Color is at least a part of the modular landscape, though
-- Lugia

My visual æsthetics are monochromatic; my musical æsthetics polychromatic
But very interesting to hear that those designs are neither random nor the work of a young Design Intern.

Gotta say: I'm with farkas.
The design of some MN modules confuses the crap out of me. Also, somehow I find Eurorack is 'serious business' (don't know how to put it) and some Mutable Instruments and TipTop modules are just too colorful.
:)

Lugia, I cannot express enough how much I value your input. I learn so much from your responses. Both your time and effort you put in crafting your replies are not in vain. Thank you!

I tried to incorporate many of your and farkas' advice and make my future setup better without losing too much of my 'ideas'. While you'd suggest 'externalizing' the drums - and even talked about the :cycles - I tend towards using my :samples as external gear and Akemie's Taiko as a Jack-of-all-trades-FM-drum-voice. This way I can manipulate the incoming external audio in my rack. So I could even get rid of the BIA as well as the Lo-Fi-Junky. I added the expander for both Batumi and Zadar as well as a designated mixer, another triple VCA and the Fold Processor. What an amazing module!! I didn't know it, it seems to be so versatile and it produces the sound I want! So thanks for bringing it to my attention! I'm leaning towards the Varigate-Voltage Block-combo for major sequencing duties.
Am I getting 'there'?

alt text

Geez, Lugia!
You should make money with this stuff ;)
Thanks a lot!

Let's go on:
What if we got rid of the Bitbox and focus on drums and soundscaping? I'd be amazed if we couldn't put anything decent together on 208HP in total. What would you do with at least 18HP of real estate?

Unless you think you really need the ability to recall a lot of presets that the Malekko VCA provides, the Intellijel offers more control.
-- farkas

It definitely facilitates the workflow and it might also come handy in a performance setting - something I don't think about at the moment. But what's also important: Malekko's VCA is 4HP smaller

Hy @Lugia!
Thrilled about your response. Thanks, man! I especially like your focus on the richness of the sound!

Can I follow up on a few things?
(everyone else: feel free to join in, too!)
How does MI's Links compare to the 2hp mixer? As far as I understood, the Links provides also a 3:1 mixer - on top of a buffered mult and an adder.
What are your experience with XAOC's Zadar as a quad EG - that would even double the number of available envelopes, wouldn't it?
Wavefolding: Is this a function that would be non-negotiable for my setup?
Also, did you come across Malekko's Quad VCA? If I'd get the Varigate-Voltage Block-Combo, it supposes to pair well with both (@farkas What are your thoughts?)
Finally, I believe the 4ms Listen4 (Quarters) should work as both a stereo mixer AND Line Out. Am I right?

In any case: Thank you all so far already for your invaluable support.

Hi farkas
Hi Shakespeare

Thank you both! That's exactly what I came here for.
@farkas: Thanks for your suggestions and updating the modulation sources! Especially the Links and 3xMIA as utilities would have gone by completely. I was always - maybe somehow stupidly - under the impression I also could attenuate the signal with the quad VCA and didn't think of it as a mixer. Finally, I like your way of thinking to 'implement' my guitar into Eurorack. So far I don't have something to convert my instrument signals to line. Any suggestions on your part?

@Shakespeare: A great thought to use effect pedals after the Eurorack! Thank you. But I have my concerns and reservations. First, I would want to be 'independent' from my other gear. That's not to say that I wouldn't joke/jam around with an external drum machine or my guitar. But I might also use my Eurorack outside my house and wouldn't want to take my pedal board with me. Second, it 'just' feels better (I guess) to be able to manipulate everything (effects, in that case) within arm's reach.
But I am truly grateful for your creative approach thinking outside the box ;)

Hi there!

I'm Phil, new to the endless world of modular synths, and about to take a plunge into the rabbit hole they call Eurorack.
A couple of months ago I purchased a cheap semi modular for the sole purpose of getting 'into patching' and learning the most I could about triggers, gates, CV and the signal flow from VCO to OUT - before I would start collecting, assembling and enjoying modules.
Here I am, getting comfortable in the forum and building my first Eurorack synth. That said, would you mind telling me your opinion about my plan and setup?

First, a little bit of background and what I'm trying to achieve here: Actually I am a guitarist and want to explore and create music in a completely new way. I don't want to copy anyone or any genre. But if I were forced to talk about the sound I want to create, it would certainly have elements from Industrial, Drum'n'Bass and Hip Hop. An artist I admire is Snakes of Russia, and although I love his beats and how he synthesized drums, my aim is to go for something more melodically rich (due to my background). I could also imagine myself creating soundscapes with character to which I could play the ol' six string.

Let's take a look at this thing!

The BIA is here to create positively weird percussion and to occasionally provide the punchy bass. The CI should give me that dark harmonically rich sound and would be the center of my sound creation. Rings would provide an array of more natural (instrumental) sounds to add another layer or timbre to my compositions. Bitbox Micro... well, it's a sampla player (I probably wouldn't use it as a sampler; I have the WAV recorder for that purpose) so I can bring in externally sampled sounds I can trigger and manipulate.
Let's continue with the lower row: Pam will provide the clock, MD is my esteemed CV sequencer and Marbles should do the rest of rhythm and melodies - especially when I'm too lazy to meticulously program the MD.
Back to the upper row, where you'll find two filters. I initially added the M8 to manipulate the samples. But by now I am certain it will do more than just that. Erica's Polivoks is here because I simply love the sound of it and it will further enhance the sound of the CI and even the BIA.
Off we go to the modulation and manipulation section. Here I'll expect to learn the most from just patching and playing with the modules - and maybe from your input.Batumi should take care of the main LFO-duties and Stages will provide the Envelopes. And frankly, I am a bit intimidated and in awe of what Stages and Maths promise to do to this setup.
Coming to an end, there's a quadruple VCA (intellijel), a simple compressor (2HP), the Lo-Fi-Junky (because I already know and love it as a guitar pedal) and Erica's Black Hole DSP2 for the finish. I can mix everything in 4ms' 4Q, get the audio out and send it to the WAV recorder and its SD card.
d_a_l's first draft

Now it's your turn, fellows. What did I miss? Where am I wrong? What do you like about it?
Do I have enough to trigger and sequence my rhythms and melodies? What's with the modulation part? Am I right to be intimidated but is it the right (whatever that means) equipment in this section? Am I forgetting other utilities?
I am a beginner so be honest and let me learn from you.

Thanks!
Looking forward to this discussion.

Cheers,
p.