Thanks JB. The microcassette is just running to the mixer where it gets some verb from the effect send (specular reverb v3). Sometimes I like to run it through monsoon though.

Le mixwitch permet de melanger a audiorate les deux ondes issues du zpo, la modulante du switch doit etre carrée, ça marche mieux.

The one thing I don't see is any sort of filter.
-- mog00

DFAM, Subharmonicon and Manis have built-in filters, so I think I can work with those before I have a more refined taste on what I want in a filter. And if I get the Bitbox, it has a built-in filter for the samples as well.

A few set-up notes:
Music style is experimental/ambient/generative and long evolving "Berlin school" style sequences. Main clock comes from external by Korg Electribe 2. Sequencing is done by Kilpatrick K4815 Pattern Generator, Marbles and O_C apps (Harrington 1200, Meta-Q, Sequins) and Electribe 2 (midi --> MI Yarns with 4x cv and gate/trigger). Sound sources are Studio Electronic Quadnic, Make Noise Telharmonic, Eowave Weather Drones 1.5, MI Plaits, MI Rings. Qu-bit Nebulae v1 and Music Thing Modular Radio Thing are the key modules for sample playing and manipulation (Nebulae). Effect processing by Make Noise Mimeophon, uBurst (Clouds clone), Typhoon (expanded Clouds/Monsoon on SuperParasites fw), MN Phonogene and Endorphines Milky Way. All signals are mixed in 2x Intellijel Mixup and go as stereo mix from Befaco OUT into Korg D3200 digital mixer (12 bus 16/32 channel with 128 onboard DSP effects and EQ for each channel) and multitrack recorder (32 tracks,@ 48 kHz/44.1 kHz, 16-bit or 16 tracks,@ 48 kHz/44.1 kHz, 24-bit).

Nice job...love the microcassette samples, what are you running that into on the right?

JB

Hi there fellow wigglers,

This is my live Rack right now... I wand to get a flexible fx routing and an "easy to use" transitioning option.

I also have:

Arcaico Raverb, Doepfer Audio divider, f(h) plaque barreer, afa coma reactor, worng LRMSMSLR, a jomox rackonizer, a second joranalogue switch 4, doepfer 182-2 switch, multiples, doepfer dual switch, doepfer ring mod, doepfer random/ noise,

considering: Strymon magneto (thoughts on this one are welcome - the idea was to use it as a "not in time loop thing") , Verbos cv processor, Verbos random sampling, Worng vector space

What would you do to have a nice and easy way to rout FX, making transitions and sound design for this LIVE rack?

Mix is going to Octatrack, thats used to make the transitions on the meta level (like drops, beat change, ...) - so the rack transition should act as a subtle or slow changes option...

All opinions and thoughts are appreciated! No need to only work within the leftover rack space...

Thanks for your help
Cheers

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1720865.jpg

The one thing I don't see is any sort of filter.

My tip for filling the remaining hp is to fill it with blank panels until you get to know the modules you have. As soon as you reach for a function that isn't available, that's the next module you should buy.
-- farkas

That is a good tip! I was just trying to see what the filled-to-the-brim case would look like. I plan to get Maths, Øchd and VCAs + attenuverters first and grow the synth from there as needs arise. I really enjoy the DFAM, so some modulation will allow me to get more out of it.

Der Mann Mit Der Maschine made waves this year on a recent synth exibit with his Motorized Fader for Eurorack. He is also responsible of the fantastic CV processor named DROID, a system made of 4 modules. It can do everything you'll need on a CV signal, the only border is our imagination, but well, we'll have to learn a few things before. Droid needs you to write a few easy lines of a specific code in order to actually do something, ut its done quite easily with the help of a comprehensive manual.
See Droid as a modular's modular.
I did a french review, it has caps.

Modulaire Maritime is known for his splendid euro cases and the few modules he has designed. We recently met and have a few breakfasts outside in the splendid city of Marseilles talking bout modular related stuff and especially the new Tarot, a "Pseudo Paraphonic Waveshaper". I finally got it from him directly and am very very happy with it.
It's a true animator for any waveform, but not only it shapes/folds/animates, it can do a lot from subtile to huge moves.
I did a video bout it (in french with captions) :

The BIA is wild. It can do all sorts of different percussion, bass, and lead sounds. It's got a modern digital/FM kind of flavor, so I have to work to get it to fit into the analog sounds I usually focus on. Definitely check out some demo videos.

Go back to the build and pull down the "screenshot" selection from the "views" menu and refresh that. That fixes that earlier rack problem. As for the "what goes here" issue, how about this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bastl-instruments-hendrikson-- This lets you add a stompbox or three to the build, meaning that you can add more complexity via reverb, delay, chorus, et al pedals. Move the Ciao! to the right end of the skiff, then put the Hendrickson before that.

