Thread: Free Jazz!

Thank you! For me, there is a timbre to both Ciat-Lonbarde and Lorre-Mill gear that I couldn't get out of my eurorack set-up. At this point I have a bare-bones euro system that I use primarily as a mixer and effects send. The only voices are a 2hp Bell and a Morphagene, everything else is either a utility or effect (characterizing things like MATHS and Batumi as utilities), with one basic sequencer, a Varigate 4+. I also find the CL/LM gear really conducive to what I do since it isn't really ambient/generative, and definitely isn't any type of EDM. It sucks that Peter moved to Berlin and new CL pieces are so expensive now. They weren't cheap to begin with, but it's kind of nuts now. I feel very fortunate I picked up my pieces when I did.

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

Digging this!

Thank you both! Beads is such a great module.

Here's a goof - Plumbutter and double Double Knots providing drums/percussion, the Plumbutter is running through Beads for simulated snare and kick drum improvisation. Then I overdubbed my Mother-32 through various effects, including the Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge and Malekko Charlie Foxtrot, and concluded with some upright bass. There is no art to this, just fun.

Thank you Garfield! Glad you enjoyed them. :)

As the title implies, more fun with my Ciat-Lonbarde and Lorre-Mill instruments, Mother-32, along with some Monsoon and Beads and various pedals.

Pretty sure these will end up on the next release, but with some tweaks and edits.

Thanks troux! Very kind of you!

Yeah, I love bananas! The bass tones and dial clicks are coming from a couple of Lorre-Mill Double Knots. The Coco is playing two different versions of the same Tetrax loop, and the Plumbutter is providing percussion and kind of cracked melody in the background, with Beads making it whispery.

Thank you, and no. That's me playing my Mother-32 through a few different effects - old EHX Small Clone, MidFi Electronics Scrape Flutter and Random Phase & Vibrato, CCP Bug Caster (a tube OD), Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water, and the reverb side of the EQD Avalanche Run.

Cool!

Here's Beads processing my Plumbutter, with Monsoon very lightly processing samples from Coco.

The other pieces I recently posted were all variations of this patch. This is the last one, going to pull it all out. Oh, and there's some Mother-32 as well.

Mine is on its way, soon to be processing banana gear.

I'm keeping my Monsoon, but have preordered Beads. It's going to be a blast with my banana gear.

Oh my.... and it's still stereo. Well... we'll be needing this then.

I can recommend Hugo Paris at Tiny Crush Mixing for the mixing part, and Nathan Moody at Obsidian for mastering.

http://tinycrushmixing.com/
https://obsidiansound.net/

They are both stellar, neither are cheap. Like, not even near cheap. However, they're both worth every penny.

If I do another all-the-way album, I may find someone local to me for mixing, but I will definitely go back to Nathan for mastering. If I had label backing I'd request Hugo again in a heart beat.

One of the things to keep in mind is what you need. Are you looking for MIXing, or mixing? If you're pretty happy with how things are sounding and just need to make sure levels, EQ, etc, are good to go for mastering, I don't think you'd want to go with someone like Hugo. If you want a deep dive though, he's the kind of mix engineer you want.

Nathan's my guy for mastering, period.

There are many, many, MANY others out there though.

And another, but this one is just the Double Knots and Plumbutter.

Here's another one with the same set-up, minus the fuzz, plus a Mother-32. Kinda drifts pitch-wise, but I like the cracked nature of it.

Thanks, troux!

Picked up another 2hp Tune module recently since it's an effective, cheap, and small quantizer, to pair with my 2hp TM. Ran it through the pedal boards, including the Cuvave fuzz pedal (thanks again Lugia!). It's playing over top of semi random bass and percussion from a pair of Lorre-Mill Double Knots and a Plumbutter.

I agree with senor-bling. In general, it is definitely sound advice, but if you have a hybrid set-up it may make sense to rack your Mother, DFAM, or Subharmonicon. For example, my desk is covered in Ciat-Lonbarde instruments, a Hyve, and an old Casio VL. There just isn't a whole lot of room for a Mother at this point. My eurorack modules are contained in three of the smallest Doepfer cases and a 4ms pod. I'm thinking about racking the modules in the Doepfer cases in one Doepfer 3U with the Mother, and keeping the 4ms pod as-is. Given the patch points, this makes most sense to me.

