Thank you very much for the quick response

but you won't fit that in until you realise you need another case... (note I'm not telling you to get a another/bigger case)

This made me smile, but of course you are right.

otherwise reasonably balanced

I am glad to hear that, seems that my long studies on here are showing effect ;)
A matrix mixer seems very interesting, but do you think of mixing cv's or also audio ? Should i toss the Erica Synths Stereo Mixer out, too ? Than i could put in a Doepfer A-138m, or are there better (smaller) matrix mixers out there ?
I think with a matrix mixer i can toss out the A-183-1 Dual Attenuator, 4HP more space available, or keep it ?
The Happy Nerding FX Aid looks great, too. It can do multiple effects simultaneously, or not ? But it's hard to come by used, and new fairly expensive. I'll think it over.

Some basic remarks although I'm not the most 'expert' here.

For 'experimental drone/ambient-like/random/generative stuff' you will need many modulations. In a small case, DivKid Ochd (8 Lfos in 4HP) is worth considering.

The A-180-2 can easily be replaced by passive multiples like Black Market Monomults or Tiptop Stackables: you will save some space. You can even replace it by a buffered mult which is very recommended for a better distribution of the v/oct signals.

Concerning the empty 4HP, a recommendation often shared: the Disting mk4, the famous Swiss knife of the Eurorack.

To conclude, but you will need a little more place, listen carefully to the NE Demodus Versio. This is a tool that may be suitable for your musical orientation. A flexible and modern module with the possibility to change the firmware.

PS: a larger case... sorry :))

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

this user has left ModularGrid

And for me finding the sequencers that mesh well with me has been part of the fun and challenge. So far I’m liking the combo of the Eloquencer with Erica Synths Black Sequencer with a WMD Performance mixer, utilities and few drum modules with a couple voices for bass and melodic stabs.

It would be a real beast if at least one of the adders were not fixed to octaves but variable within an octave, even better, if both channels had a tiny extra knob for fine tuning 1V/oct
-- luchotron

Sort of like this? https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-quantus-pax-silver You'd have to have some DC offsets to use as your transposition voltages, but this not only handles those individual inputs and mults your primary CV input, there's a circuit that can transpose the entire module's CV complement.

I can only assume modulargrid is your outlet for being a condescending douche.

-- Precarious

Dude...calm down. Take your meds...or SOMEONE'S meds. Whatever works.

...and of course, there's Erica's MScale module. The problem is that the Moogs can and do use negative CVs for pitch. There's ways to get around that that don't involve an extra module, but they can also be a PITA.

Even with the Matriarch being used for modulation signals, you're going to come up short in terms of capabilities. Fact is, a far better way to judge if a build is going to work would be simple math: your "voicing" modules (VCO, VCF, etc) should only be about 1/3rd of the build, while the other 2/3rds-ish are your "supporting" modules. As for the...uh...whatever is going on with those 4ms Listens, allow me to hip you to THIS: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/emw-8-channel-stereo-mixer Yep...eight stereo-ins, takes up far less space. And there's a hint there...

If you rework things here so that you have more functional density in your modules...without compromising the ergonomics, natch...you'll find more space opening up, just as with this one module. And the price will come WAY down as well.

personally

I'd want more utilities - more mixing - specifically a matrix mixer - I think they're incredibly useful... especially for deriving more complex related modulation from the modulation you have... but you won't fit that in until you realise you need another case... (note I'm not telling you to get a another/bigger case)

it's also a bit cramped for me - too many micro modules...

otherwise reasonably balanced - kinks is excellent!!! as is 3*mia and a good call on a real rings imo...

