Thread: Subtly

[]

So the puroose if this isnt to be thee most rational or even functional system, but mire to just motivate me to create.

The hardest part of art for me is just getting the motivation and emotional energy to "do".

I have ADHD, so what ever tool or instrument i use has to be instantly gratifying to the eyes and it must be tactile and kinetic... ir else I din't get the dopamine hit

Hi, not sure if it has something to do with the new servers, but since this morning, I can edit my racks, they are all "locked" but I have no unlock button, making it impossible to edit or replace modules in my racks.

Thread: CSV file

ahh lovely - that'll work thanks so much @modulargrid

yeah seems so - hopefully @modulargrid can sort something
-- greenfly

no CSV, but Unicorn users can get XML and JSON formats by adding .xml or .json to their rack url.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

yeah seems so - hopefully @modulargrid can sort something

No worries then, was just giving you an option seeing as there doesn't look to be what you are asking for.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

no, I would like a nicely formatted csv file - like you would get from a sql query.

Hi all,
finally release 0.3.0 is available!
- Arpeggiator Track
- increase stochastic rest proability to 15 steps
- logic track fast input visulaization (press shift)
- fix clipboard copy track
- fix logic gate probability
- fix rotate steps (thx to glibersat)
- keep sequence names when copy and paste
- issue #100 - reorganize quick functions shortcuts
- issue #101 - reset cv in stop parameter
- integrate Malekko integration
https://github.com/mebitek/performer/releases/tag/0.3.0
from now on there will be no more major upgrades but just bufixes and workflow improvements. feel free to open issues on github both for bugs and for workflow ideas.
as always rate the project on github and feel free to donate to support the project:
https://mebitek.bandcamp.com/
https://liberapay.com/mebitek
thanks to all tester Jil, Guillaume Libersat, XQSTKRPS, P.M. Lenneskog

Electronic music/video producer and composer.
Dark Ambient Cinematic atmospheres from Sardinia.

Click the Data Sheet link below your rack, copy and paste the page into something.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Can I get a csv file of my racks - is there an export option?

Dear all,
I plugged an usb hub like this https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06X8Z86VP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to power arturia beatstep pro with the power supply of my doepfer A-100 diy psu. https://www.doepfer.de/a100_DIY_kits.htm#A-100%20DIY%20Kit1
With arturia keystep37 seems to work but with beatstep pro the other modules doesn't work well.
I connect +12V and -12V correctly to A100 psu
https://storage.googleapis.com/modulargrid.net/easymde/185440_d081e7eec60e97f210c019a899702f5e_1714581078.png
but probably the beatstep pro drain too much power. If I use tubbutec usb bridge A in my other rack with doepfer A100-psu3 it works, obviously with 2A instead of 1.2A, I have more resource.
I have 1A free for main rack with psu3
ModularGrid Rack
and for the other rack with psu diy I have only 0.4 A free
ModularGrid Rack
Do you have any suggestions? Is possible to use Klavis No Drain to recover extra +12V from unused 5V (but if I remember well it converts -12V to 5V so in this situation is useless)?
A voltage converter would be needed to use 5V instead of 12V (like tubbutec does) but A100-diy psu doesn't have 5v.
"Nothing created and nothing destroyed" I thermodynamics rule but maybe I'm missing something...
Thanks
FB

Does anybody know where I can find the BraidsIllustrated guide? I used to be able to google it. It is really cool whoever created it. There used to be a link on Youtube from DivKids review of Braids but that link is now underconstruction. It seems like it has been scrubbed from the internet. If that is even possible?

mostly for creating more complex, but related versions of modulation sources (& for attenuating them at the same time)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

As above!

I have the SSM which can also be used as a kind of patch memory too.

Thanks. those are some great suggestions. As is the one to just wait and see what appeals later.

It seems to be a good ground to me.
Just leave the slots empty or place blankpanels until you reach limits you can clear identify.

Maybe there is just no need to add something at the moment

Otherwize:

maybe a matrix mixer?
maybe some comparator stuff?
Noise sources even for modulation duties?

