This rack is insanely fun to use. Now with a RaspberryPi Running ORCA as main cockpit, controlling master clock and CV sequences. Also new lighting ;)

Thread: Only Pluck

2hp Pluck is the only sound source used in this patch.
CV:s from 2hp EG, 2hp TM and one LFO are mixed in Veils modulated with LFO:s and sent to 2hp Tune playing a harmonic minor scale sent to Pluck v/oct. And then some delay and reverb.

Thanks for watching :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

VCA - I quite fancy a https://www.modulargrid.net/e/worng-electronics-vertex to go with my Chainsaw, though I'm currently using the ST Modular SVCA though I find it all too easy to colour the sound with it and I get a better result using 2 channels of MI Veils.
I'm currently filtering with the Patching Panda Moonphase which is alright, I may get a DIY Stereo Ripples at some point or as others say the Dual Dagger maybe.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

WOW Lugia, thanks so much for taking the time here, AMAZING, and extremely helpful. Thanks for writing so much info on your reasoning. I'm going to look into these to get a handle on them more in depth. Thanks again for your time :)

Had a look, tore it apart, rebuilt it. Here we go...
ModularGrid Rack
LOTS of changes. For one thing, the original had a bad case of "sexy module syndrome" (ie: too many "feature" modules, and not hardly enough "helper" modules to use with those), so I did some major rebalancing of the module types. Also, it was possible to condense some functions down to ONE module, such as using the Hermod (yep...added a sequencer!) as a MIDI interface.

TOP: PWRchekr is the little sliver at left. Then instead of your complex VCO choice, I went with the OG...the Buchla 258, and since Tiptop'll have these for only $200 when they drop in a few weeks (presumably), why not TWO? Well, why not indeed...so there IS two, along with plenty of trickery to make them do lots of Buchla-ish mojo. After that is the first of two quad VCAs, which also sums things down to one or two outputs, depending on what you're up to. After that is a Modbap wavetable VCO with some lo-fi settings, and the ability to blow samples into a microSD card, plus some weird modulation schemes such as phase mod (best known from the Casio CZ-series), a suboscillator, and lots of other tricks. And it's smaller than the Shapeshifter. Then the Joranalogue Generate3 gives you a complex TZFM-able VCO. Then another quad VCA...same deal as before. But the thing after it isn't exactly a mixer; rather, it's an omsonic Panning expander, a fixed-level mixer with stereo panning to stereoize your voicing...mainly because after that point, the audio signal path is stereo out to the main mixer. And right on cue, the first of the three stereo VCFs...Dave Rossum's Linneaus, which is a killer stereo VCF with TZFM capabilities.

MIDDLE: A Doepfer Quadrature LFO is first here; this will be useful for when you want separate LFO outs from the same LFO, but with each out at a 90 degree phase rotation so that you can have multiple sweeping LFOs with different phase relationships (like with the quad VCAs, or quadraturing modulation for the Linnaeus's TZFM scheme). Then four more LFOs with the expander in the Batumi, and after that, Maths. This gets followed by a dual VCA (same topology as the Veils VCAs) and a Frap 321; these are for tampering with modulation behavior, combining mod signals, and so on. Next, Quadrax and the Qx, which lets you do some interesting chained behavior with the four EGs. All your other envelopes are in the Zadar, with its Nin expander. Then an alternate stereo filter, good for some strange timbral behavior (would pair nicely with Beads!) that's also from Dave Rossum and the E-Mu Morpheus. Then the SCLPL is down at the end, which makes it easier to drop into the mixer out as a global filter...and it's ALSO a good pairing with the Beads.