if you'd gone for a real plaits - you could have taken out the pico dsp & rand, the mult, the headphone amp and put in a alm hpo, a matrix mixer and an fx aid... no loss of functionality, but added versatility - use stackcables or headphone splitters for mults etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi to all !
I like to get a few opinions from the experts here.
I mainly focusing on experimental drone/ambient-like/random/generative stuff, sometimes with fieldrecordings and different sample material. I really like what AnnAnnie does and the wierd experimental stuff from Gazonbalon.
My main engine in the rack clearly is Marbles, with multed out triggers to the A-160-2 clock divider which than spread over.
Peaks is mostly in drum mode and the Sample Drum is used for fieldrecording samples and pad/drone/melodic stuff.
I have an SQ-1 and an QuNexus on duty, too. I am surely only at the beginning and need to find my own way and workflow and have a lot to learn. But it is only a hobby for me and i wouldn't call me a musician, just an musically interested nerd ;)
I would really appreciate some suggestions and tips to my rack, especially redundant/overlapping modules, missing things and essential things to change. But please don't tell me to expand my rack ;)
ModularGrid Rack

It would be cool to sort or filter the 'My Modules' page based on which modules aren't in the current rack. Easier than hunting your list for modules that don't have the green number badge..

Hi all,
looking for 1 unit available in EU (France).
Thanks

White flag! May I just confirm that Limaflo Motomouth is genuinely an excellent Formant Filter, with numerous adjustment possibilities. (And that this Grendel, surely very talented, is not about to win its international beauty contest either :)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Hi fam'
I have tested and detailed the brand new Two Bits of Klavis, a treasure of logic and a lot more, in a very deep video. It's in french but I've done english cpations you can activate.
happy watching!

there are plenty of other modules that'll do those things though aren't there... choose the module that's right for you... positivity, y'know...
-- JimHowell1970

There is nothing wrong with voicing one's opinion regarding products and companies that one likes, that's how companies sometimes listen to customers' feedback and upgrade products... constructive discussions, y'know...

I could say the same to you...

let's shut the fuck up hey?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Replies "touche". Deep in thought for a few hours. Comes back and changes reply to more cliche garbage.

Dude, you clearly have nothing of value to say or real interest in this module. You are not part of a discussion. You are a bored troll. Grow up.

As usual, smart contact and fine transaction with @Slim
Merci !
-- Jihel

Thanks Sir,

Always easy trades and pleasant messages with @Jihel

Be well!

He must have found some new drugs. This one is another level of crazy ;-)
Don't get me wrong, I have 4 of his modules already.

Nice. Congrats!

With my long backordered Intellijel Dual ADSR's finally shipping after over a year, rack will be complete this weekend. Monster and Monster base. To be honest, the Behrimoog is mainly in there for the 440 ref.

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

EX plus α, amazing.

If you go to my user all user that me rated positive i had very smooth transaction and would like to do another transaction without any doubt.

Only this is a warning to alert other wigglers to this person.
User kooza, https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/view/155418 is a crook!

Thread: vpme.de Qex

Module depth:
33 mm without power cable
43 mm with attached power cable

A warning to be very careful with user [redacted in hope of possible resolution]

I bought a Rozendal CEM3340 osc from him about 1 month ago

1 month later no module, no replies to PM / email requests for tracking number,

I guess I am lucky I ‘only’ lost 85 euros on this guy, but nevertheless it is a lot of money to me. Of course after many successful and hassle-free transactions on here I was complacent and used F+F. My own fault obviously.

I don’t know if it’s the done thing to post his real name / email address here (because username can be changed) but I would be happy to do so.

I still have some hope that there’s some reasonable explanation. But module was still listed for sale yesterday when I emailed him. Today it is no longer listed. So I know he has logged on here in the last 24h and removed the listing, but still ignores my communications. Sad and disappointing.

• an update - user has now replied to me and it looks like it’s possible there’s a reasonable explanation. I will of course update this post when the problem is hopefully resolved.

-edit - I have removed the username for now as I’m hopeful for a resolution. Stay tuned…

edit2. It seems this foul thief was simply stringing me along for another 2 weeks. I’m pretty angry now. I realised this is not the place for this report - I have put the info in the bad trader thread… it would be really really useful if that thread was made a sticky. I’m still slightly in disbelief that someone would risk their shit for 85 euros but wow here we are. Maybe he thinks it’s a low enough value that someone would not care to pursue it.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/8228/page:2#lastpost

and everyone with any sense at all knows that you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time...

