https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2409780.jpg

EDIT:don't get why the screenshot is a bit funked, so ye i have the beads in instead of the dual dagger

hello everyone,

this is my very first rough plan at making my first eurorack and i would like to ask for opinions and help on the design aspect and module reccomendation.

the goal

i would like to explore the sound possibilities erorack has to offer, so the main goal for this is synth sound modulation. i also love entropy and randomness as well, so i'd like the synth to be able to "run" and create sequences of its own. the sort of sound i would like to achieve is soft and mellow, i love lo-fi music, and soft ambient. my favourite piano is the rhodes mkII just to give you an idea but i would like the rack to be able to produce both bass and lead sound and all in between.

the gear

i do possess other gear as well that i intend to play with alongside this instrument. i do own:

• M8 ( with which i plan to program the drums )
  • OP-1 ( plan to jam on top with it and further drums )
  • Norns shiled ( probably add depth to the whole song )
  • Field Kit ( plan to use as a mixer with everything plugged together )

As you can see i do own some external gear i want to use in conjuction, so i'd really like to focus on the synth sound and random sequencing ( at least initially ). i also own a MIDI Native Instruments M32 it would be awesome to be able to control the rack with it too.

the rough plan

As you can see from the link to my rack rack_V02 i've chose a case which is just 3U. i think i will end up buying a 6U, most likely the ALM Busy Circuits 84 HP 6U ( i would love to know some feedback if anyone has a case from ALM already ). the reason i just set up the 3U in rack_V02 is that i plan to buy some things initially and probably expand further with time, as of now i won't be able to expand further the single row, so i just wanted to focus there. that is to say, the 6U is really the space constrain i am working with.
the goal would be to buy 1 module a month ( roughly ) and so buy first the modules that will allow me to get a fucntioning system, so get to a working instrument first is the major goal. meaning i'd prefer not to buy 2 filters first for instance :), but buy one of everything then expand.
of the system i already own plaits and rings

sorry for the long intro, i just wanted to give context which i hope gives you enough info. if you have further questions feel free to ask.

lastly, here what i am still wondering.

in the current system i don't have any midi in ( that i can see ) as said i woild like to interact with the system with the m32, what would you reccomend?
is there anything in the system that screams WRONG and is it actually accomplishing my goal stated at the top? Are there different modules you would get instead? Whay would you raccomend i buy first to get a functioning system? And really anything you might think of, i am a total noob in terms of modular and i am studying things as i go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

b y e

carol

there are plenty of things you could do with mom32 - just send sync or a sequence or modulation - or a combination of all 3 - remember mom's pitch is offset though...

1 of everything? but 2 sound sources - see my signature to see how to get the most versatility from your patching for least expense... have a good long think about how this (especially the formula) applies to your rack

I'd not buy a fx aid - I'd buy the pro version though - why? ergonomics, modulation and most importantly being able to tell which algo you are using without a cheat sheet - if you decide you need a second fx aid at some point you can use the pro as an inrack cheat sheet - just sync the 1st 32 algos - so a regular or an xl would be fine

no idea about the alm cases - I'd suggest a tiptop mantis - best bang for buck case (hp/cost/decent quiet power/manufacturer reputation)

nothing screams wrong
why would you want midi?
I think you'll want a bigger mixer than the field kit

I'd add a matrix mixer next... really useful for getting more interesting (& attenuated/attenuverted) modulation out of what you have there

tbh I'd buy pams, maths, a matrix mixer and a quad vca (I'd go for a veils clone for this though) to start... and then an fx aid pro

hope this helps

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

thank you so so much for the reply!! super useful.

oh i wish i had a mom32, i have a midi keyboard komplete kontrol m32 :) i'd trade anytime hehe

hehe touchè the original plan was to get plaits, but then a quite cheap rings came about and i couldn't let it go :) but get your point i'll definitely keep it in mind.

sweet, i'll swap things out later and evenirally get the bigger AID

the MIDI i guess would be to play it piano style, but yes surely not my top priority.

do you have any suggestion for the mixer?

just to recap
Pam -> (plaits & rings ) -> maths -> mixer -> veils -> fx aid pro

do you know if i could trigger randomic/generative sequences with these modules alone or then i would need to buy beads (clones) or something similar ?do you have any suggestions?

again thank you so much for all your help, really appreciated

thank you so so much for the reply!! super useful.

No problem, good!

oh i wish i had a mom32, i have a midi keyboard komplete kontrol m32 :) i'd trade anytime hehe

ah I misread (or mis-assumed) - I only really know modulars, guitars, effect pedals and some older synth stuff

hehe touchè the original plan was to get plaits, but then a quite cheap rings came about and i couldn't let it go :) but get your point i'll definitely keep it in mind.

often happens like that...

sweet, i'll swap things out later and evenirally get the bigger AID

I'd really prioritise the pro - I had the xl for at least a year before the pro came out & like a lot of these multi-function modules it got stuck on a single algorithm... until I bought the pro... plus the pro has a basic scope built in which beginners often find useful - although patching whatever signal into a simple vco (some of the plaits modes will work) and listening is just as good if not better (use your ears not your eyes!!!)

the MIDI i guess would be to play it piano style, but yes surely not my top priority.

yeah but remember not polyphonic...

do you have any suggestion for the mixer?

just to recap
Pam -> (plaits & rings ) -> maths -> mixer -> veils -> fx aid pro

tbh you could use veils as a mixer

do you know if i could trigger randomic/generative sequences with these modules alone or then i would need to buy beads (clones) or something similar ?do you have any suggestions?

Pams will do all that - read the manual... if you don't understand anything - just ask (no stupid questions etc)

& I think you mean marbles not beads, marbles is a (quantized) random cv and gate generaor, beads is a granular/delay/reverb and the only mutable module not open sourced (may be in the future, only Emilie knows) so could be expensive

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thank you so much for all these info

tbh you could use veils as a mixer

sweet, I will then just prioritize Pam / Maths / Veils / Aid Pro

I was trying to look here on modulargrid for matrix mixers and reading a bit about them, they do look super interesting, if you have any to suggest please feel free. It won't be an immediate purchase as I seriously need time to experiment with these modules as soon as I will be able to get them all, but always good to consider for future needs.

Pams will do all that - read the manual... if you don't understand anything - just ask (no stupid questions etc)

amazing, will surely do.

& I think you mean marbles not beads, marbles is a (quantized) random cv and gate generaor, beads is a granular/delay/reverb and the only mutable module not open sourced (may be in the future, only Emilie knows) so could be expensive

yes sorry I wrote the wrong thing, good to know this info too.

One last thing, similar to the mixer, if you have any module you would reccomend please feel free, it won't be anything for right now, but would be good to start to have an idea on expantion and where to expand.

Thank you again.