ModularGrid Rack

is there anything I can add/swap that would be conducive to making a self contained system focused on drones and noise? I just have the case at the moment

Some effects?

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

By this small casesize maybe only one envelope/Lfo-combo, just stages or tides?

Maybe drop the Milton for a Pams and a 3x MIA?
Something like a Mimeophon or Nautilus?
Or Beads?

SGR-20 from Know Technology = Drone-Noise-Drum-Percussion-Mayhem. + It´s analog
Error Instruments red teleblender = chaotic + bubbly cvs and also noise

What about something like that?
Just a impulse
(Would have no chords)
ModularGrid Rack

I would like this one:

(With Mimeo even darker)

ModularGrid Rack

Greetings

Chris

Normally, having more than one oscillator in a small case is a but much, but for drones it's good to have an oscillator for FM usage or just running them together and getting contrasts from them. In a drone synth, at least two oscillators that can interact with one another will go a long way.

A filter might be a good addition as well. Make sure it's ergonomic for you.

There are a variety of good dedicated drone modules/synths, ranging from the Grendel Drone Commander 2 to the Eowaves Weather Drones to something standalone like the Stylophone GS-2. Even a synth not necessarily sold as a drone synth like a Moog Mavis (which can be both racked or kept in its own case) or other all-in-one device can be the basis of a great drone setup, and they have the benefit of combining a bunch of obvious tools in a smaller form factor so you can focus the rest of your case on more personal choices.

Overall, a "drone synth" is one of those things that really comes down to what you want. Can you think of examples of the sorts of sounds you have in mind? Drones can take many forms.

I took a little of everyone's ideas...

ModularGrid Rack

I don't have my heart set on the Cizzle, maybe if I replaced it with a different synth voice or some smaller footprint modules (Bastl? the Waver I think is an essential after looking at it) that'd work too

to answer Zachsname, I'm aiming for as full a combination of little squiggles of noise and tonality as I can get in a small collection that feels "playable" like its own instrument

Looks pretty good to me. Maybe throw a mult in the 2hp spot (or get a couple of those 0hp splitter type things that are outside the rack).

I'd start with the Vhikk X and build my system around that.