Thanks,
Can you talk me through ‘seeing your signature’ please :)

-- clivevass

it's the smaller text in the box at the bottom of the post, directly below this line

I can only assume modulargrid is your outlet for being a condescending douche. Anyone with business sense understands that loss of one customer is a signal of others less vocal. As far as the features, I am familiar with what it does. No magic here. Sounds nice but I didn't buy the previous version because of the lack of features. 3 CV inputs without attenuation when you have all that empty panel space. If you'd like to see a similar concept formant filter but with abundant features and good use of space check out Noise Lab Formantic.

I have the Modor formant filter which is a great stereo design and Limaflo Motomouth which is another nice one with a different approach. Both have dedicated, defined formants addressable with CV. Very useful.

link to rack, cos jpgs are shit

ModularGrid Rack

it looks like you could do with improving modulation and utilities - possibly the most interesting modules and in lots of ways much more important than sound sources or effects...

see my signature for a rough guide on how to get the most versatility from your rack for the least cash...

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks,
Can you talk me through ‘seeing your signature’ please :)

there are plenty of other modules that'll do those things though aren't there... choose the module that's right for you... positivity, y'know...

Hello Jim, Yes this rack is mostly sound sources and sound modifiers...I have been using the Matriarch envelopes to modulate. It also has attenuators and LFO...so what would you recommend for this rack? I was considering the ZADAR.

I'd probably want at least a decent function generator (I like maths - good learning material available - videos and the 'maths illustrated supplement' - good jumping off points) and a quad envelope generator...

zadar is a great envelope generator - extremely powerful, especially with the nin expander... you might also consider the poti expander for batumi...

I'd also strongly consider a matrix mixer to allow you to mix copies of modulation sources to derive more related (and even more complex) modulation sources...

modulation is one of the key advantages of modular over other synthesisers, make good use of it.... another is utilities - there are a wide variety to choose from, they are incredibly useful for expanding patching both control voltage and audio... see my signature for some hints...

I also have been patching all of my synths (Moog Mother 32 (3) and 2 Dfams and Subharmonicon) into a Mackie 16 channel mixer. I can record each synth separately or I can record a live performance. I use a Focusrite 18i20 and an Octopre for interfaces. I put in the 4ms Mixers in the rack for live playing. I guess that would be my "sub mix?"

do you take your Mackie for live performances?

by sub-mixer I really mean downstream of end of channel - combine different sound sources for filtering and processing, combine differently processed parts for further filtering/processing etc etc etc

BTW, I built custom racks for stacking my 5 Moog units before I got into expanding. I did not want to stack the Subharmonicon on the top so I put it in the 104 case. The Moogs sit next to this rack.

then it shouldn't be too difficult for you to either build an extension or a 6 tier rack then to house the semi rack, or to build a 6u rack to extend the case you have to find room for the support modules that imo your modular desperately needs

As far as sequencing, I use the Mother 32's and I also have a Keystep 37. Thank you for your time.
-- Mooger59

those and the bloom should cover everything - but don't the Moog semis use different scaling? ie not 1v/oct - if so I'd consider something that can convert the Moog sequencer output - iirc disting has an algorithm for this...

Thank you guys, for your feedback.

