I’ve got it into modular rather late @64 yrs old and being honest it’s been mainly due to having more and more physical problems playing guitar so I got rid of some gear, bought a little Skulpt, then a Mother 32, got hooked, bought a Boog to go with it and then remembered my late little brothers huge Synthesisers.com modular rig, mostly built from kits, by the time he died it was damn near the size of Keith Emersons rig! Watched some YouTube vids and fell down the rabbit hole.
I thought ok I don’t really know what I’m doing so if I buy a rig I can see set up and running on YouTube then I’ll at least be on the right path. Yeah …famous last words..I know, so I bought a little ALM 6u 52hp Added Sono Abitus, a Rangoon, Monsoon, Vermona Melodicer & Pam’s new workout to start with, planning to add a nautilus delay & Morphagene later when funds allow. Ok so it works, it makes some rather satisfying and even occasionally tuneful noises but nothing like my chosen YouTubers little system pulls at what little hair I have left| I then got distracted and had an Oooh shiney moment when I saw a Brains module going cheap on Thomann along with a slim 4 channel mixer only to be slightly disappointed when it got here as I’d veered from my chosen path of a small ambient machine.
I’m persevering and have had lots of fun modulating with the Pam’s, and can’t wait to get my hands on the new one as the screen will be easier for me to see.
I’m not giving up though, I’m learning more each day from you guys on here and several YouTubers.

Thanks for the help and inspiration

Ian

Beat it with your finger… (touch screens only)

I use a pair of PreSonus Eros E5’s without issue fed via a Sono Abitus output module into my PreSonus Studio 20C interface with the speakers connected to its monitor outputs. for headphones I use Beyerdynamic ~D~~t900’s but you have to be careful of the output levels as bass resonance can rise suddenly to quite high levels.

The only advice I;’d give is don’t buy rear ported monitors, most people end up with their monitors near a rear wall which will boost your bass levels way beyond what you wasn’t and annoy the hell out of your neighbours, so go for front ports or a sealed box design.

After working through the different combinations of gear needed such as 8 Osc, 3 x 4-2 mixers, etc etc I watched on as my brain quietly imploded with a dull crump and decided the best thing to do was to go out and buy a Lyra 8.

I went for a powered ALM 6U 52hp case which gives me 104hp all told. It works fine for what I need but I was building a specific synth I’d seen Little Ambient Machine use on YouTube. My next case will be a 6U 84hp to hold my Boog and possibly a Tiara + a few small modules.
My late brother (Karlsoft) built and ran a large synthesizers.com modular for years so I picked up a few tips from him on power etc.
I guess my main difference is that I’m very limited in terms of space and movement as I’m severely disabled and bed-bound 24/7 so everything has to be within reach.

Currently running Melodicer into Rangoon into Monsoon with PNW Providing clocking duties for the melodicer.
I’ve been surprised how sweet this little ambient rig sounds even without the Nebulae v2 & Morphogene I plan adding when funds allow.
I’ll be trying adding some modulation from the PNW soon as well as running it through my Boss RV500 reverb/delay in the near future

Thread: Anyone else?

That worked a treat, thanks

Thanks Bleep, just waiting to here from support then I’ll give that a go.

Not long for an ALM 52hp 6U case and tonight after finally getting a few modules decided to set it up. All was working ok until I tried to screw down the top row of modules, they don’t fit! So I relocated them to the bottom row and they’re a perfect fit, back to the top row with 2 x new modules and it’s a no go again. It looks like the top row is 2mm undersize.
Obviously I’ll give the retailer a call in the morning but I just wondered if this is a common problem or if there’s an easy work around?