Playing Make Noise Telharmonic through Optomix, QPAS, Rossum Panharmonium, Clouds, and Mimeophon. Lots of knob turning over a simple set of sequences from Rene that feed Telharmonic. I had some gain staging issues running through this chain and a tough time taming the high end noise generated by Clouds feeding on Panharmonium. I'll revisit the patch today to sort that out. Telharmonic can be tough to tame but I really like where this one is going.

I really dig Trident.

The 'voices' in my main modular build consist of three complex oscillators (DPO, Odessa, Trident) alongside Plaits and BIA. Trident has a different take than DPO or Odessa and tracks very well for analog oscillators. It loves to modulate itself or eat modulation from any number of other sources. Build quality is exceptional. Layout is a bit crowded and perhaps confusing at first glance. I wish for a bit more space between knobs. Overall, it's an amazingly capable oscillator and, for my build, gives me a lot of new and exciting options. Totally happy with the purchase.

DivKid shows it off nicely here:

The Subharmonicon pulls 360 mA +12V.
The Voltage Lab pulls 525 mA +12V.
The MSCALE pulls 6 mA +12V.

So, we're up to 891mA @ 12V, very close to the limit of the uZEUS 13.5V 1000mA PSU. Step up to the uZEUS Boost 3000mA 13V Universal Power Adaptor.

I grew my first modular build into four 104HP skiffs, each powered by a uZEUS. It was my experience that a conservative approach was necessary and often found myself needing more power per skiff. The uZEUS was often temperamental with certain modules, mostly those wanting more and consistent draw and operating on arduino/pi/microcontroller/single-board type builds. The flying bus cables were kind of a drag to manage and keep organized. I still have three of those skiffs but now only use one with a 3000mA 13V PSU.

Good, clean, consistent power is vital.

Just a relaxing jam on the Make Noise DPO and Rossum Electro-Music Trident.

Oh, man! 17 minutes... something to achieve, for sure!

Thanks! I really dig this Moog stack. The Behringer D is a fun little toy, too.

An improvised patching session, droning and modulating the Behringer Model D.

Just jamming on a Mother 32 and the Behringer Model D.

Latin is spoken everywhere even where English is spoken today.

I believe this marks the end of the long, strange trip this has been.

Dark Ambient? Maybe consider Desmodus Versio instead of a clouds clone. Lots of potential there.

Just droning on 3 oscillators.

Ah, ok. If price point is the thing then I totally get that.

Let me tell you, I -love- QPAS. I know some don't dig how Make Noise does presentation layer. I do dig it. This filter is just so much fun to ping, play, and patch. I like how the filter handles resonance. Knobs and layout are very comfortable. Downside? It's big. I don't mind. To me, it just plays and sounds so good.

Outstanding! Really great results.

I do the same with Clouds, often placing it before Mimeophon and stripping out some of the "goo." Often, I modulate Clouds 'texture' to create spikes sent over the Mimeophon. Sometimes, I place QPAS between them to further strip out unwanted elements. I don't own rings, but the RES-4 has intrigued me for a while. I'd like to better understand @Lugia's thoughts on reference only since that's something I understand only at a surface level.

Approachable and usable combination that yields immediate results. I'll continue to dial it in over the next few weeks, but the first thirty minutes were pretty telling. Most importantly: a far better purchase than some shiny, fancy module.

EQ and compression in-rack using WMD SCLPL and MSCL instead of Logic Pro.

Yeah, very nice. Our taste in ambient seems to align nicely here. Your thoughts on Desmodus Versio? Is it living up to the hype?

Thanks for the kind words. The conflicting thing about being the boss is knowing when to fire myself. One of these days, I'll have a few beers, get brave, and tell me what I really think about myself. :-)

Not much free time tonight but managed a few minutes with the Moog stack. A little modulation help from eurorack.

Work has kept me from diving deep into DFAM and Subharmonicon. A cold, damp weekend was just what I needed for some playtime. Tons of modulation to QPAS while Subharmonicon drones a 4-step sequence. A fun and uncomplicated patch to explore.

Thank you, both. Next week, I move stereo EQ and compression into the rack so that it will be faster and easier to maintain sound separation and dynamics. Really looking forward to that.

Another from my first album in the works, Reticulating Splines.

Got into a fun little patch and jam while hanging out with others after SynthBooth 2020.

I find it to be a very sensitive module, especially the 'tonic' knob. Bumping it even slightly can result in a bad time. Any knob movement needs to be either subtle or full-on. Same with CV modulation.

Yes! This.

First 15 minutes with Subharmonicon.

Spending some 1:1 time with Make Noise tELHARMONIC. I love just about everything about the design, implementation, and presentation of this strange and wonderful oscillator, but it often evades my grasp and leaves me fidgeting hopelessly to integrate it into my patching. So, I thought we'd hang out for a bit this evening.