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

It would be a real beast if at least one of the adders were not fixed to octaves but variable within an octave, even better, if both channels had a tiny extra knob for fine tuning 1V/oct

Hello Jim, Yes this rack is mostly sound sources and sound modifiers...I have been using the Matriarch envelopes to modulate. It also has attenuators and LFO...so what would you recommend for this rack? I was considering the ZADAR. I also have been patching all of my synths (Moog Mother 32 (3) and 2 Dfams and Subharmonicon) into a Mackie 16 channel mixer. I can record each synth separately or I can record a live performance. I use a Focusrite 18i20 and an Octopre for interfaces. I put in the 4ms Mixers in the rack for live playing. I guess that would be my "sub mix?"
BTW, I built custom racks for stacking my 5 Moog units before I got into expanding. I did not want to stack the Subharmonicon on the top so I put it in the 104 case. The Moogs sit next to this rack.
As far as sequencing, I use the Mother 32's and I also have a Keystep 37. Thank you for your time.

this user has left ModularGrid

1. yes good plan - also take a look at the happy needing 3*MIA
  2. clouds is good...
  3. both stereo mixing and more vcas - grab a veils if you can... also seriously consider a matrix mixer - leverage your modulation into more interesting territories
  4. auto-panning (can be done easily with vcas, though), delays - use 2 different mono delays 1 for left 1 for right (the auto pan them with vcas), different reverbs used subtly on each side to give weird spatial presence

The biggest problem I have right now is, I think, lack of mixing or stereo field. I quickly run out of utility trying to mix right and left channels separately.

then address point 3 first

But I'm not sure what problem I'll have next.

that's half the fun discovery of issue and then work out how to solve the issue...

link to rack, cos jpgs are shit

ModularGrid Rack

it looks like you could do with improving modulation and utilities - possibly the most interesting modules and in lots of ways much more important than sound sources or effects...

see my signature for a rough guide on how to get the most versatility from your rack for the least cash...

I'm sure they're crying...

you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, or a module by it's panel - who know's it might be the best sounding formant filter ever... and you rejected it purely on looks... when it comes to music you should rely on your ears, not your eyes...

"those who are so obsessed with functional density that it borders on a form of self-hatred..."

Yeah, a 16hp panel with most of the space empty.

I don't have to try anything. I just won't buy. I have a formant fetish, own most others on the market, but will pass on this one. So there you go. One sale lost already.

Hi y'all,
Not been here for a while (slightly intimidated by the tech). I've had this setup for a while now, https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1989572.jpg. I get so far with modulation and effects, then I just hit a wall. It sort of sounds OK, but I always feel like I'm missing something. I've also use Ableton, a Korg Volca Modular and Volca drum, and a Shruthie. I think I need something to bring it all together. I've got an Expert Sleepers ES-6 on the way, so that's covered. 4 years ago I signed up for a Cirklon, so I know that could be the answer. But, just the eurorack as a standalone instrument, is it lacking anything? I like to compose LCD Soundsystem type of music. I realise this is a lot of waffle, but it's the nearest to articulation I can get. Please help? Are there any missing pieces? What would you add?

go on then, mate, you try it...

therefore plenty of modules that have weird layouts, look at the Tokyo tape Music Centre - quite a few of their modules are 14hp or so with a few jacks and knobs at the top ad the rest blank...

I really think the only people who wouldn't buy this module, specifically because of the layout, are those who are so obsessed with functional density that it borders on a form of self-hatred...

So I'm building this rig to do big stereo stuff, both ambient and more traditional:

Stereo Rig

And looking for opinions. Here's what I'm thinking about:

1. Adding an offset/inverter utility like a tiptop Miso. All my LFOs are unipolar.
  2. Adding a sound source to do ambient, with stereo reverb/delay... I hear Clouds is the go-to here?
  3. Something to do stereo mixing... or more VCAs and use those?
  4. Adding something weird to build up a stereo field. No idea here.

The biggest problem I have right now is, I think, lack of mixing or stereo field. I quickly run out of utility trying to mix right and left channels separately. But I'm not sure what problem I'll have next.

Any feedback very welcome!

Looks more like they LOVE shitty ergonomics. Or more accurately they love anti-ergonomics. If you are incapable to laying out a pcb to be functional and ergonomically efficient then don't bother. Pushing jacks and knobs to the edges is just really lazy planning.

But, hey, you do get a stupid graphic of a face in profile.

