I've taken a third of the cost out of this setup, and I think it's a bunch more flexible now. I have a feeling O'Tool will be back, so I've kept it in.

I'm strangely committed to a number of these components, but less so on others: I'm just not sure if I need the Gozinta but I wanted to bring in microphones and external line sources. I think the Disting will come in useful, and I wanted to make room for something by Meng Qi, just because.

Swapped out the Ecophon for the Springray, because I looove spring reverb and it's a smaller module. Erbe-Verb can cover the rest.

For some reason the graphic isn't refreshing, you can link to the main page here.

nice, this is looking a lot more complete. you may not actually need the erbe-verb since clouds has a built-in reverb (and there's an alternate firmware that adds reverb as a processing mode); i would suggest passing on that at first to see if you really need it. i'm also not totally sure how much use you'll get from the lightplane, especially since you're just starting out, and it also takes up a lot of rack space.

i really like the disting. it does pretty much everything, and that makes it a great leading indicator of what you need to buy next (for example, there was a time where i was just using it for quantization, so i bought a quantizer. right now i'm basically using the delay mode exclusively, so i'm going to buy a dedicated delay module next).

it looks like you still just have the one filter -- you will most likely find this to be extremely limiting.

the only things you took out that i would think about keeping are the utility modules (links, ssf tool-box) and the turing machine, which is just a really cool module.

the tri-ger also looks really cool, that's definitely gonna be a must-buy for me.

oh also it looks like you took my advice regarding having too many sequencers and removed a bunch of them -- which is good, but you removed all of the CV sequencers and you're left with all trigger sequencers. you're definitely going to want a CV sequencer of some sort.

Thanks again for the solid feedback. Modifications made.

Re: CV sequencer, I added 2 Pressure Points and Brains, which gives me an 8-step sequencer and takes the place of the Lightplane. This gives me the tactile control I wanted while also giving me a unique CV sequencer. Over time I can add up to 2 more Pressure Points and tune them as needed.

Re: Filters, I had a sense that two would be OK (Mutable Instruments Ripples, Pittsburgh Modular Filter II). However, now there are four (MI Ripples, Intellijel VCF, Stead State Fate Pole Zero, and Pittsburgh Modular FLTR, a smaller version of Filter II).

Re: Utilities, I added the Tool-Box and Links back.

Re: Erbe-Verb, dropped it for space based on Clouds capabilities. I hope it's good, as I do love me my reverb.

Re: Turing Machine, yeah, that'll be something I add down the road. Lordy knows there will be other stuff.

Added a CMOS Party to give me some logic bombs. Strikes me as a useful utility. Sacrificed the Gazinta.

The most recent iteration of this rack can be found here.

I can't keep poking this forever. I'm limiting to 104HP to suit a case I have my eye on; I may just get 12U and leave a bank open for "future expansion" rather than try to over optimize this one. I still don't know whether I need an "on button" on this thing, but as I don't see it on other racks, my guess is "no". Still learning about how much clock management i'm going to need (the 4ms products are pressing against my brain). Yes, I'm overly-fond of grayscale panels, and I know that O'Tools are hard to find.

If you get the RCD and/or SCM i would highly recommend getting their respective breakout modules. it promotes the jumpers on the back of the module to front panel toggle switches.

i'm not 100% sure what you mean by an "on button" but there are a variety of power solutions available, and whether you need rack space for power is completely dependent on which one you use. i use the 4ms row power which is a 4hp module that uses a laptop power supply. it can also be daisy chained if you have more than one of them.

Oh my how this has grown. I feel this is pretty balanced, but I'm still looking for ways to reduce gross redundancies. The biggest struggle for me has been in sequencers - Tiptop Z8000 or Circadian Rhythms? No to both in lieu of Rene and 2xPP + Brains, with Algorhythm and Binary for some counterpoint, all linked together by the A151. While you can never have too much VCA I think I'm OK. The 4xDisting covers a lot of wildcards. Dropped the Piston Honda vs the Braids as I don't think I need two wavetable oscs, and the others are sufficiently distinct to warrant inclusions. Good filter mix, some solid, flexible effects, and lots of love on the clock front from 4ms plus the Wave Boss. Still think the ADDAC Intelligent Quantizer will be a win.

I'll buy the big case (12U 144HP) and fill it in a smart way. Thanks again for your great advice.

holy crap. i hope you're not planning on buying all this at once! this definitely looks a lot more well-rounded imo.

I wish I could drop it all at once, but more likely I'll acquire the alt faceplates, build out some of the DIY stuff, build slowly and get experienced. I needed to see the whole shape of it first, though, as a way of building my understanding of what constitutes a balanced rig (albeit a big one). This way, as I grow, I can grow in a balanced way. At least..that's the plan.