This is always a useful move when doing skiff builds. 4 or 5 hp can equal MANY hp by shunting the signal off to external devices.

-- Lugia

Hmmm...I've never looked at stompboxes...any suggestions on where to start?

JB

The original Roland units had per-instrument outputs along with some trigger outs. The TR-8S doesn't offer these, instead going with a stem-like approach with three assignable output pairs. While this might seem convenient, the fact is that having the individual outputs offers MORE leeway in sound design, which both the RD-8 and 9 have. With that, it's possible to separately process each individual output if desired.
-- Lugia

I noticed that when looking at the RD-9 page that it has an out for each drum sound...I need to read up on the 'stem like' approach of the TR-8S...may be good enough for my amateur ass at this point ;)

JB

I have some decent 909 sounds in the Pique and FX Aid XL module, as well as the Blck_Noir, Crucible, and Basimilus Iteritas Alter. I don't really need the RD9. I can't say I'm unhappy with anything the RD8 offers at the price.
-- farkas

Ahh, I forgot that you can upload different stuff to FX Aid XL...need to explore that a little bit more. I've seen a lot of talk about BIA...is it something that produces more bass/kick type of sounds?

JB

Yeah, that vactrol feedback loop looks pretty cool.

Not a fan, either. To me, using a modular that has these "cartoon" panels seems like the rough equivalent of going onstage with a purple plastic trumpet sort of akin to one of these: https://www.amazon.com/pBone-pTrumpet-Plastic-Mouthpieces-PTRUMPET1W/dp/B00MPRVQPY/ref=sr_1_97?crid=6ENFOKPGPGV8&dchild=1&keywords=trumpet&qid=1634687952&sprefix=trumpet%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-97 to wail on the solo for Arban's "Carnival of Venice". Some might dig that, sure, but I think they look effin' silly. Silly illustrations on panels can also make them harder to navigate, too...NOT fun in low light situations.

Hi, tested it out shortly for the first time. Interesting concept.

Not sure if this would ever be considered a viable module, unless you're into pyrotechnics.

However, the other two available Wildfire modules are DAMN interesting! One's a DTMF-based unstable oscillator, and the other is a CV controlled vactrol feedback loop. I can see quite a bit of abuse potential there; those into the Schlappi or Moffenzeef stuff needs to check these other two Wildfire modules, as they seem like good harsh noise/industrial candidates.

My tip for filling the remaining hp is to fill it with blank panels until you get to know the modules you have. As soon as you reach for a function that isn't available, that's the next module you should buy.
-- farkas

+1 on that! Konstant Labs has a series of "telescoping" blanks that let you vary the area covered. That way, you won't need to buy a pile of smaller panels with fixed spacing. These come in 24 to 48, 12 to 24, and 6 to 12 hp sizes.

You could also make better use of the "my modules" feature. This allows you to set up an individualized list of modules to compare.

Save for one issue: outputs.

The original Roland units had per-instrument outputs along with some trigger outs. The TR-8S doesn't offer these, instead going with a stem-like approach with three assignable output pairs. While this might seem convenient, the fact is that having the individual outputs offers MORE leeway in sound design, which both the RD-8 and 9 have. With that, it's possible to separately process each individual output if desired.

Go back to the build and pull down the "screenshot" selection from the "views" menu and refresh that. That fixes that earlier rack problem. As for the "what goes here" issue, how about this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bastl-instruments-hendrikson-- This lets you add a stompbox or three to the build, meaning that you can add more complexity via reverb, delay, chorus, et al pedals. Move the Ciao! to the right end of the skiff, then put the Hendrickson before that.

This is always a useful move when doing skiff builds. 4 or 5 hp can equal MANY hp by shunting the signal off to external devices.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/pittsburgh-modular-flamingo

All these newer Pittsburgh Modular designs are so horrendous. Will they ever go back to that old-school sci-fi lab look, or has that ship permanently sailed? I love those modules ... it's getting hard to find them in decent condition though.

This new "goofy animals and plants" thing they seem to have going ... I mean, different strokes for different folks and all, but .. ugh. It's so polar opposite of the very cool aesthetic I've otherwise tended to associate with the company.

From the modulargrid listing, below. :D I lol'ed but at the same time have to admit I don't quite get it. Just a joke? Some kind of satirical statement? You can appear to actually order it.

"Conceptual Power Supply"

Commodity Fetishism shorts the +12, -12, and GND pins of your eurorack system's power supply together via an SPST switch. This in all likelyhood will destroy your power supply and, depending on a wide variety of factors, either at minimum damage most of your pre-existing modules or at the worst destroy them outright.