I like very handy things, like a 4ms signal mingler, Lapsus Os or Xaoc Samara II, but I guess you have this allready covered in your other modules.

Greetings

Chris

I am a software developer by day ;). The code is not the hard part ill get there. Where I struggle is the hardware side... I have an idea for a synth based on the the daisy. But lots of hardware learning before i can make that.

I do stuff and things and whatnot...

Ive heard of those, definitely a cool idea, but not sure how much I want to dive into coding. I enjoy building the electronics, not sure how I feel about writing code though. I hear c++ is especially hard as well.

I did pick up a patch. init() from electrosmith. i am having to learn c++ but... it's kind of cool if you are into software stuff. i will likely play with it more in the fall/winter time.

Hi all. Here's a link to my current rack.
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1587986.jpg?1714504765
I would use a link but it won't update properly so this image is most accurate.

What do you think I should fill those slots with? I've got the Es-8 and Es-3 bringing in LFOs, 1V/Oct, etc. but feel like I'm missing clear choices for utilities or sound shaping.

Thanks for any ideas.

Keep in touch, I know a few people in Lansing and Grand Rapids, (synth heads, Not really any DIYers) So im not against a short trip. I just find it hard to phrase a lot if questions in text.

Might have to get a little collective going. I know synthcube has diy builder meetups out in MA.

I am interested in what you find out. I am on the west side of the state.

A wave folder/wave shapers with other good stuff.
Straightforward build, but there are a lot of parts.

Sounds great, some interesting things that I didn’t dive into completely, but you’ll have fun with this.
I’ll admit, I like it more on lower notes that higher, but both are good.
Build

Great, and thanks for the photography!

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

I just wanted to give a call out. I want to find other people who DIY modules and build circuits around the detroit area.
Not only would it be cool to see who else is doing it in the area, I very much wanna pick brains and trade projects.

Im a decent to good DIYer, but am a complete Newbie to electronics. Im trying to make that jump though. I feel like the best way, would be to reach out to other such people, that maybe are a little ahead of me, and teach me in a more efficient fashion than the internet.

If you're here to design your racks, then go do it and quit crying you big baby lol

And I really couldnt care less what you think and I think that should be quite obvious. I have never sold a module here, i have bought a few.

Thread after thread of people asking what module they should buy. I'm here to design my racks. It's sad of course to see this platform sink to this level and I doubt that Dieter Döpfer would be impressed. But it's not my problem.

@Sweelinck - Thanks to your feedback I've built a rack without the Zadar. I do like the Pip Slope and the sliders on the Contour 1 to play around with. The C4RBN filter is a little cramped but manageable. Thanks again!

ModularGrid Rack

I have not personally been robbed, but if I was you can bet I would call the person out publicly in this thread. Again, if somebody has been ripped off, this is the place to warn others about it. That's why it's called "Bad traders on the marketplace". Not sure what you were expecting to find when you opened a thread with that title lol. The fact that you are so triggered by this concept that you feel the need to complain about it repeatedly makes me think you are a shitty seller yourself. Again, if you don't like hearing people's stories, quit crying and don't open the thread. I couldn't care less if you post here or not. People are posting about modular synthesis in all the other threads, feel free to engage in those threads instead of wasting everyone else's time in this one lol.

Both buyers and sellers are free to post here and we can all evaluate their statements for ourselves. If there's a particular post you take issue with, then by all means reply to it, but just saying stupid stuff like "If you get robbed, I really don't wanna hear your sob story" doesn't add anything to the dicussion, nor IMO does it lend credibility to your point of view lol.
-- adaris

Listen if you are robbed, let admin of modulargrid.net know about it, he may ask for more information or he may do something about it, he may also come to the conclusion that the accusation is not based in reality.

Yes it is a sob story since we are not able to confirm any of it. Theft should be taken up with the police while here we have some misunderstood players receiving their module just after writing this nonsense. Fine, if you want to take this platform in this direction of a witch hunt, do that. I have posted technical stuff here but I will not bother with posting it here if this is not a serious platform. That's just the reality of this. I like the grid and I need it and will use it. But this is a platform where guys could be posting things relevant to modular Synthesis, this is not it.