BOTTOM: Hermod...this functions as a MIDI interface AND an eight-channel sequencer, so...yeah, it's got a sequencer now with some serious power. Then "effects", which includes the Beads, plus an Alright Devices Chronoblob2 (stereo delay with an insert point in the feedback path, so it's all set for some serious timbral delay mayhem), and a Happy Nerding FX Aid XL for reverb, flange, etc etc. Then for a mixer, I specced a WMD Performance Mixer because you'll need ample inputs for your sources while, at the same time, having a good AUX send/return setup, a CUE bus, muting, and on and on. Yes, it's big, and it's expensive...but it's a mixer that you can grow into, instead of having to put one mixer in one cab, another in the next, and so forth. This makes it easier to plan expansions. Then down at the end, Happy Nerding again with their OUT module, with transformer balancing, 1/4" TRS outs plus a second headphone preamp (the other's on the WMD mixer, that's the one that can be switched into CUE mode to check various issues on the fly, such as tuning, setting VCF cutoffs, etc). But this also has a second parallel stereo input, so that if you wanted, you could fly in yet another stereo signal from a voice or an FX module.

You'll notice that in a number of cases in here, I made swaps that consolidated several functions. I also got rid of most of the HUGE modules in deference to getting more panel space for modules that were QUITE necessary (all of the VCAs I've added, for example). Other modules got "shrunk" (the Batumi is a good example: 4 LFOs with complex interaction capabilities jammed into a mere 13 hp), and a few just got tossed altogether (for example, the mult...on something this size, you're much better off using inline mults or stackcables). But overall, your primary functions are still intact and, in fact, rather enhanced now that you've got the right supporting modules. Plus the layout makes far more sense by grouping primary functions so that everything moves around the front panel in a pretty good "left-up, right-down" formation for patching clarity. And even with all of the changes, the new/different modules, all that...it still came out only $800 more than your incomplete original, but now the whole cab is full, with lots of possibilities there.

Another possibility: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-sclpl This thing is a very shrunk-down variation on the Serge Resonant EQ, fits in 4 hp, is full stereo, and it can morph between settings which gives things shot through it the ability to have seamless and wild timbral shifts.

As for sequencing, my suggestion would be to go with a Make Noise Rene/Tempi pair. Those two have some backplane connections that allow them to get into some more advanced functions. Plus, if you add a Brains (only 4 hp), you can also make the Pressure Points function as another sequencer...only four steps, sure, but if you need sequenced transpositions, it's perfect.

this user has left ModularGrid

I am using Shakmat Dual Dagger stereo filter with my Acid Rain Chainsaw and it works great. For sequencer, in that small case, I use Endorphin.es Ground Control which works great since I can build a sequence on one voice and play another voice on the keyboard in real time live situation. It lets me send both 1v/oct and gate triggers to Chainsaw and also has 8 triggers for percussion modules. I can create and save patterns for future recall and the new firmware has additional features.

I use Queen of Pentacles for percussion and they play well together. VCAs- I use 1u After Later Audio DVCA and Plum Audio 1u Apex for modulation. These work great in my small 4u palette case.

Speaking of guitars, think of how you are going to get to the right signal levels. If you use an external preamp anyway, a good line level IO should do.
-- AcdNrg

Not so much. See here: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/linelevel.shtml But the TL;DR there is that instrument-level signals require much more gain than incoming line-level signals. For one thing, they're typically -24 dB down from pro line-level. Also, the impedance on that input will need to be different from a typical line-level's input, and that can cause signal loss, or if the input preamp doesn't have the necessary gain, you'll wind up amplifying a lot of noise along with your desired signal. Also, with an external input, I think it's important to have something that not only amplifies, but which also has an envelope follower, such as the Doepfer A-119. Being able to modulate with the envelope follower is a big key to getting instruments such as guitars to be fully-functional controllers in addition to signal sources. The A-119 also has a comparator to extract gates from signal levels, and this comes in handy for firing off envelopes, LFO resets, etc.

a really useful type of module if you are a guitar player is an expression pedal interface...

doepfer and addac both do them (iirc they both do a variety - some can cope with on/off pedals too)

the addac one may or may not be diy, can't remember, but there is also the 7 dials cv express, which is DIY, if that interests you

being able to control at least some of the module whilst playing is quite useful...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Oooo...so it's an actual HN port? That's quite cool, would make Igor one of only a few manufacturers to tackle multiple formats with the same circuits. I'm used to seeing a lot of UNofficial ports and modded modules over on MU, so I figured it was something like that.

