Thread: Worwell 22

Here's a link to a Youtube video of this rack in action:

source:

The additional gear featured in the video is:

Moogerfooger MuRF (discontinued, new version at http://www.moogmusic.com/products/moogerfoogers/mf-105m-midi-murf )
Nord Drum 2 (http://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-drum-2 )
Boss FS-5U Non-latching footswitch (http://www.bossus.com/products/fs-5u_5l/ )
Eventide H9 (https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/stompboxes/multi-effect-processor/h9 )
Roland SCOOPER (http://www.roland.com/products/scooper/ )

A brilliant bit of kit in 6U90HP. Very inspiring.

You know, subbing out the Pip Slope for an EON + the DPLPG would keep me at 17 powered modules, but add the capacity to get some noise into the system plus the cool vactrol goodness of the DPLPG... let me think about that. And thanks for your experience re: the mults. When I move up to my next (bigger) case I've got more mults in the picture.

Thank you!

While I think I've got logic handled with Cold Mac and Disting, you're right, I'm low on mults. I ran out of room (I can have a maximum of 17 current-drawing modules) so I don't have a buffered mult in this config, but I could easily see swapping out the Malekko MUTE 4 for the 3HP 4ms buffered mult module if it turns out that I can't live with stackables.

My goal is to blend audio/samples with synth voices, both by running the external audio/samples through various modules and by mixing audio/samples with other stuff. At least that's my plan.

All that said, I may pull the Radio Music and replace it with the Brain Seed that got pulled out to make room for the ALM Pip Slope, as I was painfully short on envelopes. I also dropped the URA to make room for the Spectrum in my most recent edit, which I'm not entirely settled on.

This is not easy.

Hi all, I've acquired half of the modules in this rack (Batumi+Poti, Mangrove, Three Sisters, Cold Mac, Disting, Tangle Quartet and Clouds (on order)) and I think I've got the rest pretty well balanced for my goals. Am I making any Hideous Errors in your opinion?

ModularGrid Rack

Don't let me talk you out of anything - the only reason I backed off of a full Maths was I wanted room for a few other things in the limited (126HP) space that I've got, so I opted for a Function plus the WMD/SSF SPO as an attenuator/attenuverter. There's a lot of folks who swear by Maths, and for good reasons. And for what it's worth, I really wanted Clouds as I love the sound of what you can do with it so I bought it. It hasn't arrived yet...

I'm also in the process of building my first rack - and I can say that I've made a number of the same choices that you have (Disting, Clouds, Tangle Quartet).

From my travels on the various forums, I've learned to ask "What sort of music do you want to make" as a way to qualify any recommendations. Another question is "how many modules can your bus boards support". For example, I had a max of 17 modules that draw current on mine ModularGrid Rack

The things that jump out at me are:

1. There are smaller envelope generators around that you could look at, such as Pip Slope, which would free up some space. You are getting a really good envelope generator with Maths - it's possible this module isn't really necessary, but you have it hear for a reason, so maybe it is.

2. Clouds could be considered to have an echo function ( see http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/clouds/manual ); that said, the Synthrotek Echo is terrific. There's been some cool work combining it with a Ginko Grains oscillator you might want to look for. It's a neat pairing. My Clouds is on pre-order right now, if you want one, act soon. They sell out quickly.

3. I can't help but think that Braids and Warps is a little overkill at this point. I got advice to include the Intellijel Dixie II as a compact, characterful VCO/LFO. That said I've got my eye on both of them.

4. One area where everyone designing their first racks runs into trouble (and I"m no different) is leaving out utility modules, like Mannequin's Cold Mac or WMD/SSF Tool Box. I went with Cold Mac, but I'm also looking at Tool Box for my second set of modules.

You'll get a lot of feedback but at the end of the day this instrument is about what you want to do, so take everything with a grain of salt. If a module doesn't work out, the advice I've gotten is to put it down for a while then come back to it, as sometimes these technologies reveal themselves over time.