Both buyers and sellers are free to post here and we can all evaluate their statements for ourselves. If there's a particular post you take issue with, then by all means reply to it, but just saying stupid stuff like "If you get robbed, I really don't wanna hear your sob story" doesn't add anything to the dicussion, nor IMO does it lend credibility to your point of view lol.

Well consider this, why should I believe those accusations?

There is a burden of proof here. I am in no position to get a clear picture of a dispute here and neither is anyone else. People come in here with a hidden agenda, I don't even know if Im interacting with a person or a script. Hell I could be interacting with Uli Behringer or one of his trolls.

So this is my view on this. I do have a problem with people conducting their buisness this way and if I was a seller, I wouldnt sell to some of those participating in this thread. So mabey this is a good thing after all becourse we get a list here of buyers to avoid.

best regards

Literally the whole point of this thread is for people to post their bad experiences in order to warn others. If you don't want to hear that kind of thing, IDK maybe don't open the thread? Sounds like the one sobbing is you lol.

If you're adult enough to list something for sale online then you should be adult enough to ship it within a few days, and if there's a problem with that then barring extraordinary circumstances you should be able to communicate any issues to the buyer in a timely manner. If that's too much of a burden for you then you shouldn't be listing stuff for sale online to begin with.

That said I will reiterate to everyone reading this - stop using friends and family with PayPal for transactions with people you've never even met. IDK why this needs to be repeated over and over again but apparently it does.

Ever since this migration, my password only works on one device at a time. So if I logged in on my phone and then attempt to log in on my pc, it tells me my username/password is invalid and makes me reset the password. If I then try to log back in on my phone, I get the same error and have to reset the password again. Is anybody else running into this?

I just think there should be other ways to deal with those things. After reading those comments I would seriously consider not selling a module, knowing that in 2 weeks if the module is still on it's way, the buyer is gonna be losing his shit.

It just seems to me that most of those reporting practically a robbery here on this thread, come back soon after and the issue has been resolved.

Robbery does happen but it seems to me people are a litlebit to triggerhappy.

I usually buy stuff, almost never sell but I think people should consider showing some respect to the seller. If you get robbed, I really don't wanna hear your sob story, wellcome to adulthood, contact web admin and have him block the guy and track his info so you can consider your next move.

@GunnarWaage, are you referring to my post ?

-- Slim

I don't think I made reference to anyone in particular.

-- GunnarWaage

You did make a reference to something, so if it's not this one, which one? "This post" refers to a single post in a thread...

-- toodee

I think GunnarWaage was meaning this thread not this post

I have not had much time to jam lately... lots going on. This morning was nice and slow. Not really a go outside kind of day so... I decided to play around a bit and this is what i came up with.

My post is quite clear, good luck with your modular, stay happy 😊

-- Slim

-- GunnarWaage

You did make a reference to something, so if it's not this one, which one? "This post" refers to a single post in a thread...

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Hi, like to know your opinion. I'm still in the process of designing this.
The basic idea is to build a rack with 2 Eurorack Go's for Berlin school making music.

SEQUENCING
The first row is all about gate and CV handling, with some 'swiss knives' like O&C and Pamela's work out, the rest are mainly sequencers. Clock dividers and multipliers are handy to have the sequencer play at different speeds. There is an external Korg SQ-1 as well. That makes enough fully independent sequencers...

SOUND
I have the Erica Synths Edu range, that will certainly be part of the rack. That's the main part of the second row.
The idea is to have at least 4 built in sound sources: 4 OSC's: nRings, edu VCO, Plaits, Capt'n Big-O. There are 4 filters as well, 5 mixers, 8 VCA's, 7 EG's (I use slew limiters as AR EG's), 5 LFO's, and a Disting EX for whatever sound modulation I might be missing.
Capt'n Big-O plus the wavefolder and the vactrol LPG serve to add some West Coast synthesis capabilities.
The Ladik-M610 should serve as final 6 channel mixer, so I'm able to add 2 more external sound sources, like a Volca Drums and an external synth (strings). Reverb and delay is added externally. There is also an external phase shifter available, else I would have foreseen it in the rack.