Hi, I'm new to modular and would love any comments on my rack setup here. Would be great to know the first 3-5 modules you would suggest to get going. Thanks in advance.

For a stereo filter that fits the low HP criteria, you may want to have a look at Shakmat’s Dual Dagger, it’s only 6HP and quite capable in the matters of stereo filtering goodness

--- Voltage control all the things ---

I may have to totally redesign my rack if these are ever available in the states. Closest thing to the Make Noise.

I'm not quite sure if I understand the scope of Data Bender but I'm guessing I probably need a separate sample module from Data Bender to do the actual record/sample and then that would play through Data Bender? or can Data Bender actually record a bit of audio and subsequently mangle it up?

Data Bender is a circuit bent digital audio buffer. It is inspired by the ways in which audio equipment can fail. The sounds of skipping CDs, software bugs, and defective tape machine playback are all accessible. The 96kHz, 24-bit audio buffer can hold over a minute of stereo audio, providing a sonic canvas capable of infinite surprises and discovery.

I'd like to find one
-- manuelcposadas

selling one, let me know...

Pretty sure this thing isn't 60 HP, but rather 59 HP.

I have one installed in an Arturia Rack brute which is has room for 88 HP. I have installed:
- The power supply (5PH)
- Erica Synths Black Dual EG/LFO (10HP)
- Erica Synths Black Double Bass (10HP)
- BEFACO OUT V3 (4 HP)

5 + 60 + 10 +10 + 4 = 89

-- leewaa

The RackBrute’s official specs are 88HP width, and their rails are 88HP wide, but the rack itself has 89HP of space.

-- megarat

Ah thanks for the info ! Well, I could have figured that out myself too but I guess I was too lazy to look closer, sorry about the confusion xD

I like Squid Salmple a lot for sampling and mangling plus it has 8 channels and filter options. Sample time is short but long enough for basic stuff and editing clips is easy. For more esoteric stuff, I use Morphagene. The ultimate Eurorack sampler is the Rossum Assimil8or but it’s a very expensive module.

Morphagene and Data Bender are getting most of my attention for this at the moment.

JB

I just bought a chainsaw. Planning to use it with the st modular fitzemdefore. should make for some interesting sequences. Im wondering about the envelope/vca/filter question myself. Watching this thread.

Speaking of guitars, think of how you are going to get to the right signal levels. If you use an external preamp anyway, a good line level IO should do. Personally, I´d look for something with XLR connectors for balanced signals. That way, studio use or longer cables in a live setup are taken care of. Vermona TAI or ACL Audio Interface come to mind.

For effects, it depends on what you want to achieve. There are modular versions of well established pedal effects like the Strymons. To get more on the crazy modular side of things, Noise Engineering have a very versatile platform with their versio series: You can swap the firmware and change the module into a delay, reverb, distortion etc. The frontplate is labeled according to whether you buy it as reverb, delay, etc. but there are overlays available as well (either for specific firmwares or neutral "1,2,3...").

For every "cool module hp" plan 1-2 hp of "helper modules" such as multiples, mixers (audio and cv), vcas, polarizers, attenuverters etc. I like the Happy Nerding ones for their great build quality and use of dual pots (inner and outer pot, so 2 in the space of one). Probably throw in one or two EQs to adjust signals in between modules.

Its kind of official. Meaning Igor from HN is offering it.
meaning... pcb is fully 5u sized for example.

Igor told me that at this point he is checking for knob supplies at the level needed before offering it more widely... but its coming from HN

I would suggest emailing Igor and asking him for details

actual picture of my module....
https://ibb.co/31nmsSp

created a modwiggler thread about it as well on the 5u section.

