Yes! This is lovely! The 2HP pluck does indeed sound very very nice. But as WBB says, Rings is also a great option, and I'd guess a lot more playable given the size.

Merry Christmas all! My recent productivity continues unabated…

Here we have a pretty moody, low key, long-form ambient track with slow-mo, morphing, twisting, trippy visuals created in Artmatic Designer. The music was made with VST synths from Arturia's V Collection and recorded in Presonus StudioOne. On this track I used Pigments 4 for both the main track and for a percussion track, the OB-Xa for the mid-range arpeggio, and Augmented Voices for the high range arpeggio. The shaker track comes from EZ Drummer 2. I used the brilliant built in sequencer in Pigments, tweaked all kinds of ways, for the main track and the percussion.

I think the moodiness in this comes from using the Locrian mode. The Arturia VST synths do sound amazing to my ears. Really fun to explore the collection. I also tried Davinci Resolve for the first time after seeing it recommended here a bunch of times. OMG it’s so much better than iMovie. Won’t be using that POS again. :-) Cheers!

https://m.

Hi TumeniKnobs,

I think I have said this before, but I still don't understand why you are not working for the Holywood filming studios. Great music and overthere in Holywood they must be sleeping, not recognising the great music you are making every time again and again! :-)

Which program on your Mac are you using to do the screen recording?

Keep up the good work and thanks a lot for sharing this with us. Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Thank you Garfield for the heavy compliments. What you describe sounds like "work" to me. Then I'd probably end up hating music. That, plus Hollywood is full of flakes, freaks and weirdos - I couldn't work with those folks, nor they with me. :-)

The screen capture was done with QuickTime Player. I only noticed it a couple of weeks ago as an option in the File menu. It was super easy.

Cheers!

nice track, reminds me of pink floyd on some aspects !
-- davebrohl

Thank you! I'd be lying if I said I haven't been pretty heavily influenced by David Gilmour. :-).

Somehow this turned into a rock tune. It started out as a regular old modular jam - then I pulled out my vintage Kramer to see what would happen... I probably should have called this Rusty Fingers, as evidenced by my guitar playing here. ;-). This track features the Moog Matriarch, assorted Eurorack and my old Kramer StageMaster Deluxe 1. Drums were pieced together with EZ Drummer. Time-keeping courtesy of the JMK ClockStep Multi ( StudioOne is the source syncing to CSM which then syncs Pamela's New Workout). As a side note, the ambient sections at the beginning, middle and end are exactly the same patch as the lead parts for the Matriarch, Rings and the Ensemble Oscillator - just with tempo slowed, envelopes lengthened and effects at full wet. It fascinating to me that you can get such huge changes with just a few knob turns. :-)

Instead of recording the modular all in one go like I usually do, I multi-tracked each part separately and "songified" it by fading tracks in an out in the DAW. I thought it might be interesting to see that, so I tried the screen recording feature of QuickTime and it seemed to work pretty well.

Cheers!

Foley sounds! Yes, that's awesome. Thanks.

Nice jam dude! I always suspected there was a body and a head attached to those tatooed arms, but now I know for sure. Haha!

I don't usually go in for nostalgic San Fran hippie drug culture stuff, but maybe I've been wrong about that (at least some of it) because this is friggin outstanding! Fantastic video and sounds. I absolutely love the core timbre you selected for this piece - it's just perfect. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Nice track. Cool, weird modular. :-) I'm interested in the percussion sounds. How were they done?

Love this! Just my kind of chaos. Reminds me of someone going to town on a Chapman Stick. Cheers!

I really enjoyed that. Great dynamics and a lot of cool sounds and mixing in the different parts. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Thread: By a Thread

So this is a departure from the usual eurorack only recordings. I used a couple VSTs for some reason - probably because I didn't have to get off the couch. ;-) I bought a Launch Pad Pro a few weeks ago and have really been loving playing on the grid. This track has its core layed down by the modular, but I added a bass track and a lead track that were performed on the LPP. It really does lend itself to different licks than what I can do on a keyboard. Cheers!

