maybe an fx aid... it has both bit reduction and some lo-fi algos...
or just get a noise source and mix a little in either to the audio or whatevers envelope you are using to open the vca
-- JimHowell1970

That's kind of what I'm trying to avoid here, I thought of that way, with an enveloppe follower and noise source, but that's require a lot of modules and a lot of patching.

Maybe something like this?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/blukac-endless-processor-both-panels

-- halbroome

Thanks! I'll check it deeper later, from what i've seen, it's more something like a looper.

It all depends on what you mean by 'texture'. Maybe a waveshaper like Fold 6 will give you the 'texture' you're thinking of...
-- Sweelinck

I often use the Erosion to create "shakers" from other signals, it's kind of working like a noise and enveloppe generator I guess, but with nice controls on the noise source. I've checked a bit wavefolders and need to get my head around what they really does. The Fold 6 doesn't look as something made to treat stereo signal but like I said I don't fully understand what it does.

"Erosion" mostly makes me think of bit reduction/crushing and other audio degradation stuff. The Data Bender is the big one here, but you said you didn't like the sound of the "Qu Bit" (the company that makes Data Bender) so I'm assuming that's what you meant.

The aforementioned FX Aid could do the trick. It has several degradation/lo-fi algos (like Shallow Water, LoFi Junky, etc.), and it and you can apply voltage to its SRR input to reduce its clock and get bit reduction on top of that.

Other possible modules would be the VoicAs ReduXer, or maybe something like the Befaco Crush Delay. You can technically patch your own bit reducer with a S&H and superfast clock/audio rate triggering. Another option are various rectifiers, saturators and distortion units, but that possibly sounds more aggressive than what you want.
-- teataine

I missed a word. I looked at Prism from Qubit.
Erosion also have a "noise" mode that is different from but reduction, but I guess a good bit reduction could do the trick. I didn't checked all the algo from FXaid and I don't remember these algo. It could be a good option to try, and if it's not working I still can use it other way. This VoicAs module looks cool actually! Thanks!
About distorsion, I think this will be too agressive and affect the whole signal, I thought of something that add on top of existing sound, but maybe that doesn't really exist in such a simplistic way.

Hi there,

I have been thinking on a "generative groove machine" in eurorack with using incoming main beat or drums to creative new texture.
I've made some test with Electus Versio and I think this is one good way to approach this (incoming audio > QPAS filter > electus > VCA triggered and modulated via Black Sequencer > CEQ for eq and compression).
I feel like I'm missing something to "add texture". In the computer world I would go for something like erosion basically.
I've comme accross a couple module such as Noise Plethora or Hexinverter VCNO but they are more about noise generator than audio effects, and I want something that can process existing audio, and not add an extra source (saving space in the case basically)
I've found QuBit but I don't really like the sound of it on the demo I've seen.
If you have any recommandation of a good module, stereo, that would suit I'm all ears out

Hi, thanks for the advices.

I feel like even without an intellijel case, some 1U module a really cheaper and take less space in this format. That's why I'd put it in the case anyway, to have 1U utilities, very basic stuff. It's really much about saving place for me, having another 3U row would mean a bigger, heavier case.

About the DFAM, I would put it in for a while but if I ever needed space, it would be the first to go back to his own shell.

What kind of module you would have in mind about modulation? For an extra filter, I think I would need one after a while (I'll first only get the LIP or the Generate), but I have nothing in mind atm. If you have any suggestion, let me know!

Hi there!

I'm considering for quite some time to get into modular and this is the year.

I've been making music on hardware for years, playing live on +/- the same setup, with also some semi modular synth (MS20mini and a DFAM), that i'm now use to control via CV (from an analog four sequencer). I've mangled a bit in VCVrack but can't really get my head wrapped around it (specially because I'm more used to explore with hands on than mouse). I think I got pretty well the basic concepts of a patch.

I make techno, most of the time, with touch of ambiant and IDM, and perform live (when I have gigs so maybe 3 time a year lol). Actually my set up is : TR8 for the classics drums, analogfour, a DFAM, and the octatrack (acting as my mixer, and main sampler). Everything goes down in an OTO boom for that final glue touch.

I already now exactly what I want to do with my future rack:
- I need something to create synth line and texture, no drums at all. Something like you could ear on release on Warm Up or Illegal Alien, or my "dream synth line"
- I want it to be small, portable (as I will add it to my current setup and don't want to carry a truckload)
- I need it to be an improvisation instrument. Something I could set up before a gig and play kind of the same way during a set (no big changes, making it a common story thru the tracks)
- I can integrate the DFAM in it, but it's not necessary

First question that comes in my mind is what size to start, and does the 1U range worth it?
I've oriented myself on something between 86-104Hp/6-7u so here are a few case option:
- Intellijel 7U 104hp stealth case: expensive but apparently well made, really light and portable. If someone has it I would be curious to know what module they put and use in the 1U row? And does the extra bag mandatory to travel?
- This one: https://www.synthesizer.gr/modular-systems-en/eurorack-cases-en/Synthesizer-GR-Hard-Case-98hp-7u%20-en
cheaper, but would I need something like a On/off switch module?
- A custom made, with a Konstant lab PSU and a busboard (around 665€). Around 4-5kg with lid, and I can attach a strap to it to travel. Does that seems heavy, and does the price seems fair?
- The same custom made case with a meanwell but apparently those are cheap, and very limited?

I need advice, because I understand that this is a important choice, and I don't want to have to buy another case in 1 year. If you have any other good, affordable and findable option, let me know!

And last but not least, this is the rack I'm currently planning (of course I expect it to change), if you have any suggestion, let me know: ModularGrid Rack

That's all, thanks for reading!