It's an "unofficial" port of the Eurorack version, apparently. There's quite a few of those in the MU format pages. I'd suggest checking the "usual suspects" in 5U DIY to see if someone's got this as a kit, although my bet is that that listing is of a "one shot" porting of the original circuit.

Is this actually going to happen in 5U or just a pipe dream?

Couple of suggestions...first up, you might have a look at Adventure Audio's Merge. This is a module specifically designed for working with guitar, etc signals. It's got a send/return path for external FX, plus a proper instrument preamp that feeds into an envelope follower. And that last bit there is how you can use the guitar's amplitude curves to control pretty much anything that you'd feed that signal to...filters, VCAs, all sorts of possibilities. Right now, this is what the Ears is for, but the Merge offers way more flexibility and modulation potential.

Second: you can tighten up the tile row by removing the buffered mult (you really don't need it, as you don't have enough pitch CV destinations to cause voltage sag) and then adding that regained space with the gaps, and maybe by removing the USB jack tile. That would give you 20 more hp in the tile row. And you could even strip out the headphone preamp tile by going with a performance mixer that has a headphone output. Plus, you can get these with some very useful functions, such as Toppobrillo's Stereomix2, which has CV over level (and these would serve as your final audio level VCAs), panning, and each strip's AUX level. It has a mono AUX send with a stereo return, which is perfect for "global" effects such as reverb, etc. Oh, and clickless mutes, plus a CUE function associated with them that'll let you audition a channel separately via the headphones, which can be invaluable if you have a tuning mishap live. That's a far better solution, IMHO!

+1 on dumping the mults. When you've got smaller builds like this, the better strategy is to use inline mult widgets or stackcables. And with the space, you can drop in another 4 hp per row. So, down in the bottom row, I'd recommend a Ladik J-120 comparator. This module will let you generate gates depending on the voltage level it's reading, so you can use that modulation-derived gate to fire off other processes in the patch, which is super-useful in generative patches. And up top, Konstant Labs has their Baxandall EQ module that'll be super-useful at the very end of the audio chain for "sweetening" the modular's output just before it goes to the output tile.

DO keep the second set of Veils, however. I can see one immediate use for it with the Doepfer Quad LFO, feeding an LFO to each VCA and then firing off the VCAs with some sawtooth wave LFOs or envelope generators. That way, you get level control over those LFOs which the Veils can then sum to give you some VERY complex modulation curves. And there's more than that, as well.

Otherwise, TOUCH NOTHING!!! Aside of the multiples issue, everything here is SPOT-ON. The module order is kinda in need of streamlining, but I wouldn't change any of the modules themselves. You did it right!

Very good choices! For sequencing in a small format, I love Erica Pico Seq in 3HP, with up to 16 steps. Also a 4 HP version of Turing Machine would be good for sequencing, and your Disting can perform that function. Plaits or Braids are excellent choices for VCO in a skiff, because they produce a huge variety of sounds. For such a skiff, I am very fond of the 8HP versions of these modules. Plaits and Rings are completely different--I use them both all the time. NanoRand v2 is only 4HP and is a terrific source of random voltage. A small texture synth such as an 8HP version of Clouds, or and effects module such as FX-AID or 2hp Verb would be nice.

Here is an updated current rig (with the sole exception of the Morgasmatron) -- constantly and quickly evolving. :)

ModularGrid Rack

Many thanks to all for your input and advice! Happy New Year!

@toodee - thanks for the additional Wasp info!

@M01C - I've been looking at the Doepfler stuff... good suggestions (is the MN FXDF retired?), though leaning to dual VCF for first filter.

@sacguy71 - I like Erica Synths stuff... the Polivoks looks good, but I think I am looking for a dual VCF unit as the first thing. Not sure this is the best idea, but it's what I'm leaning toward.