Wildfire Laboratories has no way of fully determining the result of you flipping the switch - we can, however, confirm that the switch used is rated up to 126 volts at 6 amps - far greater than any eurorack system can supply. We can thus say with confidence that the module will perform as intended and create the aforementioned connection.

Wildfire Laboratories bears absolutely no responsibility for the result of using this module. By purchasing this device you confirm that you have read this documentation and fully understand the results of using this device as intended.

https://wildfirelaboratories.com/fet.html

-- farkas

Excellent tip!

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Gumbo23,

Ha, ha, that's a brilliant idea to put the output from Polygogo through the Panharmonium! Nice idea and great execution of this patch.

Hmm... now I have to reconsider what I just mentioned in my previous post about getting the Assimil8or first, perhaps I should consider to get the Panharmonium first :-D

By the way, any chance that you have an Erica Synths - Black Octasource? If yes, what you could do is use those 8 LFO outputs to modulate the Panharmonium and perhaps a few outputs of that Octasource to the Polygogo too, might give interesting results too ;-)

Great demo, very convincing and thank you very much for that! Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Gumbo23,

Ha, ha, yeah a funny example of music you used there and indeed amazing what you can do with that module. Only pity regarding the price and if I am going to get a Rossum module, then I think I go for the Assimil8or first (even more expensive though). Do you have that one by any chance too? :-) If yes --> demo please!

Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Mowse,

Some very interesting sounds are generated here with this generative ambient patch, nice!

By the way, my headphones don't work any more after I pulled a bottle of beer over them... so instead of it would increase the quality of sound, I have now no longer any working headphones. Anyway, I enjoyed your generative ambient patch via my HiFi installation ;-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Edit: Update typos.

This is where I am at now with planning a Mantis-sized case:
ModularGrid Rack

I put the Bitbox there to mark Ronin1973's suggestion to start with sampler. Anything obvious that I have forgot or done wrong and any tips toward filling the remaining hp?

I actually have a separate private rack that I add planned modules to for this purpose. This has worked well for me.

Generally this request is posted as a feature to be added if possible, that would make it visually easier for users who manage their racks. This will be a great add to the grid IMO.

Thanks for the advice, Lugia. I'll try to come up with one crammed Mantis to see how things would look when starting out.

Having individual modules that play one voice of percussion tends to get expensive in terms of real estate (case HP) and cost ($$).
A sample playback module might be something worth having especially in the beginning.
-- Ronin1973

That's a good point and therefore I feel it might be best to start with continuing to use the Model:Cycles to generate most of the percussion. Later on I'm going to have more insight on what modules to buy to get the sounds I want and also what to look for in a sampler module.

Just picked up the Polygogo - it's a wonderful thing - especially when running it through the Panharmonium

I'm not going to tackle all aspects of your post. But I do want to talk about percussion. Having individual modules that play one voice of percussion tends to get expensive in terms of real estate (case HP) and cost ($$).

For example, if you construct a kit out of TipTop percussion modules, you will also need a sub-mixer to to coral them into. You will need as many trigger outputs as you have percussion modules as well... so the sequencer will have to be pretty beefy. 8 voices of percussion means 8 trigger outs.

A sample playback module might be something worth having especially in the beginning. Something like the 1010 Music BitBox mkII might be prudent in the beginning. Each voice can be triggered with a patched trigger OR you can use MIDI (on 3.5mm TRS cables). You can sample in your own sounds or fill the SD card up with whatever else you want.

It can also record loops if you send it a clock or MIDI clock.

With the RD8 and RD9, you are getting a much more limited set of internal sounds. I love the sound of an 808 and the RD8 sounds awesome, but I still need to process individual sounds externally. The TR8S has extremely reasonable approximations of all the classic Roland drum machines as well as sample playback capability.
I bought the RD8 mainly as a performance tool, to use the 3 trigger outs to interface with my modular. I have some decent 909 sounds in the Pique and FX Aid XL module, as well as the Blck_Noir, Crucible, and Basimilus Iteritas Alter. I don't really need the RD9. I can't say I'm unhappy with anything the RD8 offers at the price.

I found a Rackbrute 3U for a decent price and its now on the way...I have my build below and have 5HP left to fill in. Was considering Bastl Granpda (granular sampler), Kompas, or Tromso. However, I want to use this with my Minibrute 2 (not the 2S sequencer version) and so thinking maybe I need to consider mixer like Bastl ABC or Befaco. In the end I would like to use this with the Minibrute and/or Hydrasynth and/or my Rackbrute 6U (which has a Ladik A-520 preamp and Bastl Ciao!)

You may have to click on the image to see the rack with the extra 5HP (not sure why the image hasn't refreshed even though I have refreshed it on the build page multiple times.

