Hi everyone, I've planned out a larger 6u 84hp case, but it will take a while to complete as I'll be making the case myself, and it's obviously going to be expensive. In the meantime I'm planning to construct a smaller 3u 60hp case out of some plywood which will be less time consuming and will serve as a good introduction for me. Lettting me familiarize myself with a few modules before I end up with an overwhelming amount I'm not practiced with. I am wanting very textured sample based sounds, this is what I've planned so far, looking for any advice. The AI001 multiple and sloth chaos are unchangeable (unless you know of a more useful 4hp DIY I can replace the chaos with, or I can get my hands on a Radio Music). Anything else is fair game and I'm very open to criticism.

ModularGrid Rack

it might be a good idea to

1 post your 6u rack
2 state what type of music you are intending to make
3 what the purpose of the rack is - ie what you hope to achieve with it
4 how you are going to integrate it into other gear you might have: how you'll play it - sequencer, keyboard, DAW; how you'll listen to it - external mixer, audio interface; what other gear you have to use with or alongside the rack

the answers to all these will help us help you!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

1 post your 6u rack
2 state what type of music you are intending to make
3 what the purpose of the rack is - ie what you hope to achieve with it
4 how you are going to integrate it into other gear you might have: how you'll play it - sequencer, keyboard, DAW; how you'll listen to it - external mixer, audio interface; what other gear you have to use with or alongside the rack

the answers to all these will help us help you!

-- JimHowell1970
Yeah this definitely makes sense my bad, I'll do that now! I'll listen with an interface I have and play it with a keyboard or DAW. I want to make fast paced, textured, sound collage type music. I love lilien rosarians work thats the most obvious comparison I can think of. I don't really intend to make music to release its more self expression and experimenting that I want to do. Hopefully thats not too confusing and is enough info. This is the 6u
ModularGrid Rack

Yeah this definitely makes sense my bad, I'll do that now!

Thank you!

I'll listen with an interface I have and play it with a keyboard or DAW.

Then you'll want a midi->cv module - no space in the rack so you might want to look at cv.ocd - the unit that the mutany brain is based on - you may want this from day 1 if you are intending to use the disting as an oscillator...

you'll also need some vcas - do yourself a favour & get a quad cacading one - unless you only want drones (which the following paragraph seems to rule out) - vcas are massively important for both audio and cv - if you don't know what they do then I'd do some research...

I'd go for a 6u/104hp case ... you will need more support modules to get the most out of the rest of your modules... and you probably won't work those modules out until you've spent time patching...

I'd want at least a couple more vcos - 1 to FM the instruo vco and one as a second sound source...

I'd hold back on the sapel (pams can do random & is probably enough in this size case) and the stochastic inspiration generator (again pams can do similar) - also both these modules are quite big for what they are in this size case

nb the chord organ is possibly only available used - the teensy 3.2 it's based on has been end of lifed

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I'd go for a 6u/104hp case ... you will need more support modules to get the most out of the rest of your modules...
I'd want at least a couple more vcos - 1 to FM the instruo vco and one as a second sound source...

I'd hold back on the sapel (pams can do random & is probably enough in this size case) and the stochastic inspiration generator (again pams can do similar) - also both these modules are quite big for what they are in this size case

nb the chord organ is possibly only available used - the teensy 3.2 it's based on has been end of lifed

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks so much this is great, ill see what i can work out for the vcas on the 60hp. Id love to expand some more and have 124hp rails, the issue is im DIYing the case inside an older suitcase, and it mihht be hard to find one that could fit 104 hp. Your sapel comment kind of sealed the deal for me, id been debating its inclusion for a while. While I do really like SIG I see what you're saying, I'll see what I come up with without those two, definitely agree with the vco comment. Thanks again!

Older post, but I've tweaked a lot and I think it's now in a good place, just wondering if there's anything glaringly obvious, and I had a question. Just clarifying again, I want textured very glitchy music, and I realize fully accomplishing what I'm thinking with a rack this size won't be possible but I think with some other hardware I can probably get close.

I just discovered the Qu-Bit Data Bender which is something else I think would be great for what I'm trying, and I'm wondering if since the Morphagene is really the only sound source, is having the Mojave somewhat redundant? I really like the module and I know I'll end up with it at some point, I'm just not sure I'd see huge benefits from it with the limited size, in the meantime would Data Bender be a better option?

It would be more of a hassle, but I also have a 124hp rail I can probably cut down to 84 or so hp, and construct a case for that and fit them both. Kind of a disorganized post, sorry, but any advice would be great.
Edit:(Might just take a second to update, but for me the link preview is showing an older version of the rack, as a heads up)

ModularGrid Rack

Morphagene and Mojave are too much in just 60hp

Check out 2hp Slice or Freez for glitches

OCHD is a great module, but Pam's makes it somewhat redundant in the limited space

If I were to design a starter system it would be (in order of priority): Keystep or Beatstep + Plaits + Audio I/O (if you don't already have a mixer) + Pam's + FX Aid + Maths + VCA