a plus.

Plaits - This seems like a great VCO: versatile, melodic, percussive. I want another VCO beyond the D's in order to create paraphonic sequences that slowly appear and disappear.

1U Stuff: Umidi conversion to process data from the digitakt, buff multi, mixers, master headphone out, etc.