@gil909 - I bought the MIDI unit and have been using with my Akai Force (which has CV) and also Arturia MiniLab MkII and OP-1 (which don't). But I think educationally-speaking, I want to learn how to generate entirely within the modular rack itself. I can always fall back on those tools (and sell off whatever sequencers I end up not jelling with).

@Zeta_fxn - thanks for the feedback! I was up late a couple nights ago and ended up impulse-purchasing a Mordax Data. :) It arrived today and I can already see the utility. Being able to visualize signals as well as hear them (when I audible) is extremely helpful as I learn the basics.

You have made EXCELLENT choices. My feedback:
Voices: Qu-Bit Surface--I use this all the time, and like it much more than Rings, but I love Rings also. The 2HP Pluck is also incredible, but only does one model (Rings has 3 and Surface has 5)
Sequencing: Qu-Bit Bloom--my favorite sequencer--2 tracks of up to 32 steps each, with variations.
MI Stages--fantastic, love it!
Utilities: Maths*, Disting MK4--yes, and yes. I also highly recommend Ornament & Crime, which does different functions than Disting, especially if you use the Hemispheres Suite alternative firmware.
Mults--I would recommend one or two buffered mults in 2 HP--put in the middle of the two 3U rows. I configure my cases with two 1U buffered mult tiles at the extreme R and L of the 1U row, and than one 2HP buff mult in the middle of the bottom 3U row, so I'm never patching far away from one. Don't waste HP with passive mults.
Effects: Beads--YES, or a 8HP version of Clouds--I love them both.
Mixing: Quadratt--I use Quadratt for attenuation of audio or CV, and use Mixup to mix up to 4 tracks (2 mono, 2 stereo) to the 1/4" stereo outs that are built into the side or back of my cases. Thank you for reminding me that it can serve as a mixer!
In-Out: Intellijel Line In Out
--YES, or use Mixup or something like it.

Well done. Get just one Veils, and then see what you need as you patch. Enjoy!

You've made good choices! I agree with the advice to get a filter. My first was Three Sisters, and it is still the one I use the most, although I also have and recommend the Doepfer A-124 Wasp, Make Noise QPAS, Erica VCF1 and MMF by 2hp. Also, get yourself an LPG--for delicious organic VCF/VCA functions. I love both Optomix and LxD, but there must be many more out there.

Since you are interested in modular synth education, you will benefit greatly from an oscilloscope. You can buy a free-standing oscilloscope that won't suck up HP in your case, but it will clutter your work station. I really like the ZeroScope Oscilloscope which I use all the time, to study audio waves, envelopes, and other CV.

It is brilliant that you have included the Disting Mk-4, which is a Swiss Army Knife (or Leatherman). I use an 8 HP version of Ornament & Crime much more than my three Distings. They provide different functions. Consider getting an O&C with the Hemisphere Suite alternative firmware.

One last addition to your case would be a source of random voltage and S/H. Yes, PNW will put out random CV, but the workflow and responsiveness is not at all the same as with Ultra Random Analog, Richter Wogglebug, or NanoRand v2. I recommend all of those, and URA is my favorite by far.

Then, patch like crazy for six months, and keep notes on what functions you are missing (effects, delay, sequencing). I have the Arturia Keystep, and never use it. Have fun!

p.s. Get a 1U x 6 HP Chaos tile from Nonlinearcircuits. Your 1U module choices are also brilliant.

In the near future, I would get a Arturia keystep pro. Take the drums and note sequencing out of the rack to save space. I would replace steppy with some 1u drum modules.

Agreed on the mults. Veils x2 might be overkill, consider replacing one with a 3xMIA or similar. You might want a quantizer.

I was pretty sure you were not. There were no post operative blood trails in the post. LOL

Haha. I wonder how much a kidney goes for these days?
Just for the record, I'm not the seller.

