Thread: Strymon AA.1

Can I use this as a level shifter for an Octatrack?

Well stated... agree on all counts.

Since I wrote those comments I got an Octatrack. I am using the PM stereo loop to attach the Octatrack. Ultimately I don't think I will stay with this setup. The levels are really wrong. I think the OT needs a dedicated "line level" interface, and I plan to try using my Strymon pedal interface. For Stereo mixing I'm running my stereo sources through my Befaco ST Mix, and into the PM input 7. But as you said, you lose the per voice effects levels that way. You get far less versatility out of your effects modules.

An incredible playground with a dizzying array of mangling options. It's a lot closer to a bucking bronco than an old "paint".

Had it for about 2 hours and I'm already prepared to say it's not a replacement for Clouds (Typhoon). It's different. It's probably "better". And you can easily justify having both. Having said that I plan to replace Typhoon with a uCell or some micro HP clone. I need the space back. Beads is super awesome, and I barely know how to use it yet. I do sort of wonder how it compares to my Mimeophon if you fully master both modules. The granular "genre" has a lot of variety and crossover. Beads has been very approachable for me.

Thread: WMD 4tten

Thanks for the info, I was just about to jump on an offer for one to add to a palette case. What rail presents an issue, exactly? Upper one? Lower one? Both? And do you think some filing down of the PCB could help? Had to do that with a MN Rosie once...
-- theneweuropa

You can't file the PCB. There are metal parts folded over the PCB on the ends. I can jam the thing in my pallet case, but you can have issues with the stuff near it because it bows the rails out wider. Especially bad in 4MS pods.

Anybody care to compare FILThy to Popple?

I have C4rbn as well, but most of my VCO's are stereo. I didn't really warm up to the C4rbn right away, but it's a filter with a lot of character. I have probably used my Vult Freak the most, and now I have two filters with VCA's.

Awesome bang for buck. This just replaced my Popple. Packed with features, and the quality seems excellent too.

Apparently this thing is now retired. :-(

Thread: WMD 4tten

"May not fit" is a gross understatement. This thing won't fit, or barely fits in everything I have tried it in. In an Intelligel Pallet you can absolutely forget it. :-(

I've had the mixer a couple of days, and here are my niggles so far. Only two stereo channels. No gain controlled stereo effects send/return. The effects loops with gain control are mono only. There is a global effects loop (compressor is suggested), but it's sort of all or nothing. They have an expander that adds two stereo channels, but only one expander is allowed. To get mutes you have to buy another additional module. So with the two expansions you are another $350 in, and at 56HP. This thing draws a full amp of power. Lets face facts here, any Eurorack mixer must be a compromise with the space limitations. I think WMD did a pretty good job, and there is a lot to like. It would be nice to route various stereo sources (Ensemble, Cloud Terrarium, Clouds, Plaits, Rings and Morphagene all have stereo) through Magneto, Mimeophon or FX Aid in varying degrees. Ah well, it's not a perfect world.

Thread: 2hp NPF

Yep, nicely done 2hp. I love the video. They went all out.

So you gain a channel, but you lose the VCA. I have the Pusherman DIY version, and it actually says Popple right on the board.

You will note that A-180-9 has an unequal number of channels. 8 for the top and 6 for the bottom. So if you order the Intellijel companion 1U modules this gets a bit confusing. Channel A = channel 2 on the Intellijel, and I presume you lose channel 8. So you don't get the full 16 channels pairing 2 Intellijel with an A-180-9. If you need all 8 channels on every Intellijel you buy, then you need an A-180-9 for EVERY Intellijel module. The bottom A-F channels are wasted. Unless you connect the A-F channels between Doepfers and leave the Intellijel out of it. Another one of those reading the fine print situations. And another tidbit if you use the bottom six A-180-9 sockets... A = 2, B = 1, C = 4, D = 3, and so on. an annoying byproduct of Ethernet wiring presumably.

You will note that A-180-9 has an unequal number of channels. 8 for the top and 6 for the bottom. So if you order the Intellijel companion 1U modules this gets a bit confusing. Channel A = channel 2 on the Intellijel, and I presume you lose channel 8. And you don't get the full 16 channels pairing 2 Intellijel with an A-180-9. FWIW

I just got mine, and I agree with the others. This thing is a monster alpha male. I think I'll find uses for it. I think it's a good augmentation to my setup because I mostly use Plaits and Peaks for percussion up to now. I have tried to shy away from one trick pony modules. I also think my Muxlicer and Percall will help augment and tame this beast. I'm generally either in pounding beats or all the way in the other direction doing generative ambient. Interesting times.

If you need the voltage offset, this module requires the channel above the channel to be offset to provide the voltage. So in effect it's 8 channels, but only 4 can provide offset. I got it to provide offset to OCHD, so this was a disappointment. This could be better documented.

This just arrived from Reverb after a long period of no scopes available anywhere in the US. This thing is super easy to use without looking at any manual so far. And it's going to be a massive value for understanding what is happening in my rack. It could do some things better, but it's affordable, and uses limited HP. I have no complaints, and have barely started using the features.

Agree and I have one and prefer my Intellijel and Erogeneous Tones VCAs at least they have LEDs for polarity and activity with CV inputs.
-- sacguy71

I looked at the Erogenous Tones, but I couldn't pass up the cost on the Hex. I also have the Intellijel. I think I'm going to end up with an assortment. I just ordered a dual Doepfer to dedicate next to my VCO bank.

I just built this, and frankly, the only thing I really wish it had is LED's to indicate the polarity of the CV input.