I guarantee this panel will cost them potential sales.

Note I read one online review of the HPO that said "that only about a quarter turn of the volume knob is needed to achieve ear-shattering volumes" which is why I'm hoping someone on this forum has real world experience with either of these 2 modules and can comment.

To my knowledge, the achievable volume in headphones depends on the relation between output impedance of the headphone amplifiers and input impedance of the headphones themselves. Low impedance headphones will allow for more current to flow and the volume to be louder, vice versa with high impedance headphones. Check the manual/specs of both the module and your headphone set (and ideally the headphones of the user who complained) and decide accordingly.

i have a HPO for sale that i dont need after getting a new mixer module

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

I’ve seen most youtube videos on the continium. While being a wonderfull genious piece of art, I’m find myself not being that much into the music I’m hearing. There’s most often a slight off pitch tuch wich I do not really fancy. I bet it’s really hard to play, maybe lika a violin ? Havent heard much ambient music with it though, most is almost classical type of music, where it’s played like a real instrument.

The Osmose on the other hand, sounds fantastic with the Eaganmatrix in the videos. To bad it got delayed by Covid.

I missed that CME mpe board. It would probably have fit my desk bestter as well 😅 what are you using the MPE with ? This MK88 key will be huuuge. But it did not cost a fortune, and if I can get it going, Im sure it will be great !

do you mean this...

ModularGrid Rack

seems really light on modulation and utilities... more envelopes ad routing options desperately needed!

mixing doesn't seem very well thought out - basically vcas and end of chain... no sub-mixing...

racking the Moog is an expensive way to house/power it - put it back in it's case!

how are you sequencing?

Isn’t the Bytom simply a switched OR combiner?
-- stripou

Sort of. Most times that you see a typical "diode OR", it's sort of limited in capability as far as inputs are concerned. The Bytom, however, contains three of these sorts of circuit, and you can combine them to create a 12 input OR. Which is a tad silly, but which I can guarantee can actually happen. But the nice thing about the combination switches is that you can switch in and out of incoming pulses with a little creative patching and the use of the link switches, so if you put an output for, say, a shift register on the top output and more typical clocking on the middle, you can cut the clocking for the shift register and have it "hang" while the other clocked modules keep on going.

About the closest thing along these lines that I can think of are several different multi-ORs which can switch between one of two busses. The Bytom's routings, however, offer some interesting potential routings that those can't, such as combining entire busses.

MPE capable keyboards? Yeah...I have and use a CME XKey25, which has the "typewriter key-like" keys. I found that it took a bit of getting used-to regarding the action (or lack thereof), but after a month or two, I got very used to it. The nice thing about the CMEs as opposed to the McMillan controllers is that the CMEs retain a typical black and white keyboard with spacing, etc that we tend to deal with when using most any other MIDI keyboard. The only flaw I've seen is that every once in a while, there'll be a VSTi that needs some prodding to recognize the XKey...but that's minor, fixable in seconds.

The nicest thing, though, is that it fits very nicely in front of my Ableton-labelled computer keyboard. Score one for ergonomics!

As for the Continuum...y'know, I've been tempted once or twice to ask Lippold why it's so spendy, but I haven't. And if I really wanted one of those, though, I could probably dip over to his place (a whopping 20 minute walk from here) and pick it up firsthand...but you'll note that I haven't done either. It's still too academic-composition-oriented for me to risk dropping several thou on an experiment in controllers.

This could've been solved by explaining that you needed the power supply specs. MG tends to show only the module current draws.

https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=GST40A

That's the spec sheet for the 40-watt brick Intellijel uses.

Hello, this is my 1st post...take a look at this setup. I also have next to it 3 mother 32's and 2 Dfams. I use a Matriarch as keyboard and more resource. I do ambient/progressive music. I humbly am interested in your comments/input. I still have two 104 hp cases above these 3 completed cases (not shown). So 208hp left. Thank you!

Isn’t the Bytom simply a switched OR combiner?