By a Thread - Patch Notes

Pad:
Endless processor fed by Elements, into Bionic Lester
BL modulated by The Hypster
Kick and Percussion from VPME QD

Modular Drums:
Kick triggered by LL8
Percussion triggered by Euclidean Circles Channel 1 & 2 and A-151 switching, modulated by Mod Medusa, panning by Kermit

DAW Drums:
Hi Hat and fills by EZ Drummer, sequenced in Studio One

Bass:
Arturia ARP 2600 V3 - performed on Launch Pad Pro, midi recorded in Studio One

Rhythm Melodies:
Elements sequenced by Metropolix and into Veno-Echo into Performance Mixer
Elements modulated by Wave Packets

Brenso sequenced by Stochastic Inspiration Generator
Brenso into Blades into Mimeophon
Brenso wave folding and Blades cutoff modulated by Mod Medusa

Lead:
Buchla Easel V - performed on Launch Pad Pro, midi recorded in Studio One

Visuals created in ArtMatic Designer

Thanks Fred! Much appreciated.

Song for Apate and Dolos - Patch Notes

Metropolix CV1 out to XPO 1v/o, CV2 out to Elements 1v/o
Metropolix Gate1 to Quadrax for XPO envelope, Gate2 to Elements Gate In
XPO Triangle out to Elements Ext In
XPO stereo Fold outs into QPAS, into Quad VCA, into Vena Echo, into Performance Mixer
XPO Modulate L & R modulated by The Hypster
QPAS Cutoff modulated by Diode Chaos
QPAS Radiate L & R modulated by Diode Chaos
QPAS Q modulated by Sloths
QPAS !! Triggered on the 7s by RCD
Vena Echo Width modulated by Kermit

Elements L&R Outs into MotionMTR, into Nautilus, into the PM
Elements Timbre modulated by Mod Medusa
Elements Position modulated by Mod Medusa

SIG CV into Rings 1v/o, SIG Gate into Rings Strum
Rings L&R outs into Blades
Blades L&R Cutoffs modulated by The Hypster via Let’s Plosh and attenuated/wiggled by Planar2
Blades into Motion MTR into PM

Radio Music into Bionic Lester, into Mimeophon into PM
BL BP mode cutoff modulated by The Hypster
Mim Zone modulated by The Hypster via Let’s Splosh
RM Ch 6 ABRAMO.RAW was used

PNW into LL8 Ch 1 2 and 3 (Bass, HH, splash)
LL8 into VPME QD
QD HH modulated by Mod Medusa
QD into Roland 531 mixer
531 into Chronoblob, into PM

Visuals created in Artmatic Designer

Apate - Greek goddess of deceit
Dolos - Apate's male counterpart and the spirit of treachery
I thought it was apt considering the super creepy nature of the voices. Sure doesn't sound like everything is going to be alright.

Howdy folks! I have been doing a lot of recording but not actually finishing them off. My current efforts are around finishing and releasing the tracks before I do any more recording. Here's the first one, which is decidedly not modular in any way.

For this one I pulled the NDLR out of it's box and got this little ditty out of it after tweaking and rehearsing it for a couple of weeks. It's using four Arturia V collection VST synths. Namely the CS-80v, Pigments, OB-XA and another I can't seem to remember.

I have also been recording the summer's passing thunderstorms, so I thought I'd drop one of them in and I do like the effect. I just crack a window and stick the Zoom H4N Pro in and hit record. No effects or anything on it - it's just the raw sound of the rain, wind and thunder mixed in. I love that the natural ebbs and flows of the storm are clearly heard with rising and falling levels depending on the intensity of the rain. In the mixing, I did extensive track level volume automation on all tracks to increase the dynamics.

Then there are the visuals: I spent several weeks tweaking this animation and rendered multiple versions before landing on this one, which I think is just full of stunning, morphing shapes and color fading throughout. Enjoy!

This is great! Sounds great and the video compliments it perfectly. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Arrandan. I appreciate it. I've really been surprised at how much I like the 100 Grit. It is very fun to mess around with.

In the animation, I do not believe the Julia fractal is used. I checked all the components used in Designer for this rendering, and their algorithms/parameters and did not see any reference to any Julia set. But there is a lot of math going on that I can't pretend to understand. Designer certainly has various Julia sets to use and a load of other fractals, but it has so many more components to choose from, it is a very deep rabbit hole. :-) Cheers!