I wish I could drop it all at once, but more likely I'll acquire the alt faceplates, build out some of the DIY stuff, build slowly and get experienced. I needed to see the whole shape of it first, though, as a way of building my understanding of what constitutes a balanced rig (albeit a big one). This way, as I grow, I can grow in a balanced way. At least..that's the plan.

Oh my how this has grown. I feel this is pretty balanced, but I'm still looking for ways to reduce gross redundancies. The biggest struggle for me has been in sequencers - Tiptop Z8000 or Circadian Rhythms? No to both in lieu of Rene and 2xPP + Brains, with Algorhythm and Binary for some counterpoint, all linked together by the A151. While you can never have too much VCA I think I'm OK. The 4xDisting covers a lot of wildcards. Dropped the Piston Honda vs the Braids as I don't think I need two wavetable oscs, and the others are sufficiently distinct to warrant inclusions. Good filter mix, some solid, flexible effects, and lots of love on the clock front from 4ms plus the Wave Boss. Still think the ADDAC Intelligent Quantizer will be a win.

I'll buy the big case (12U 144HP) and fill it in a smart way. Thanks again for your great advice.

Perhaps not so much lack of ambition as "the first half of the spend". Trying to create a balanced rack in 6U with enough variety and power (and VCA, since you can't ever have enough VCA) is challenging.

I've struggled over the Turing vs Tiptop sequencer question and for the first cut I opted for fun. Still want a Pressuree Point to modulate on the fly. Plenty of random. Plenty of clock. Should be ok.

I can't keep poking this forever. I'm limiting to 104HP to suit a case I have my eye on; I may just get 12U and leave a bank open for "future expansion" rather than try to over optimize this one. I still don't know whether I need an "on button" on this thing, but as I don't see it on other racks, my guess is "no". Still learning about how much clock management i'm going to need (the 4ms products are pressing against my brain). Yes, I'm overly-fond of grayscale panels, and I know that O'Tools are hard to find.

The most recent iteration of this rack can be found here.

Thanks again for the solid feedback. Modifications made.

Re: CV sequencer, I added 2 Pressure Points and Brains, which gives me an 8-step sequencer and takes the place of the Lightplane. This gives me the tactile control I wanted while also giving me a unique CV sequencer. Over time I can add up to 2 more Pressure Points and tune them as needed.

Re: Filters, I had a sense that two would be OK (Mutable Instruments Ripples, Pittsburgh Modular Filter II). However, now there are four (MI Ripples, Intellijel VCF, Stead State Fate Pole Zero, and Pittsburgh Modular FLTR, a smaller version of Filter II).

Re: Utilities, I added the Tool-Box and Links back.

Re: Erbe-Verb, dropped it for space based on Clouds capabilities. I hope it's good, as I do love me my reverb.

Re: Turing Machine, yeah, that'll be something I add down the road. Lordy knows there will be other stuff.

Added a CMOS Party to give me some logic bombs. Strikes me as a useful utility. Sacrificed the Gazinta.

For some reason the graphic isn't refreshing, you can link to the main page here.

I've taken a third of the cost out of this setup, and I think it's a bunch more flexible now. I have a feeling O'Tool will be back, so I've kept it in.

I'm strangely committed to a number of these components, but less so on others: I'm just not sure if I need the Gozinta but I wanted to bring in microphones and external line sources. I think the Disting will come in useful, and I wanted to make room for something by Meng Qi, just because.

Swapped out the Ecophon for the Springray, because I looove spring reverb and it's a smaller module. Erbe-Verb can cover the rest.

Hi igowen - thanks for this. I will spin up another take on this and repost. My biggest concern is making sure a) I'm covering the basics and b) I have enough creative tools that do interesting things so that the basics don't end up being too...basic.

Hey there.

Thanks for taking a look at my plan for Bob Swami's Ambient Rack. ModularGrid Rack.

As I am still new to eurorack modular synthesis, I'm pretty sure I've missed some essentials. Like an on button, for instance. And I may have duplicated things, like mixers. Who knows what else I've screwed up.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm hoping this setup gives me the tools to bring in interesting sounds, do interesting things to them, and play them over and over until I finally figure out how to relax. Cheers.

Best,

bob swami