ModularGrid Rack

JB

The more I think about it, the more I want one. Haha

You mentioned you have an RD-8...are you considering the RD-9? What advantages do you see with the TR-8S over the RD-9? Some things you're not happy with on the RD-8 that would push you away from the RD-9?

JB

Aside from your issue with the lack of ‘true’ Roland sound, how do you feel about it’s capabilities to integrate with a modular setup?

-- jb61264

Integration with modular seems good to me. You have multiple assignable trigger outs as well as individual outs per channel to externally process your drum sounds. I think the stock sounds are pretty darn good, but you will probably want to process them externally either way. I think you might be able to run your external synths through the TR8S's onboard effects too, but don't quote me on that. You also get an FM synth, sample playback capabilities, and a refined live performance tool with decades of Roland's experience designing X0X interfaces.
The more I think about it, the more I want one. Haha

A note about overseas purchases via USPS...

DON'T use the USPS for any overseas shipping. We're STILL currently experiencing the various problems caused by Trump's Postmaster General's dismantling of the USPS because...well, Fred Durst said it succinctly: "Break Stuff". But our "First Class" these days is more akin to making sure things arrive AT ALL.

Simply put: use UPS, FedEx, DHL, whatever you want, because the USPS will get things there whenever they damn well feel like it now. Not reliable with anything of significant value!
-- Lugia

I won't use it even in the US now...this order was from Control (in New York) to be delivered to central US.

JB

CV Tools isn't a bad way to work, really. Since it's an Ableton plug in an Ableton DAW, the integration should be very easy with the ES-9.

But as for that rack...yep, go bigger. The REAL thing you want here is FX processing with what would essentially be the entire modulation section of a proper build, and that's not going to fit this "beauty case". But make sure to use this build for, as plragde notes, FX that your DAW can't exactly do with the same level of control you'll get manually with a FX build. One other change I'd recommend would be a much beefier power supply, since your build lives or dies depending on whether you get a hefty enough P/S. Always overspec the supply due to inrush currents; if your +12v rail has 1500 mA on it, you want a 2000 mA capacity on that rail. Go at least 25% higher in amperage than you appear to require, as most any circuit has a degree of inrush on power-up. It only lasts a few milliseconds, but it IS enough to pop the supply and shut down the rig in that tiny sliver of time.
-- Lugia

Oh yeah thanks for the heads up. Hadn’t realized the margins in power is probably wise.

I'm not sure if using modular as an effects rack for Ableton Live is the most prudent use. There will always be that latency round-trip between your D-A, effects and then back through the A-D converters. That's not an issue in the studio as you can compensate for latency after-the-fact.

The majority of effects you'll find in Eurorack aren't dependent on sync. You might find yourself better off with a bunch of guitar pedals and an analog mixer when it comes to cost effectiveness, bang-for-buck, and so forth.
-- Ronin1973

My impression was that latency is not much of an issue with es-9 hybrid setups. Would you mind elaborating on potential problems?

I had a mixer/pedal fx setup prior to this but found I wanted more flexibility. I’m really exited about the creativity in sending signals wherever I want :)

What are your picks, anyone whose tried a few care to share their thoughts?

Easy of use and functionality are number one priority but feature wise I'd like it to support microtonal and have usb inputs.

The TR-8S was on my studio refit list for a hot minute...but it got dropped. I didn't like the sound; I thought it lacked the impact of the original Rolands.

Aside from your issue with the lack of ‘true’ Roland sound, how do you feel about it’s capabilities to integrate with a modular setup?

TBH, "you-know-who" probably puts out the better techno machines at this point

Any particular model you would reference?

JB

Thread: Change Log

Panel Versions

Added new section Panel Versions to the module detail pages. If there are different panel versions of a module available they will show up here and on click can be directly added to the current rack.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

@gumbo23 this is a pretty crazy journey, thanks for sharing, I might just have to get a Panharmonium one of these days...
-- troux

It's an absurdly compelling module - I'm still early on in my learning journey with it, but it's a ton of fun. You can get into some true haunting territory very easily, so you have to listen incredibly closely to everything that is happening. But for sure it's a keeper!

bump

Oh, I forgot to mention that my DFAM is in its own case already so dont be sorry! and my black sequencer is in a 42HP case. My "system" is a bit splitted, Im using a 9U case 104HP and not 12U

A generative ambient patch, quantized to a minor scale, played on Loquelic Iteritas. PNW is the keeper of time and pace. QPAS, Imitor Versio, Desmodus Versio, and WORNG Soundstage create the spaces between. Gentle waves of modulation radiated by øchd. EQ and Compression by SCLPL and MSCL.

Good headphones and a cold beer recommended.

https://studio.