I just play, as in like what kids do. I liken it to finger painting, but with sound.

Thread: Pedal Love?

I shouldn't have watched the 60 Cycle Hum vid.

Perhaps I'll go with kyufefe....

Here's a goof with the Cuvave Fuzz on one of two Lorre-Mill Double Knots. They're accompanied by a Plumbutter v2 and a Morphagene playing some noise from a Soma Ether. Copious use of the Wires and Vinyl Strip plugins.

For in/out for effects use, I like the ALM S.B.G. I have two in my now minimal eurorack set-up. Gain control for send and return, plus some CV control. I'm finally exploring plug-ins (hello Hainbach's Wires), but I still prefer pedals. I'm a gear fetishist, so I'm drawn to shiny boxes and blinking lights.

I went ahead and picked up the Cuvave fuzz, can't go wrong for the money. How does one pronounce it, though? Covfefe? I think that's how I will. Thanks again for the heads up on these, Lugia! I'm digging the Box of Metal, the built-in gate is a really nice feature.

Oh yeah, pedal talk! I'm admittedly a bit of a cork sniffer, but I'm very curious about those pedals Lugia mentioned. Quality for cheap is excellent! Chase Bliss is awesome, no doubt, though I've sold every CB pedal I've owned. Haven't tried the Mood, though.

I'm a huge Fairfield Circuitry fan. Speaking of fuzz/distortion on beats, I have a used Zvex Box of Metal inbound that I'm dying to run one of my Double Knots through. Could be cool on the Plumbutter too.

As an aside, Lugia, I picked up a Moffenzeef Kricket. Thanks for the recommendation, it's fitting in nicely!

A fellow banana plug junky I chat with is picking up one of the Korgs. Way too rich for my blood, so I'm very interested in the Behringer too.

Or maybe that:
Instrument interface (befaco) through a little bandpass filter, through disting for pitch and cv tracking)...
-- deniSound

Yep, I've been looking at the Befaco: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/befaco-i4-instrument-interface.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhs79BRD0ARIsAC6XpaX8aH6USyFV91YKPED9YK0Jgcw6KY-kQRF2NM3-ochS9iHaDOKULAUaAijKEALw_wcB

Well, it's certainly an unfortunate situation. Wishing you both the best.

I have no dog in this fight, but this right here would seem to cook your goose:

Hi the package has arrived. Everything works. Thank you!
PS: Did you sell the Make Noise Erbe-Verb?"
@kaskonauta left a positive feedback on my account.

Thanks Garfield! Glad you enjoyed it!

I realize it's a little odd to post primarily non-eurorack pieces here, but I do use a small rack - Mutable Instruments Ears, Busy Circuits S.B.G., DivKid Øchd, Batumi, among others. Anyhow, here's another Ciat-Lonbarde piece made with the Plumbutter 2, Cocoquantus 2, and Tetrax. Copious use of my pedal board as well.

I'm a big fan of the Malekko Varigate 4+. It's one of the few modules I've held onto in my purge. The sliders aren't the best for performative use, but I don't do a lot of wiggling in my patches so that's not a concern for me. Might be worth your while to look into.

Thanks!

Yep, 1/8 to 1/4, straight from your VCAs to the inputs on your interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 gen 2 in my case). I don't use MIDI.

Agreed. Maths is probably the last module I'd ever sell, because it would be the first I'd buy again.

Here's another Cocoquantus noodle, this time with a loop of my bağlama, along with a little fretless bass, Tetrax, and Subharmonicon. Copious use of pedals - Meet Maude, a little Charlie Foxtrot, some Shallow Water, I think, and Avalanche Run. I might have used Randy's Revenge on the Tetrax.

My pleasure, always happy to spread the good word about NLC! Andrew is a gent!

Triple Sloths, Ian Fritz's Hypster (slow chaotic modulation, and fast chaotic modulation - up to audio rates) - both are must-haves, in my opinion. The 8-Bit Cipher is GREAT for off-kilter rhythms, I love pinging Sisters with it. Though I don't have one, I hear the Plague of Demons VCO is excellent. Those are where I'd start.