This is tELHARMONIC pushed through QPAS, WORNG SoundStage, and Mimeophon while modulating and pinging both vco and filter with ochd and PNW. Just a fun, wandering drone session.

Thanks, I'm glad you dig it. Yeah, Telharmonic is a strange beast, for sure. I sometimes have a hard time reigning it in. I'll make my next evening jam a Telharmonic solo drone. Let's see what tones and textures we can get out of it...

Patching during a passing thunderstorm. The Pacific tree frogs are singing...

Jamming on DPO, a Moog Mother 32, and Telharmonic with support from DFAM. A bit of fun with Clouds. Interesting filter modulation and notes provided by DivKid ochd and RND STEP. Thunderstorm approaching and a nearby transformer just blew. Time to power down, but hope you enjoy! :-)

My second jam on the completed Moog stack. For this one, I created two simple sequences on two Moog Mother 32's and a kick with the DFAM. The two Mother 32's are patched to through Rossum Electro-Music Panharmonium and Make Noise Mimeophon. I'm playing the M32's and Panharmonium by hand while making changes to the two sequences using modulation from Pamela's New Workout.

Thanks, @GarfieldModular! That is high praise, indeed. Creating music at the caliber of those artists is something I hope to do within my lifetime.

After dedicating two long weeks to the company, I was finally able to sneak away some time this evening for a long jam on the Moog stack. Here's a slice of that set played on two Moog Mother 32's and the DFAM. I poached some eurorack for effects.

Now for ten hours of deep, uninterrupted sleep...

A sneak peak at another track in the works for my first album, Reticulating Splines.

@GarfieldModular Thanks! Much appreciated. Just having a little fun with my Boston crowd.

Playing two Moog Mother 32's and Rossum Electro-Music Trident through QPAS, Panharmonium, SoundStage, and Mimeophon. Just having a bit of fun tonight. Nothing too serious. The West Coast is on fire.

I've learned so much this year about my personal approach and modular build. A few things have changed, all for the better. Early on, it was often 'cool module' gas, but now each purchase is very much, "want to do this, need that." Lo-Fi junky will be one of those. Most importantly: super fun to play.

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks, @GarfieldModular! Having a lot of fun with the mixing module.

Full disclosure: This was my first 30 minutes with WORNG SoundStage.

I've been getting good feedback about sound mixing and separation in my tracks. I've found myself wanting more space, depth, and clean separation of sounds. This is what I'm trying to achieve more of by incorporating SoundStage, because I don't enjoy adding more to DAW workflow. I acknowledge also that I have a lot to learn about mastering.

So, this is about gaining as much as I can, modules first, DAW and studio (monitors, mixer) changes second. For this first bit, I'm using vertical stacking only, not horizontal stereo field placement. Just going for cleaner separation of sounds.

Would love to hear from folks on this aspect of my next few patches or tracks.

Great stuff! A very nice exploration.

Exploring the WORNG SoundStage with a little 2xMother-32 improvisation. Other VCO's are Trident and Telharmonic.

Thank you! Hoping to do something a bit more organized soon. ;-)

Another evening jam. :-)

Interesting. I'm running a full Pittsburgh Modular Structure EP-420 without noise concerns or issues. Maybe ping someone at PM and ask about it?

Played live on two Moog Mother 32's and a modular synthesizer.

Thank you both for the kind words. Looking forward to getting more time in this week.

Well, I am guilty. Guilty. 10 days of vacation and all I did was fly my paraglider, fish for wild trout in mountain streams, and drink cold IPA's under clear, moonlit skies. It was terrible. So, tonight I got right back into it. Gave myself 10 minutes to create a patch and then played it. I reached for two Moog Mother 32's and DPO. Went with it. Thanks, to DivKid and Instruo for this awesome øchd.

When starting out, I did a 3-Tier Moog 104hp skiff build. At the time, it might have presented lower upfront cost, but with my planned build growth rate of only two years, I really only ate $775. Here's a breakdown:

Moog or Make Noise 104hp unpowered skiffs x 3 = $300
Moog 3-tier rack kit $70
uZeus power supplies x 3 = $255
uZeus Power adapters x3 = $105
Flying bus board cable expanders x 3 = $45

Completed Moog 3x104hp case build: $775

Cost of Pittsburgh Modular EP-420 case with clean, protected power and all required hardware: $849

I tore down that Moog build and am now gifting each 104hp powered skiff to friends getting into modular. It's nice to be able to do that, but I'm almost certain that at least one of them will do what I did. ;-) I'm reattaching the 3-tier metal frame to my two M32's and adding a DFAM, so using as originally intended.

Something I learned from folks here and MW: Have a good plan and make good use of it.

Just a very simple ambient patch with René 2 and DivKid øchd feeding Odessa and DPO. Pushing resonance all over the place. Somewhere along the way, I bring in a Moog Mother 32. DPLR, Clouds, and Mimeophon creating space.

Hey, welcome!