I have one installed in an Arturia Rack brute which is has room for 88 HP. I have installed:
- The power supply (5PH)
- BEFACO OUT V3 (4 HP)

5 + 60 + 10 +10 + 4 = 89

-- leewaa

The RackBrute’s official specs are 88HP width, and their rails are 88HP wide, but the rack itself has 89HP of space.

- The power supply (5PH)
- BEFACO OUT V3 (4 HP)

5 + 60 + 10 +10 + 4 = 89

EDIT: As megarat pointed out, Arturia offically states the Rack Brute as being 88Hp, but in reality it has 89!

OK, farkas ... I just need to decide which leg to saw off. I don't have a first son.

Eric Synths Polivoks is a nice filter as well and pretty basic to use and has the ability to use as a low pass or band pass filter.

Morpheus is great. But I would not consider it for educational purposes. For educational purposes, besides a "normal" MMF, I would recommend a fixed filterbank.
-- M01C

Are there any specific ones you'd recommend?
-- canyllyr

That really depends on space and budget.

Really like the ADDAC601, but for now maybe overkill.

Smaller and cheaper: Verbos Noise&Filter or the MakeNoise Fxdf combined with a VCA (patch all the individual outs to the ins of the VCA and you can scan the different frequencies)

Pure for education, the Doepfer fixed filter could do the job.

Space and money no issue: Fumana!

I'm just here to state the obvious... Hope you don't mind :)
You might not need to take up 8hp with Passive mults unless you really don't want to use Stackables or 0hp floating mults, I have 1x 4hp 4x4x4 Manhattan Analogue passive mult and thats usually more than I need.

For a basic filter, the Doepfer Wasp is great filter than can self oscillate and get wild or be tamed down. Filters are loads of fun.
-- sacguy71

For completeness, I need to mention that this is actually not true of the Wasp filter as it is sold by Doepfer, self-oscillation is possible but not without modding the module or using other tricks past simply turning up the resonance...It's actually the only one in my rack that doesn't self-oscillate, but it sure can get wild and filters are sure to be fun as well :-)

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Morpheus is great. But I would not consider it for educational purposes. For educational purposes, besides a "normal" MMF, I would recommend a fixed filterbank.
-- M01C

Are there any specific ones you'd recommend?

One of the uMIDI listings was set up by Intellijel...who locked it.

Besides the Manufacturer approved stamp is a button Message the Manufacturer. They should receive the message.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Hi! Did you try it for modulation stereo output, like reverb or feedback?

Ah, great! Thanks Lugia for setting my GAS on fire ;)
Am hooked on DFAM and Subharmonicon for quite a while now.
But the Spectravox sounds just awesome! Totally blown away :D
Please, Moog!!!!

Smart comm and fine transaction with @titifoufou
Merci Tim.

Hi,

I have been in this world for over 1.5 years, and I feel like what excites me the most is the generative music, so I am preparing a rack - 104 hp 7u -, based on some modules I already have (marked with an *) plus some new modules to come.

alt text.

This is my idea (some modules can be in more than one category):

• Voices: Qu-Bit Surface*, Endorphines Furthrrr*, Rings (mainly for its input), Kickall* (for some synced - not generative BD);
  • Sequencing: Qu-Bit Bloom as main sequencer, Steppy* for triggers, and Digitalis* can also be used;
  • Modulation: MI Stages, Mimetic Digitalis*, Maths*, Deeper A-145-4*;
  • Utilities: Maths*, Disting MK4*, Veils x2 (or other Quad VCA of that size), Dual ADSR, Clock Divider, Sequential Switch, Steppy*, Noise Tools*, Several Mults;
  • Filtering: QPAS, Viol Ruina*;
  • Effects: Beads, Disting MK4*;
  • Mixing: Quadratt *;
  • In-Out: Intellijel Line In Out*.

Thoughts? I feel like I might lack some extra effects, specially when I use the Disting for other purposes, but any suggestion of type of modules or specific modules for this type of music is more than welcome.

Thank you all for your time and help!