this user has left ModularGrid

Hi folks,

I really want an ambient build for Tangerine Dream soundscapes. Any ideas on what modules to get and so forth? I did read that they use a lot of sequencers from the Patch & Tweak book. I already have industrial techno covered so really digging a Tangerine Dream setup.

Hi Sacguy71,

Ah yes, Tangerine Dream, one of my favourites too. I think to "copy" their music we need about a half million sequencers if I am not mistaken. I usually don't like to copy someone's style but a bit of TD style can't harm either ;-) So please let me know once you have figured it out!

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks Garfield,

From what I found online TD used everything from Moog to Arp 2600 to Waldorf PPG and Moog modular gear plus tons of sequencers and computer soft VSTs. Now obviously with my far more limited budget and studio space, recreating TD perfectly would be impossible but getting into the ballpark would be nice. I have 2 Elektron sequencers, 1 Korg SQ-1 and 1 Make Noise 0-ctrl sequencers along with a Malekko Varigate 4+ sequencer on the way. I also read they use Moog ladder style filter, perhaps pick up the AJH Moog clone VCO and ladder VCP and the Waldorf Wave table module and Waldorf filters? For next build, looking at possibly Hermod as sequencer or something like VPME Euclidian Circles. No rush on this as just a thought.

Hi Sacguy71,

If you find the perfect sequencer then please do let me know. I am still struggling with finding the sequencer that matches me most or best. Not sure if I mention it to you but mentioned it already a few times here in the forum, I am currently putting all my hopes on the Endorphine.es - Ground Control sequencer, once that one will be released, that is...

Yeah, the VPME - Euclidian Circles might be nice. The Hermod is good as well if you look at the quite few positive posts here around. For myself I wonder if that one (Hermod) isn't a bit too much menu-diving?

Since you have already two Elektron sequencers... that should be quite good already, isn't it? Why not use them in combination with your modular system?

Good luck with TD and the sequencers and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks Garfield, not yet.

I just realized that my Moog Sub 37 can get pretty close to TD sounds along with software VST plugins. So probably won't try to spend a fortune on modular gear to get there. Figure use modular for exploration and FX purposes. Polyphony is very expensive to achieve on modular systems. Anyways here some tracks similar to TD I made a while back on Moog and VSTs

https://soundcloud.com/modben

That said, I do want a few MI modules like Plaits and Rings as they are super fun and awesome for texture ambient stuff.

If you look back at the "classic" TD period between "Atem" and "Encore", it's worth noticing the division of labor going on. Check to see this in action. Froese would mainly stick to leads, while Franke and Baumann are working out the complex backdrop with sequencers and polys. Franke's rig was primarily Moog, while Baumann used a composite of Moog and PPG modules. Also, they almost certainly have a central clocking system for all of their synths, given that this was definitely in use by the time of "Encore" as it appears in that album's credits.

In the present day, this is actually a lot EASIER than one might think...but you gotta know your tech! Fact is, you can cobble up just as complex a sequencer system in VCV or with VSTs in a DAW, and by using some method of sending CV/gate/triggers to your synths, you can have this for far less than a pile of Moog 960s. Or make it happen in VCV, if your machine's up to the task.

Thanks Lugia,

Indeed, I have watched the TD live shows online and they use impressive array of hardware, modular, live instruments and computer soft VSTs with division of labor. I agree- we can achieve a lot with less gear now. I will probably invest in a new computer this year to use for music production and use Ableton Live with modular and my synths. Now that I figured out how to integrate modular via the cursed Doepfer A190-4 USB/MIDI to CV module in my setup with the hardware synths and Ableton, I can do it moving forward.

Regarding VCV Rack, is there a way to use that with modular via a MIDI CV interface? I will have to do some digging to see how that works. Love VCV Rack it helped me get into modular after the 0-coast.

Regarding VCV Rack, is there a way to use that with modular via a MIDI CV interface? I will have to do some digging to see how that works. Love VCV Rack it helped me get into modular after the 0-coast.
-- sacguy71

There should be, if you're running Ableton. VCV has a VST module, and I would think it should be doable to route signals to and from it to Ableton's CV Tools and a suitable interface for direct modular control. Might need some sort of M4L widget, but it doesn't seem impossible. And older MOTU interfaces are cheap; I use a MOTU 828FW mkii for this, which cost me a whopping $120.