POSITIONING
Every row has a dual buffered mult in the middle. Buffering is not always necessary, but I don't wont to think too much about the signals that need a mult.
A lot of my first modules were very densily made, which ultimately I do not really like, especially when they have little knobs.
So you might notice I put socket-only modules together or away from knobs and switches, and the 2HP modules with their tiny knobs are now at the left or right extremes of the cabinet for easy reachability.

Things in doubt
- 2 HP TM: superfluous ?
- Will only 1 S&H be sufficient? I'll need it for racheting on clock multipliers but perhaps Pamela's Workout can produce the same service with only that module (I don't have Pamela's Workout yet)
- Doepfer Clock Divider A-160-2: superfluous as well, if there would be already 4 other clock dividers
- There is still room left: what would you add?

Thread: Space Birds

This one uses a mix of AM and FM to create space sounds, and sometimes, with a bit of luck, bird tweets.

Video demonstration here:

Note the knob positions, marked by the white dots. Most of these can be played with to get quite a bit of range in the types of sounds, but I'd start around there first.

In this patch, it might be helpful to set it up in this order.

1. Patch output of the bottom oscillator into Input 1 of the VCA. Patch the output of the top oscillator into the CV of channel 1. Turn the main level of channel 1 to 50%, and turn the CV attenuator to 100%.
  2. Patch Output of VCA's channel 1 to the input of Channel 2. Patch the output of Maths right channel into the CV of Channel 2. Set main level of channel to to 0%, and the CV attenuator to ~50%.
  3. Patch Output of VCA channel 4 to Mimeophon, but turn the mix down for now, so you can focus on what's happening before it gets affected by the Mimeophon.
  4. Hit the cycle button of Maths and adjust rise an fall until it opens the vca ~2 times a second. The exact length doesn't matter at this point, just make it slow enough that you can hear a sound ringing out. Adjust the frequency of both oscillators to very high pitches. The top oscillator should be a bit higher than the lower one. Adjust the relationship of the two until you get metallic or bell sounds
  5. Patch the output of Maths' left channel into the FM input of the bottom oscillator. Maths knobs at about 45%. Put it in cycle mode. Adjust the FM knob on the oscillator, so that you hear just a little bit of wavering in the pitch, but not so much that it's overwhelming.
  6. Now, let's get a little variation in this by bringing the Rene to modulate the rate of the Maths, as well as changing the pitch. Take the EOC (end of cycle) output of the right channel of Maths. It's the bottom right output. Patch this into the X clock input of Rene. Use a stackable cable to patch that same cable to the Y clock input. The EOC outputs a gate signal every time the Maths channel finishes. So the faster our Maths channel, the faster the Rene will advance.
  7. Patch the X CV output to the 1v/octave input of the bottom oscillator.
  8. We're going to use the use the Y channel CV to modulate the rate of the Maths. Patch the Y CV output to Math channel 3 input (it's the 4th input from the left on the top). Patch the channel 3 output to the Fall input of the right channel of Maths. Adjust channel 3 attenuator and Rise and Fall to taste. You should be getting some variation in rythym. Use a 4-5 lenth sequence on Rene's Y channel, and adjust its CV knobs to see how it affects the rythm. Higher values should result in longer envelopes.
  9. Use a stackable cable to patch the X channel CV output to Maths channel 2 input (3rd input from left on top). Connect channel 2 output to the both intpu of Maths left channel (it's the middle one, 2nd input below the cycle button). Adjust the attenuator for channel to to the left to get some variation in the FM. Higher pitches should have a faster tremolo than lower pitches.
  10. Turn up the mix on the Mimeophon and explore

Play with:
- Oscillator frequency
- Maths rise and fall on both channels.
- CV of both X & Y channels of Rene
- Sequence length on Rene X & Y channels
- Attenuators for Maths channel 2 and 3
- Mimeophone settings

-- Slim

I knew when I saw this post that it would go totally sideways. It seems to me that some people are used to receiving what they bought in 48 hours. But people trading modules here on modulargrid.net are not buisness people with a set routine when it comes to sending modules around the world. Of course one always takes a chance buying a module like that and sometimes one waits an awful long time. But I have had very enjoyable experience buyig and trading, been lucky I guess. But I also think most people are good and trustworthy and that a module usually arrives in the end. Threats and defaming people is not the way.

