Thanks znort101, in effect, 10v is a value that can create some annoying problems, in particular touching the terminals with wet (or sweaty) hands. I think it's quite common to get a little electrical shock handling the patch cables. But it's very different than main dangerous leakage current.

My physicians says that this range not create particular problems, but is better to avoid this risk taking care in handling patch cables. It is more dangerous the exposition to magnetic field or stay too close to wireless equipment.

Replicant, the connection to ground of metal case is necessary also in presence of a thermal magnetic circuit breakers ? I live in Italy and my apartment has both protection systems (grounding and this device). Thanks.

most cases are DC powered - similar to a laptop - in fact some power supplies actually use laptop bricks for converting AC mains power to DC +/- 12v and +5v

Hi JimHowell1970, thanks for the reply. Can you indicates some brands that uses this kind of power supply ? I'm interested in 4ms, intellijel, arturia rack brute, in particular, what's about this manufacturers ? Thanks

So even if there were some leakage the amount of voltage to start with is so low that I doubt there would be an appreciable risk.

So, if I understood correctly, through a power supply it is not possible that the AC current arrives inside the case?

The best way to reduce the risk of any sort of leakage current would be to use a metal case and make sure the case is grounded. The location of the power supply (internal or external) shouldn't matter so long as it is properly grounded. And as a general rule, don't cheap out on the power supply.

There is a good centralized and certified grounding system in the building where I live

The one exception you might want to be careful about are modules involving tubes. Some tubes involve quite high voltages, sometimes a few hundred volts, and that is obviously a greater risk.

For sure, tubes are more dangerous, but I don't plan to buy modules with tubes insides

Thanks Replicant!

HI, thanks for the replies!
Garfield, I will certainly use good quality cables and blind panels (made of plexiglass or 3mm plywood) to fill the gaps between modules. Thanks for the tips. About front panels alternatives to metal, I think the companies you mentioned make some great products (i.e Ciat-Lombarde is specialized in making very strange and particular synths, all made of wood), but this products represents a very small, and not significative, part of the eurorack modules system IMHO.

I Agree with your considerations about the interactions that we experiments every day with devices carrying current: I want to keep away from paranoia, I would so operate in the safest way possible so, if anyone knows a way to do this, I'd really like to know details.

I have an ICD/pacemaker implant and have not really considered that any of my music gear posed any sort of risk. If you are that concerned, I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of your implant to ask if they are aware of any risk.
-- moosapotamus
I'm very happy to know that there are peoples in my same situation that not consider risky to handle modular gear. Maybe I'm the problem :D . Yes, I sent an email to the manufacturer of my implant and the answer was "low risks but control the AC leaks issues". May I ask if you ever got shocks from handling your modulars in the past or tingling or pinching? Thanks.

Hello,
I’m a big fan of synths and musical equipment, and I’ve always been fascinated by eurorack and modular world in general. Unfortunately I have an ICD (implanted cardioverter defibrillator) since three years, and I’m a little afraid to handle patch cables carrying electricity, even with low voltage and amperage.

My physician say that the risk of interferences with my device handling modular gear should be very low in presence of DC current compared to AC, so the main risk is due to AC leakage current.

So the questions are: there is a way to eliminate this risk of AC leakage currents? There are some recommendations to make an adequate power grounding to avoid any current on external case or panel of modules? It would be better to use a wooden case or an external power supply in example?

It would be nice if someone with my same situation (ICD or Pacemakers), who uses modulars, could share his experience.
Thanks
P.