Thread: Jolin ASHIKO

The Jolin Ashiko seems to be an interesting module. Can anyone tell, if it allows for smooth panning between left and right? Is it possible to smoothly move a sound through the stereo field from one side to the other? Or if it's more like switching: signal is either hard left or hard right? That's not 100% clear from the demo videos available, at least to me. Thanks for helping.

Thanks, @pusha. Good to know!
Does anyone know, if the MN Optomix's response is linear or logarithmic? I can't find any information on that.

I also own a Viol Ruina. I hated it for quite some time, because it behaves strangely, most often. I had the same problems you described. And yes, the filter out is pretty low volume. You basically need the Mangle to push the level up. I had the module laying around unused for months, before I gave it another chance. And then somehow it clicked for me. Now, it's an integral part of my core setup. I mostly do parallel processing with it, as I can control the amount of crazyness it brings with it, that way. I know how to push it, to get what I want from it. But I'm sure, there's even more, as it is such a beast, in a positive way.

Thanks for helping, @geusensdriesmusic. Yeah, after watching the few available videos about the module, I think it can do what I need.

Does anyone know, if the Jolin Agogo's LPGs responses follow incoming enevlopes? I ask, because using envelopes as CV on the Takaab 2LPG, for example, does not work that way. Here, a longer attack only delays the opening of the vactrol: the vactrol opens and closes, when a certain threshold is passed, which can be done using an envelope (you trigger/strike the vactrol with the envelope, basically), while filter and volume responses are solely determined by that vactrol's characteristics. So, can I shape the response of the Agogo LPGs to have a longer attack and/or decay time, using an envelope as CV, like I can using the Ctrl input on the Make Noise Optomix?

+1

I would also love to separate the Pulp Logic TILES size from the Doepfer 3U / Intellijel 1U STANDARD size. They are two different things and deserve different attention. Both are relevant in Eurorack but don't mix well. If I could search for only one or the other it would avoid much confusion while planning a layout.

The 3xVCA should actually be easier to get in the EU than elsewhere, given that they're in Germany.

Happy Nerding is actually from Ukraine, when info is correct. As Ukraine is not part of the EU, reorders can be complicated and take some time. Thus, every now and then it can happen, that the devices might not be available inside the EU.

a simple way to make a high-pass from a low-pass is to invert the low-passed signal and add it to the unfiltered signal. I guess this is exactly what the Doepfer Wasp is doing.
-- the-erc

Thanks @the-erc for explaining! This makes perfect sense. Good to know, that it's not a malfunction but a principle based behaviour.

@GarfieldModular Let's talk about tips and tricks for Mid/Side processing in Eurorack in another thread.

I've been playing around with Mid/Side processing in Eurorack, lately. As it's not easy to find helpful information on that topic, I thought it might be a good idea, to start a thread here, for discussing and collecting information.

Mid/Side processing is a commonly used mastering technique (more info here and here), but can also be used in modular synthesizers, to enrich/enhance/manipulate your stereo image. The basic principle is based on splitting a stereo signal into one sum (Mid) and one diff (Side) signal. These are mono signals of their own, which can be processed independently and differently, before being combined, to form a stereo signal again.

In Eurorack this can be done with modules such as the Worng LRMSMSLR or Shakmat SumDif.

I usually use this method inside my system to gain a wider stereo image, by splitting my master stereo out and processing the Side signal as follows: cutting its low end, boosting its mid frequencies and raising its volume. Works pretty well (apart from that irritating but logical behaviour described and clarified here).

I think it's a great technique to play around and get creative with. I would be interest in how others judge and use this in modular synthesis. What are your experiences, tips or best practices regarding Mid/Side processing in Modular?

Hi @GarfieldModular, I'm splitting the stereo signal into its sum (all info, that is the same in L and R) and its diff (all info, that is different in L and R) signal. Those are mono signals of their own, and can be combined, after processing, to form a stereo signal again. That's the wonders of Mid/Side processing, a commonly used mastering techniques. In Eurorack you can do that with modules such as the Worng LRMSMSLR or Shakmat SumDif.

I've been playing around with Mid/Side processing, lately. I'm using the Worng Electronics LRMSMSLR to split my stereo signal into one sum (the Mid) and one diff (the Side) signal. Thus Mid and Side can be processed independently and differently, before being converted back (added) to a usual left/right stereo signal. This can create some interesting, special and great effects. I use this method inside my system to gain a wider stereo image by processing the Side signal as follows: cutting its low end, boosting its mid frequencies and raising its volume. Works pretty well. However, I came across one problem, that made me wonder:

Running the Side signal through certain modules inverts the stereo image, i.e. sounds that are in the right channel before processing are in the left channel after processing and vice versa. I investigated that mostly with my filters: North Coast MSK 009, Doepfer A-124 Wasp, Noise Engineering Viol Ruina. Pretty interesting results. Using the MSK 009 inverts the signal, no matter if the HP, BP or LP output is used. Using the Viol Ruina outputs does not invert the signal. Using the BP out on the Doepfer Wasp inverts the signal. Using the LP/HP out on the Doepfer Wasp inverts the signal, when Mix is in LP position (ccw), but does not invert it, when Mix is in HP position (cw).

I understand how filters function in a analytical/mathematical way, but I'm definitely lacking electronical knowledge to comprehend what could be causing this different and strange behaviour.

Can anyone help to clarify?