Thank you both! Yes, this was made with Ciat-Lonbarde instruments. They're banana-patchable stand-alone instruments rather than eurorack. I just picked up a Plumbutter and I'm looking forward to getting to know it too. I've actually sold most of my eurorack modules. I still have three of the small Doepfer cases that I use in conjunction with the C-L instruments, and a larger Pittsburgh rack where I keep the rest of what I haven't sold yet (can't seem to let go of my Nonlinear Circuits modules, those have their hooks in me).

I haven't been back to Nevşehir since I visited between high school and college almost thirty years ago. I loved Cappadocia, hell, I loved everywhere I went in Turkey. I want to go back, but I don't know when that will be possible, or advisable, at this point.

Two loops of a forty year old Hondo II POS acoustic guitar through the Cocoquantus 2, along with some Tetrax, and pedals. I'm really enjoying the cracked/anti-rhythms the Coco produces.

Of course! But to each their own - I'm just a real fan of one knob/button - one function. Batumi/Varigate are about as divey as I'll get, but that's my preference, and I know plenty of folks dig deeply complex modules. All good!

this is how I use them too - in between things

I see a lot of newb cases with them jammed in next to each other though

often I find the sam issue with 4 hp modules too - need space around them Disting is a good exaample of this
-- JimHowell1970

Disting also requires menu diving, which I'm really not a fan of. That said, they really pack a lot of functionality, so, as with nearly everything in life, it's about the trade-offs/pros/cons. I'm moving more and more into non-Buchla banana jack land, so that level of control is becoming less of a concern for me.

they were all the rage when they first came out - until people realised that they are a pain in the ass to use because they are too small and fiddly - I have 2 trims (and a couple of others TM and tune, that I don't really use any more - maybe in the future for a small portable rack - or as additional sequencing) - one each side of clouds and they are great for that - set and forget - but playability wise big knobs rule!! which means bigger modules (the same can also be said about the erica pico modules - they are kind of worse though as they are an odd size, which is annoying)

-- JimHowell1970

I don't really have any issues with them, but I do use 1hp spacers when I have multiple 2hp modules next to each other. However, they're mostly spread out between larger modules, so reaching the knobs isn't an issue for me. For example, I keep the Averts next to my Batumi and Ochd modules, the Trim is next to my banana/eurorack converter, etc. I also don't tend to knob-turn a lot once I have a patch going. When I do knob-twiddle, it's usually via Northcoast Modular Collective faders or an Acid Rain Navigator. I guess I prefer sliders?

Hi all,

Think about downsizing from my Mordax DATA. The Dave Jones O'Tool is very nice, but based on what I'm seeing on Reverb, it would basically be a trade-out and I'm looking to generate some cash as well.

I only use the DATA as an oscilloscope, which means it's a big module with a ton of functionality that I'm not using. The vpme Zeroscope looks much more appropriate for my needs. Anyone here using it? What do you think?

Pam's New Workout, plus 2hp VCA, Avert, and Trim. I never see 2hp mentioned much beyond their Pluck module, but for space saving I really like their utilities.

killer tip on the Shallow Water! Did not know of this. Thank you 🙏
-- bigham

You're welcome! Admission time - Fairfield Circuitry is hands down my favorite pedal maker. Their Randy's Revenge ring mod rivals the Moogerfooger, imho, and is regular pedal size, the Unpleasant Surprise is king of the fuzzes, and the new Long Life tilt EQ/filter looks phenomenal, and it's cv controllable. I cannot wait until my Long Life arrives.

nah - at least 1.5c, haha

the shallow water is a great alternative to the lofi junky!

for me, for the required genre - I'd want lots of layers of both delay and reverb - so the more the better!

-- JimHowell1970

Lol! And very true regarding the genre and layering up on delay and reverb, hadn't really taken that into consideration.

I also like shiny boxes and flashing lights. Effects pedals, Ciat-Lonbarde, and modular synths are perfectly suited to my aesthetic fetishes.

I'd forego the Lofi Junky altogether and go with a Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water (for my money it's pretty much the most musical effects pedal on the market). You can also combine delay and reverb in one pedal with the EQD Avalanche Run and save some room on your pedal board. For a small case, the suggestion of Pamela's New Workout is excellent. My $0.02, which is probably worth more like 1/2 a penny.

I enjoy most demo videos whether I end up buying anything or not. There is a proliferation of knobs-esque demos which I find kind of irritating, but right now what quibbles I may have with demo videos of any kind are what I would charitably term first world problems.