Test ...
ModularGrid Rack

ok cool

Ahh so you dont copy a link to the image but to the actual rack.
Got it i think.

For wavetables I like the "4ms Spherical Wavetable Navigator". Adding a Joystick to this would be great.

it has 6 voices with chords implemented.

Do you have all the modules in the rack?
Which music genre do you focus?

own all these, and a few more
Genre is a tough one. I'm going to say whatever genre moderat is (IDM?). sometimes hip hop too.

With the other gear you seem to be very good set. Because of that:
If you not mainly in modular, maybe think about to only add some eurorack modules as utilities to compliment your grandmother and dfam. Just said, to save money.

i am not set on only modular, but am fascinated by the flexibility of it. I have some guitar pedals to throw in the mix, and over 600 VST/VSTi's. Which utilities (or types of) to complement the moogs?

do you need 2 maths?

No 😂 liked the black plate, then a few days later saw a silver-plated one for less than $170.

maybe less erica synths?

Yeah, I'm guilty of getting these early on liking the aesthetic. At the time, I think I was really trying to do a single function per module to force myself to learn. They're mostly fine, but am not as big of fan as the number of Erica modules would maybe indicate

what about noise sources, distortion / saturation?

Would love a good analog saturation. Noise has been on my mind, almost pulled the plug on an SSF rainbow multiple times, but wanted to research more first. the Apollo View Rabbit Hole has my attention for dirt duty

maybe some schlappi engineering stuff like interstellar radio, 100 grid or a Benjolin?

I like the Benjolin V2 for sound design. It has also a nice filter

a nebulae or morphagene for resampling, glitches and tape effects?

qu-bit Aurora combined with noise sources?

Befaco Noise Plethora = great noise source with analog filters.

-- VONDENFUNKEN

Thanks for all the recommendations, will be looking into these. There's something about Qu-bit modules that's caused me to avoid in the past (having the chord v2). Words are escaping me to describe it.

For wavetables I like the "4ms Spherical Wavetable Navigator". Adding a Joystick to this would be great.

it has 6 voices with chords implemented.

Do you have all the modules in the rack?
Which music genre do you focus?

own all these, and a few more
Genre is a tough one. I'm going to say whatever genre moderat is (IDM?). sometimes hip hop too.

With the other gear you seem to be very good set. Because of that:
If you not mainly in modular, maybe think about to only add some eurorack modules as utilities to compliment your grandmother and dfam. Just said, to save money.

i am not set on only modular, but am fascinated by the flexibility of it. I have some guitar pedals to throw in the mix, and over 600 VST/VSTi's. Which utilities to conplement the moogs?

do you need 2 maths?

No 😂 liked the black plate, then a few days later saw a silver-plated one for less than $170.

maybe less erica synths?

Yeah, I'm guilty of getting these early on liking the aesthetic. They're mostly fine, but am not a big fan, tbh

what about noise sources, distortion / saturation?

Would love a good analog saturation. Noise has been on my mind, almost pulled the plug on an SSF rainbow multiple times, but wanted to research more first

maybe some schlappi engineering stuff like interstellar radio, 100 grid or a Benjolin?

I like the Benjolin V2 for sound design. It has also a nice filter

a nebulae or morphagene for resampling, glitches and tape effects?

qu-bit Aurora combined with noise sources?

Befaco Noise Plethora = great noise source with analog filters.

-- VONDENFUNKEN

Thanks for all the recommendations, will be looking into these. There's something about Qu-bit modules that's caused me to avoid in the past (having the chord v2). Words are escaping me to describe it.