Thanks, greenfly - good to see you had success for your setup, and thanks for your insights.

Are you using yours as a second interface with your UAD? I'm just going ADAT into the MOTU 624 and I honestly don't remember setting ES8 clock to internal under those conditions, but just establishing MOTU as ADAT master, and assuming ES8 hears and obeys.

I have the 8A on order as I need the additional inputs straight out- but haven't yet committed to ES6 until I work with connecting the two interfaces together and getting that stable (it's never as seamless as they make it sound, of course). I might even see how much I can use 8A's outputs to communicate with modular and VCV, etc.. since like your UAD, the I/O in the MOTUs is DC coupled.

Sometimes you never know how things will work until you start connecting cable - everything is just theory until then!

Good advice…thanks, will do

Thanks for your reply!

In my current understanding, I think that's true when ES-6 is connected to ES-3, as ES-3 doesn't have ES-8's internal clock (accessed via the cable), so clock is sent via ADAT. My ES-8 is connected to the ADAT I/O of my MOTU 624, and thus gets its clock from the MOTU which would, (I think) extend to a connected ES-6. Once the clock requirement is met, it's just a question of whether ES-6's output could go to another unit's ADAT.

The complete picture is ES-8 ADAT I/O goes to MOTU 624, and speculating that ES-3 output could go to ADAT-in on a MOTU 8A, which is in-turn connected to the 624 via Ethernet.

Hello,

I’m considering purchasing an ES-6 to expand my existing ES-8 inputs. I get that the two need to be connected at their respective boards in order for the ES-6 to function. At that point, however, can each be routed to the ADAT inputs of separate audio interfaces, or to a different bank of ADAT ins on the same interface; or does ES-6 need to be routed through ES-8 ADAT inputs directly.

I’m pretty sure this arrangement will work but thought I would ask as the ES line can sometimes be elusive to a full understanding of how they work together

Thanks in advance!