That's fantastic! I do this kind of jamming in my studio all the time, but you've put together an amazing effort to coordinate everything into a true one man band song performance. I doff my chapeaux to you, FredFoxtrott!

Love it, hauntingly beautiful!
-- Niemandsland

Thank you for checking it out and your kind comments. Much appreciated.

Hey Troux! I've noticed folks falling into the feedback patching hole recently. I was just watching a no-input-mixer-feedback video the other day and was a bit too fascinated by the concept... One of these days I'm sure I'll give it a go, but these are great! I listened to the first one and part of the second one yesterday and will get to the whole of the second one today. Thanks for sharing!

This modular piece is an enhanced and extended version of the entry I submitted for the 2023 ModWiggler.com Song Contest. The entry tied for the third place prize. :-) The prize I got was a Flight of Harmony Famine 500 - I have yet to summon the courage to try it...

The challenge was to do a cover song OR an original work, using effects/sound processing to ultimately shape the piece, AND for original works it must use counterpoint, AND all phrases must be an odd number of bars. Each bar can be an even number of beats, 4/4, whatever, but the number of bars per phrase must be odd. I choose to do an original piece. Quite a challenge.

This jam is in Cm. The phrases are 3 bars, four notes per bar. In this extended version I mess with the sequence order quite a bit. The effects that make this interesting to me are three separate delay modules each running at different rates on their parts - makes for some really cool rhythms, especially on the drums and the pluck track. The delays totally change the character of the raw tracks and I fade them in and out to highlight the overall influence.

I made this weird animation with Artmatic so I thought I would try to blend the two videos together.

Detailed Patch Notes are in the description on YouTube. Cheers!

Hi Folks - Just wanted to post my latest recordings. This one is called A Hundred Lamentations and came about while exploring Schlappi Engineering's 100 Grit filter. A very interesting module that makes a ton of crazy cool noises. I was actually feeling really depressed when these brooding wails came out of it, so it fit my mood perfectly at the time (it was work related and has since passed). I also think the animation fits well and is one of my favorite Artmatic pieces to date. Cheers!

Another lovely track! I'm glad I subscribed to this thread. :-) Is the guitar all pre-recorded and coming from the Bitbox? Cheers!

When I first heard of the Krell Patch I just totally didn’t get it, but after trying it I absolutely love it. This is an awesome exploration of the concept with such a huge variety of sounds and tones. Amazing! Have you checked out the 44 part super-in-depth series by Daniel Cramer? He takes it to crazy levels too. Cheers!

I rarely listen to tracks people post... but massive star trek fan - I'm called Jim after Kirk - because I negotiated watching (I think) the first set of re-runs of TOS on the BBC in 1973 when I was 3 years old - they were on at 11pm and my bed time was 7 or something!

I'm guessing the biological responses sample is Tuvok, but it really sounds like Leonard Nimoy's Spock...

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks for checking it out! I find Star Trek absolutely fascinating, but I only got hooked when TNG was running. Yes, that’s Tuvok and Janeway. I’ve done three more “Trek Jams” since this one that you might also find amusing. They’re all on my SoundCloud in a playlist. “You Seem Apprehensive” is my favorite, but for some reason I think I listen to these more than any of my other recordings. I haven’t watch TOS in ages but there’s got to be a ton of sample worthy, inspiring dialog to build tracks around. Cheers!

Nice patching! Thanks for sharing . I haven’t had a chance to sit down with the Strange book yet, but it is really cool to hear examples created directly from the book. Cheers!

Howdy! There's a soundscape contest going on over at ModWiggler and I created a patch for it that turn out pretty well IMO. So after recording the patch within the limitations of the contest rules, I went crazy adding a load of additional sounds and modulation to it and I really like the result. The one thing I really like here is Rings into 100 Grit into Nautilus. I thought it would be an interesting combo and I think I was right. ;-) I also paired the audio with a hi-def fractal animation created in Artmatic Designer. Cheers!

The contest is here: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269260

I dig the tone and arrangement, dense, manic, and tristis, yes-please!
-- VOW3LLtheVAMPIRE

Thank you for checking it out. Much appreciated!

