I got this one about a month ago: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vpme-de-t43
It's smaller than Beast's but has many types of switchable offset voltages (they can be combined) and two voltage inputs to transpose with. It only has one single output though.

To be honest I mostly use the octave switches, that gives the most ear-pleasing results, so I kind of understand why ALM went with this design on their module.

How are you creating envelopes? I'd definitely consider a Xaoc Zadar or an Intellijel Quadrax or something along that line.
Also a multi-effect processor like Happy Nerding FX Aid.
3x MIA has already been recommended, it's great.
Something with the capability to play one shot samples, like Bitbox Micro, Squarp Rample, Erica Sample Drum etc.

Maybe a bigger case for all these :D

It's a hard question, what to start with. What is a minimum viable synth that is fun enough that you won't be disappointed and sell the whole thing in frustration.

Key is versatility I guess.
I don't know Permutation but instead of that I'd recommend Pamela's New Workout. It can generate gates (logic, euclidean, random etc), CVs (also quantised, random, looped random etc), clocked modulation, simple envelopes, LFOs, random stuff on 8 channels. It's great to start out with and it remains great in a big system.

I suppose you saw/heard Cloud Terrarium online and you like how it sounds. I think there is nothing wrong with going ahead and getting it if you can afford it. I think it's important that you find your modules exciting.

Instead of the Mix3 get an output module that has a built in mixer, like 4ms Listen Four. You need to attenuate Eurorack levels to line levels, and maybe you'd like to attach headphones. Get a submixer once you have more voices. Mixing CVs is also important, but Maths will help with that too. For later check out Happy Nerding 3xMIA:

Maths is great to start out with and remains great as your system grows. It can even be used as dual analog oscillators that can also track V/Oct to some extent in the lower frequency spectrum.

I love effects, get a Happy Nerding FX Aid (maybe XL) if your budget allows. Filters are also great but you can start without one. You can even create filter-like effects with Maths.

Mantis is a good choice as a case!

Edit: almost forgot, you will need a VCA from the beginning. Without one, you will only be able to make drones. Get one with variable response curves (exponential for audio, linear for CV). Mutable Instruments Veils or Intellijel Quad VCA is generally recommended.

Also, if you have other hardware, like a drum machine, find a way to connect them to your modular. For MIDI there are many modules, like the Mutant Brain. For connecting to a DAW the Expert Sleepers ES-8 or ES-9 might be the best, but there are other options too.

The 8 files have to be named "1.wav" to "8.wav" and be in the root folder of your SD card. Each file should be 32 kbyte.
I never had anything else on the SD card, and it always worked without a problem. You can also try a different SD card.

I originally tried to put most of the modules to the top row that have a screen and knobs on top, and patch points on the bottom, to make tweaking easier. Pam is top middle, because it's often my most patched module, and I was thinking that it needs to be as close as possible to everything else.

Thanks a lot for taking the time for this. I copied it over to my designs, I'm going to go over the changes you made.

I started last year with my rack after asking for your advice, and after a lot of changes this is what I arrived to (edit: if I was being a bit vague, this thing is not a plan any more, it exists phsysically :) ). It's a Mantis case, and this is the first time I feel that I'm comfortable with it and don't feel an immediate need to swap a module for something else. That's why I'm asking you, in which direction would you take this thing:

ModularGrid Rack

As a context: this is a pure hobby case with the sole goal of having fun without staring at a computer screen. I'm not (publicly) performing and not publishing any music. I basically enjoy just sitting down with a basic patch idea and expanding on it. Somehow I frequently end up with some techno-ish stuff...

I was originally planning to add more VCAs, but at the moment I feel comfortable with the Quad VCA that I have, also considering that Twin Waves and Ikarie both have built in ones. I also feel that the Zadar channels themselves can be modulated enough without additional VCAs. I might add some more in the future as my technique improves (if it ever does).

I was also originally planning to have a Quadrax instead of the Zadar, but the 4 HP difference proved to be more important. At the moment I'm using Maths for the snappier envelopes.

What I'm thinking about adding if I ever decide to expand:
* Mixing with effect sends. At the moment I'm connecting my 4x Stereo Mixer and my VCA sum always differently to the output module and to my effects. This could use some standardisation :)
* I find that I love filters. I would like to have more.
* I think I could use some more tightly controllable clocked modulation. Maybe something like a Maestro.
* Ring modulator, I don't have a "through zero" VCA at the moment.
* Something to improve how the complete mix sounds. Worng Soundstage, Jumble Henge or some EQ-Modules maybe.
* Maybe a Morphagene...

Thanks for your opinions!

Get better soon Lugia!

Just bought a Qu-Bit Surface from @grossy
Everything went smooth and efficient, the module arrived well packed, exactly as described.
Thanks!

Befaco Lich has a patch called Polygonal VCO that is supposedly inspired by the Polygogo. I'm not sure if the two can be compared but I would like to know. :)

There is a demo here:

Take a look at Westlicht Performer.

It's a DIY module at the moment, which makes it easier or harder to get it, depending where you are coming from. If you are not a DIY person and don't believe in used gear, you might find someone to build one for you for less than what other, less powerful sequencrs might cost.

It has 8 outputs of gate/trigger + CV combinations, and can also create modulation curves. It has MIDI in and out through TRS and USB.

I like that it has quite deep possibilities of programming and at the same time favors hands-on approaches: you can connect a Novation Launchpad to it and use that to create sequences on the fly and access other functions.

Cinematic Laboratory has some videos about it:

Thank you for your advice.

Could you recommend a dedicated 16x4 CV sequencer that you enjoy? Are we talking René, or is there something more cost effective and beginner friendly?

Thanks again, this is very sound advice!

Thank you very much for your advice, it's really useful.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced, that a system this size will not be able to do all the things I originally imagined it would. I think I have to re-evaluate my plans. I'm glad I haven't invested much in parts yet.

Hello,

I'm trying to put a system together and I'm trying to take my time as much as possible: to be able to gather information and of course, to stay within my monthly budget.

All I have at the moment is a TipTop Mantis case, Pam's New Workout and the 4ms Listen Four. I also ordered the 3x MIA at Schneider's, but it's not on stock. I'm trying to make a system to be able to create evolving ambient with some interesting rythms, and maybe also some faster electronic music.

My current plan looks like this:

ModularGrid Rack

I'm thinking of getting Plaits, Mimetic Digitalis and Milky Way to start, and then slowly progressing further. I'm also thinking of adding an external Sequencer, like a Beatstep Pro at some point. I figure the Mindphaser would be among the last things I'll get.

As you can see, filters are missing. I'm pretty unsure at this point how many and which ones I should go for. As for effects, maybe I should also get another unit next to the Milky Way.

Thanks in advance for anyone giving their opinion.