Thread: 2024 Shuffle

Update:

I picked up a few of these pieces last month!

• Step 8. My new favorite module, unexpectedly my now-favorite oscillator, opens up all kinds of new patches.
  • Quadrax. Totally solves the envelopes problem, I haven't felt strapped for modulation since I plugged it in.
  • Ultra Random Redux. This one was always going to be an insta-buy for me, it came out last week so I grabbed it instead of Sports Modulator.

I also learned some quantizing tricks in the new Nerdseq firmware that have me feeling less GASy about sequencers / quantizers (though still would like to try something more performable one day).

I'm thinking that my next move is going to be to pick up a Contour 1 and lock in this config for the Mantis for the next year or so:

ModularGrid Rack

Going no-Maths seems fine given that I have plenty of other attenuation/offset options, plenty of envelopes in Quadrax, a Contour for one Maths-style envelope, and an extra slew circuit in the URR. Of the samplers, I think Nebulae is the one to keep in the rack for this config since it's less liable to distract me making "beats" and more focused on use as a looper, single voice, or fx. It also strikes me as neat to have three stereo effect outputs for Vortices's three stereo inputs -- not that I'd necessarily patch it that way, but it seems balanced. Steady State Gate is a sad cut but between that and Nebulae I'd rather keep in the Neb.

From there, I'll be selling off some of the stuff I'm not using and keeping the ALM case as overflow / a home for OPTX, or to re-rack subsystems for travel every now and then.

Mainly posting this for closure on the thread, but all ears if anybody has feedback!

I should add that switching from Nerdseq to Rene is maybe the most speculative change here. Cutting Nerdseq would lose me a lot of functionality / utility that I currently might be taking for granted, so there could be some blind spots in making that switch. It can function as a big Pam's if you need it to, so I might end up needing to put Pam's back in if Nerdseq is out.

The idea with Rene is to have something more performable in line with making the main rack a standalone instrument; and to do "program a whole song" type of stuff from my DAW / Optx.

The main appeal of those modules for me is the ability to step through chord progressions with performance gestures in Rene

how are you going to get chord progressions out of this? also not enough voices for chords...

Imprecise phrasing on my part! I meant implied harmony, so setting up a few states quantized to different scales and then switching between them to match output pitch sequences to a chord progression, not actually generating chords. Here's a video on it with Rene:

Hi all, I'm considering moving from this:

[edited, sorry!]

to something like this:

ModularGrid Rack

My current system is a Mantis and an ALM 84hp/3U. The Mantis is designed for DAW integration and effects processing, and the ALM is designed as a subsystem for fun with some leftover modules.

The issue is that my main system is kinda overpowered as an effect rack for the DAW, kinda underpowered as a standalone instrument (only Maths for envelopes, or erstatz envelopes from Nerdseq), and heavily reliant on Nerdseq. Which, I love Nerdseq for a lot of things, but it can feel out of place when I'm working in the DAW and it doesn't otherwise lend itself to the patch programming style of patches that I'm coming to prefer. So, generally, this setup lacks focus.

The 2024 revision I've got in mind would refocus the Mantis as a standalone instrument and make the ALM case a "studio" add-on for when I'm at home and working in the DAW / with samples. Which I think makes sense!

It does have some redundancy with Rene / Sport Modulator / Step 8. The main appeal of those modules for me is the ability to step through chord progressions with performance gestures in Rene; the steppy modulation and patch programmability from Sport Modulator; and the ability to patch up shift registers and runglers and weird square waves and overall utility from Step 8. Plus it includes Quadrax, which fixes the lack of envelopes problem.

Looking for an eyeball on the design, any feedback appreciated. Does this look like a reasonable system?

Thanks in advance!

Update:

I got that second Mantis, ignored Jim and got the brackets, didn't like how big and unfocused the whole thing was, realized Jim was right about the brackets, panicked at the flippancy of my approach, returned the second mantis.

Another few months of trial and error and this is what it's looking like:

ModularGrid Rack

Happy to say, it's finally starting to feel coherent!

Nerdseq means I don't have to drag the KSP around anymore if I don't want to -- plus I already have experience with trackers and the extra envelopes and lfos free up the rest of the rack considerably. Vortices streamlines the decentralized mixing I had been doing, plus acts as extra VCAs; Tides gives me access to complex / interrelated envelopes and LFOs when I want them; Select 2 neatly fills a few utility holes in minimal hp (offsetting, switches, "hang" circuits, muting); and those tiny VCAs (most recent pickup) allow me to fit in the Befaco Out, which it turns out I really don't like going without.

