Hello world,

I'm looking to purchase in the future a dedicated drum sequencer.
Currently have Beatstep Pro which is great but want to bring seq into the case which will be a dedicated drum rig.

Primary requirement are
To be able to play in a live sense as much as possible.
16 outputs
Prefer the 4x4 button layout (as assume easier to change on the fly compared to beatstep)

Currently zoning in on two options

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/robaux-swt16-
OR
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-drum-sequencer-with-black-keys

Ignoring space or cost factors does anyone have any experience that would recommend a specific choice on above (or alternatives with similar functionality)

Many thanks in advance for any input

I got the Robaux for monetary reasons and I'd say, hands down: Go for the Erica if HP and money is not the issure.
The Robaux rubberized buttons are just not very ... agile? you kinda have to press them hard - they're not trigger pads as e.g. on the ableton push. It works, but if you really want to jam live easily i'd def go for the Erica.

I got the Robaux for monetary reasons and I'd say, hands down: Go for the Erica if HP and money is not the issure.
The Robaux rubberized buttons are just not very ... agile? you kinda have to press them hard - they're not trigger pads as e.g. on the ableton push. It works, but if you really want to jam live easily i'd def go for the Erica.
-- s_heidenreich

Cool, thanks for that....
Yeah, I'd rather wait, save & make the right choice...

Had actually wondered if the clicky buttons on Erica would be more "playable"...
Thanks for the input

I'm also considering adding a drum sequencer, in- or outside the rack.
May I ask why you want to move the sequencer inside your rack? Is it purely the form factor?

On paper, the Beatstep Pro has somewhat the same functionality as the Erica Synths Drum sequencer (I believe difference being that Drum Sequencer has a few more tracks and accents while Beatstep Pro has two cv/velo/gate sequencer which you could also use for accents of course), while costing 1/4th of the price of the Erica Synths one. Also the workflow seems quite similar.
Just curious.

Besides a drum sequencer where you'd program your own sequences, I find the Mutable Instruments Grids (or any of its clones) usefull to have as interesting accents or some extra background voices. Also it's really easy to dial in snare fills and funky hihat patterns. Grids is also not too expensive so maybe it's nice to have besides a dedicated drum sequencer.

May I ask why you want to move the sequencer inside your rack? Is it purely the form factor?

Yes, I feel i'll prefer it in amongst the dedicated drum modules.. playability..erganomics..

On paper, the Beatstep Pro has somewhat the same functionality as the Erica Synths Drum sequencer (I believe difference being that Drum Sequencer has a few more tracks and accents while Beatstep Pro has two cv/velo/gate sequencer which you could also use for accents of course), while costing 1/4th of the price of the Erica Synths one. Also the workflow seems quite similar.
Just curious.

Beatstep is great, don't get me wrong, and great value... Plus you get 2 x sequencers built into it.
But, I have found that while I once thought 8 x outs would be more than enough, I've now used them all & want more; the others have 16.
I also feel the 4x4 grid vs the row of 16 pads will allow me to be quicker & better at programming on the fly..

Besides a drum sequencer where you'd program your own sequences, I find the Mutable Instruments Grids (or any of its clones) usefull to have as interesting accents or some extra background voices. Also it's really easy to dial in snare fills and funky hihat patterns. Grids is also not too expensive so maybe it's nice to have besides a dedicated drum sequencer.

Good shout, just looked at this & for future it could be a welcome next addition.
1 thing the SWT16 seems to have that the Erica doesn't is to be able to add fills on the fly..

Go for the upgraded SWT16+ if Robaux is your choice.
Not really sequencing, but take a look at the StolperBeats - it's different, loads of offgrid wonky beats options.
and always a shout out to BeatStepPro

You may have a look at the Flame Takt.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/flame-takt-