I think there should be more options availbale, but the Doepfer A147 is a solid option. It's nothing super fancy, but reliable and with all the functionality you'd expect from a VCLFO...

Biggest question will be: What do you want to achieve with this rack? And to put in some popular quote from Muffwiggler: You can never have enough VCAs

For sure the statistics can't show the actual amount of modules in the wild, but i think they are a good hint of what is popular for sure. As for just counting the modules in most recent racks only, i'm not sure, as i personally tend to copy my actual rack some times to plan ahead for the future.

Just one small idea to get perhaps a bit better statistics: You could add another category to all the racks where you also mark them as "private" or not, so that you could mark them as "active" or something like that. With that, all the racks that are just copies of the real rack of a user won't count for the statistics any longer?

I also think this is quite fair. The free account offers enough for almost all situation and racks, i just like to plan little steps in the further development of my rack, so i copy them quite often ;)