I'll be picking up a 3Ux84hp skiff this week as an overflow case and I think that's where I'm gonna park for the long term. I'm loving the main rack, and the overflow will be enough to let me keep OPTX and a few other modules of interest sitting around without being tempted to let it grow out of control. It also seems fun to make portable mini systems every now and then (out of stuff I already have).

Thanks again for the help getting over that hump!

Confirming that mine won't fit into my Mantis unless I tug the rails apart, in which case it puts too much pressure on the pcb to be safe in the long term. It's pretty disappointing to run into such an avoidable issue - and it's not a board you could sand down either, so I don't think there's a workaround.

Other than that it's a great module though. The design itself is really good; the sound is quality (most important); it does what you'd expect it to do; you won't find any other options at 6hp with anything close to this feature set; and I actually really like the distortion from the ACAB circuit. For those with skiffs that fit it better I think it's a no brainer!

It's so true lol 🙈

That makes a lot of sense, especially hearing someone else say it! The infinite options boggle my brain sometimes haha. Will likely be moving down that road soon - thanks!

Hey all, I missed that these responses happened initially, thanks so much for putting thought into this! I actually responded to this thread a couple of weeks ago but deleted it because it was an unfocused 3am ramble haha. I've put a lot more work in over the past few months so I have some more experience to go off of and a solid collection of modules too. Still scratching my head over the layout though. Here's a draft for discussion:

ModularGrid Rack

The first two rows here are the main draft of the Mantis that I basically already have / am planning (draft keeps changing, these are the broad strokes through). Currently I'm swapping out the STMix / Befaco Out for the OPTX depending on whether I'm playing out or at home. The third row is stuff I'd be interested in shoehorning if space allowed (already have the Neb and the Buchla Quad) and the fourth row is stuff I already have but will likely sell.

I'm trying to decide between: 1) Sticking to the Mantis; 2) Getting a slightly bigger case to shoehorn the few extra modules my current setup seems to want; or 3) Getting a second Mantis to have a "studio" case and a "performance" case, which would give me some space to grow into. There aren't any wrong options there, just more expensive options haha.

A few design notes I'm thinking about: Lugia, that draft you put together was really helpful! I picked up the A-138s and it's quickly become a favorite utility; and I think the points about the Verbos were spot on. This draft is missing some of the utilities (lighter on VCAs, less the Frap 321, less the Quadrax), but includes some things I've ended up using a lot (Pique for modulation cv, a matrix mixer for feedback patching, Mutes for controlling that feedback patching and a sequential switch). I have the Buchla FG, which is basically a Quadrax plus expander, but I need to spend more time with it -- so far I've had fun with it but haven't really accomplished anything musically relevant, which is why the Quadrax isn't currently included in the main draft. Ended up with an Entropy over the Nano Rand because of how obnoxious the light is on the Nano, but also because I found that S+H and noise were by far my most-used functions on the Nano and the Entropy worked to fill the awkward 3-hp hole left by the Salmple. I ended up liking the overall sound and functionality of the Dipole much better than Blades (though Blades has a fantastic distortion stage) and fell in love with the sound and functionality of the ZPO, so am planning to go with it over the 258t (although the Buchla obviously sounds amazing too). Re: the Squid Salmple, it's just amazing and the current backbone of my workflow -- I love it to pieces and wouldn't trade it for a Bitbox or external sampler, though I have been curious about the Assimil8or because of its similarity to Squid (with mostly expanded functionality).

Welcoming any further feedback and I now where to look for notifications now!

Hi all, rookie here, hoping someone could help me out and eyeball the below!

ModularGrid Rack

I'm looking to build something in 6U / 104hp that will let me do some sample mangling and (analog) west coast synthesis; sound design for individual parts in DAW projects; and be decent for live performance. I already have a Keystep Pro to use as a sequencer and a Babyface Pro to use as an interface. As a no-budget exercise, does this look like a sensible build? Anything major missing as far as utilities and usability?

The main modules I'm excited about are the Verbos Complex Oscillator, Beads, Salmple and Data Bender. Was also happy that I had space to shoehorn some chiptune oscs in there, and Blades seems like so much fun (though there are a lot of filter options that have me conflicted, mainly QPAS). Musically I'm all over the place -- it's a big ask for the space constraint but I'd like to be able to make everything from Caterina Barbieri-style minimal synth to blown-out experimental hip-hop, and I can imagine doing that with the build I've got going here.