Thanks for the quick reply Lugia! I have a Babyface RME audio interface and Keith McMillen K-mix that also have audio interface so will check into this for Ableton. Need to get a copy of the Ableton CV tools.

Hi folks,

I really want an ambient build for Tangerine Dream soundscapes. Any ideas on what modules to get and so forth? I did read that they use a lot of sequencers from the Patch & Tweak book. I already have industrial techno covered so really digging a Tangerine Dream setup.
-- sacguy71

Do not look to copy what someone else is doing. Seek to create your own music. We are all inspired by others. The best thing to do is for your to decided which era of Tangerine Dream you want to emulate or are inspired by the most. TDream and their sound evolved as time went on, and who was in the band at the time. In the early 1970s on into the early 1980s the synths they were using were what was available - mostly all analog, and larger systems were modular analog like Moog (Look at the rig that Chris Franke had in the video someone else’s shared on this thread. As the 1980s to 1990s goes on, synth companies like ARP and Moog began to fade, and MIDI was only created in 1983 by Dave Smith. MIDI allowed the evolution of synths from most manufacturers to be connected and work. In the 1970s to 1980s synth voice polyphony was monophonic, because that was all the technology of the time permitted. As the 1980s progressed, digital synths came into being, and voice polyphony increased. Now, in 2020 you need to decide what types of sounds you want to work with. Analog? Digital? Monophonic? Polyphonic? Then work on building your studio including what you like, because you like the way it sounds.we now have the technology to create, or emulate the sounds of everything in high resolution, like never before. Each tool will add to your pallet in ways you may not even imagine right now. By playing with the various tools you will developed your our sound. If you are in Eurorack, most of us know you are talking about analog synths, but there are so many synths in EuroRack that are digital. For me I got a few of the the Roland System-1m because I like the sounds, they offer several plug-out vintage synth engines, and the System-1m has the CV and trigger connections to go deep in EuroRack. The System-1m is also 4 note polyphonic, where the plug-outs are only monophonic. You get explore EuroRack and get deep, and have 64 patch memories on the System-1m engine, and another 64 patch memories for whatever plug-out you install (I like the System-100 plug-out, but I have them all). Get some sequencers like the Arturia BeatStep Pro and you get to trigger 2 different synth tracks, and a percussion track. EuroRack has opened so very many doors for us all to explore and play. There really is no one TDream rig to copy, as their equipment library evolved over the many decades and incarnations of the band from their inception. No one list of equipment make you create what they did at any point in time. Get gear of your own and play!

Gary Turner
BehrTek@gmail.com
GaryDouglasTurner.com

CaptainBuzzR@gmail.com
CaptainBuzzR.com
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/view/95666

http://modulargrid.net/e/users/view/95666
http://SoundCloud.com/garydouglasturner

Thanks Lugia,

Indeed, I have watched the TD live shows online and they use impressive array of hardware, modular, live instruments and computer soft VSTs with division of labor. I agree- we can achieve a lot with less gear now. I will probably invest in a new computer this year to use for music production and use Ableton Live with modular and my synths. Now that I figured out how to integrate modular via the cursed Doepfer A190-4 USB/MIDI to CV module in my setup with the hardware synths and Ableton, I can do it moving forward.

-- sacguy71

Back in the 1980s I was doing a live radio show and got to see Tangerine Dream twice. I saw their 1986 tour Underwater Sunlight, and in 1988 Optical Race. The band line up included Edgar Froese, Chris Franke and Paul Haslinger. I also got to meet the band backstage to hangout and even record some radio station IDs. I also got to record and interview with Edgar over the telephone ( I should try to find that tape, eh?). In 1986 and 1988 they had huge roll around floor racks of tons of MIDI synths then. You need to focus on the overall sound you want to replicate or go for, then select equipment to helps you create that sound. Keep in mind that a different sequencer, or synth will force you to think differently, and will help you explore new territory.

Gary Turner
BehrTek@gmail.com
GaryDouglasTurner.com

CaptainBuzzR@gmail.com
CaptainBuzzR.com
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/view/95666

http://modulargrid.net/e/users/view/95666
http://SoundCloud.com/garydouglasturner

Here is a great story about TD from 1982 covering their equipment and much more:
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/the-new-tangerine-dream/3669

Thanks everyone these are great details on one of my all time favorite bands, TD. I don't want to copy them but they are a source of inspiration along with industrial bands like KMFDM and NIN both use lots of synthesizers and samplers.