Howdy folks! I recently reorganized the entire rack and added a few new modules. I wanted to make a big, multi-part patch and try out new gear and techniques and this is what came out. It's pretty dense and manic, just how I like it. ;-) This is a live performance recording and was captured in one take after rehearsing it a few times. Enjoy!

Rough patch notes:

Polaris - Filtering hats 1
Rampage - Modulating Blades
Plaits 1 - Arpeggios
Ripples - Filtering hats 2
Sloths - Modulating Rings
Maths - Modulating Plaits 2
Roland 531 - Mixing VPME QD
Marbles - Gating hats 1 and 2
VPME QD - Kick and Hats 1 and 2
Rings - Lead line
Matrix Mixer - Mixing Kermit
IME Kermit - Modulating Ripples
PNW - Gating VPME QD Kick
Brenso - Pluck line
Blades - Filtering Brenso
Plaits 2 - Bass line 1
100 Grit - Filtering Plaits 2
XPO - Bass line 2
Mimeophon - Delaying Plaits 1 Triple Time arpeggio
FRS - Gating Kick drum patterns
PPW - Master clocks
Sequential Switch - switching kick patterns
Tides - Modulating XPO and Plaits 2
Nautilus - Delaying Brenso plucks
Chronoblob 2 - Delaying Rings
Starlab - Reverting drums and bass line 1
Stochastic Inspiration Generator - Sequencing Brenso plucks and Rings lead line
Rene 2 - Sequencing Bass line 1 and 2
Keystep Pro - Arpeggiating Plaits 1
VCAs by 2x Intellijel Quad VCA
Envelopes by 2x Intellijel Quadrax
WMD Performance Mixer - Mixing all tracks

Recorded on iPhone 12 through iRig Pro Duo

EQ and Normalization in StudioOne 6

Titles from iMovie

Wow! That's really intense. Amazing job. I'd love to know how this kind of track is made. Is there a lot of recording small samples and editing them together in a DAW? For example the section that starts at 0:40. It sounds complicated...

Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Great track! Subtle and trippy and Christmasy all at once. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Thanks for checking it out, Fred. Much appreciated.

Definitely some unique sounds in your tracks and a lot of interesting listening in your albums. I particularly liked R​é​currences. Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

A deceptively simple sounding patch, and beautiful. A great listen. Thanks for sharing. And those Stoel modules look interesting too. You need to do more promo work. ;-) Cheers!

Howdy folks! I've been tweaking this patch for a week and I've really enjoyed the many forms it has taken to get to this point. This is a performance recording (probably take 5?) and I used the Moog Subharmonicon, MI Rings, VPME.QD, Make Noise XPO, MI Plaits, Qu-Bit Nautilus, Strymon Starlab, Stochastic Inspiration Generator, Rene2, etc. etc. ;-)

I also spent a bunch of time creating the animation in Artmatic Designer. It really is an incredible program for creating these stunning visuals.

Enjoy. Cheers!

That's fantastic! I popped on my good headphones and listened to the entire album. Bought a copy too. :-) I think One is my favorite, but I'm looking forward to listening again to the whole thing.

Didn't realize you are in Hungary. Hoping to go back in the spring to visit. I have family there, in Eger.

Cheers!

Very nice track. And I love the motivation. I've been looking at stand alone noise/drone boxes like the Moffenzeef Stargazer, but I bought the Ongaku app instead and I love it! I didn't completely beat GAS, but I scratched that itch for a lot less $$$. :-) Thanks for sharing.

Love the slowly morphing sounds in this. Sounds awesome. Cheers!

Thanks Mowse! Haha! Yes, back in the day it took an absolute age to render anything. These animations at 1280x720 took several hours each. I can render a 10 minute video overnight depending on the complexity. I have a 7 minute very complex fractal video rendering now that looks like it'll take about 30 hours on my M1 Mac Mini - this would have been impossible back then. Cheers!

What do Klingons dream about?

Things that would send cold chills down your spine and wake you in the middle of the night. It is better you do not know...

Patch notes:

The vast majority of this patch is the amazing combo of the Stochastic Inspiration Generator driving 1v/o of Make Noise XPO into Schlappi Engineering's 100 Grit into Qu-bit Nautilus. Throw a load of modulation at those modules, add some Starlab and bingo! You've got semi-melodic, glitchy, droning madness. I wasn't sure if I'd like 100 Grit, but wow! it is so fun. Here I am using the Naultius' Sonar Out to drive the 100 Grit Cutoff in strange and unpredictable ways. There is also a stabby, panning, heavily modulated part provided by Brenso into Blades. There is a performance element to this patch as well - this was not a set it and forget it patch.

Then there's the great dialog. It's a great little scene from Deep Space 9 that I bookmarked ages ago thinking I might find a soundtrack to use with it. There are two audio tracks with that dialog. Both are created in Arturia Pigments. One is just samples of the dialog played randomly with some delay and reverb. Then there's another track that uses Pigments Granular processing to make it weird. Those two tracks then are fading in and out strategandomly with volume level automation in Studio One.

Then there are the visuals. Those are created in Artmatic Explorer. The $50 version. I got tired of hunting for cool public domain video to use and discovered that Eric Wenger is still at it. I was a Bryce user back in the 90s and I am very happy to rediscover this amazing software. I did not spend a ton of time creating these videos, but I still think they're cool. And huge acknowledgement to the dude/dudette that created that awesome Son of Moog mock album cover.

Cheers!

Thread: first patch

I agree with the rest of the folks - this is an impressive first track. Well done!

Just had this running in the background and it definitely caused me to stop what I was working on and replay parts. Great track! And the video goes perfectly with it. Thanks for sharing!

Great jam Bruno! Thanks for sharing.

Great stuff as usual, Mowse. I too am really enjoying having Nautilus in the rack. I finally found something to be a viable alternative to Mimeophon for cool delay based effects, but clearly Nautilus offers more delicious weirdness. FXAid Pro and Chronoblob are good, but not as good. Thanks for sharing.

Thread: Some Ambient

Excellent! I love this kind of thing. Starlab sounds super lush here. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! For this I pretty much did as you say - I used two of the XPO stereo outs to the four 1/2/A/B ins on X-Pan and treat them basically as mono sources, and I modulate cross fade and panning for all of it so they swirl around. I also used two mono outs into the Aux channel. It’s more for highlighting the stereo overload you get from the combo as opposed to highlighting the native stereo you get from the XPO on its own (which is excellent and like the QPAS effect). Cheers!

Interesting patch! It definitely goes into some strange/beautiful territory. I think Rampage is going to be my next DIY project. Thanks for sharing.

Nice! Nautilus really does some very cool effects. Definitely a keeper. Is it just me or does it really do granular better than Clouds/Beads? I tried both of those modules hoping it would sound like Nautilus does. OK, maybe Nautilus is technically not "granular" but it is the sound I was after with those modules. Cheers!

It is hyponotic! Some cool sounds in there, for sure. I am not a "techno soldier", but there are definitely a few here. Thanks for sharing.

First jam with the new Make Noise XPO. It sounds amazing. This is a one-take, raw performance recording. No additional processing on the audio.

Here are the rough patch notes:

XPO to X-Pan to QPAS to Mimeophon
VPME QD for Kick and Clicks - Clicks go through Chronoblob 2

Rene X channel driving the main sequence - goes into XPO main 1v/O
Rene Y channel is driving key changes going into XPO 1v/O second input
Rene C is sequencing Blades cutoff which is filtering the VPME Clicks
PNW is modulating Snake changes on Rene X

Planar 2 X axis is set up to drive QPAS cutoff on the second input
Planar Y axis is driving the XPO FM level

PNW is sending S&H to QPAS main cutoff
PNW is pinging the left wildcard input on QPAS with a euclidean rhythm
Sloths is modulating QPAS Q level

XPO Saw and Sub outs are going into X-Pan Aux and Maths is fading them in and out

Tides is modulating Fade and Pan on X-Pan A & B Channels
Diode Chaos is modulating QPAS Radiate levels
Ochd is modulating Mimeophon Zones
Batumi is modulating PWM on XPO

Quadrax is enveloping XPO square waves with a sharp attack and longer release, and enveloping the wave fold outs with a soft attack and sharp release

Performance Mixer brings it all together and Strymon Starlab provides some reverb through the Aux send/return.