I think this fellow wiggler got confused on the "submit a module" button.

I would add effects, but that's just me!
-- Mrknobs

Yes! Planning a skiff for effects only.

I think you'll be fine. But my 2 cents:

1. Rosie is a mono module. The 2 inputs are mono(both are in the center, not panned left and right). It's designed to let you crossfade between 2 mono signals. You can use the aux send and return to the Clouds to get some stereo reverbs, but you'll be patching back and forth between the Rosie and the Clouds... It's doable, but what if you bought another stereo module one day?
    so maybe choose another output module that has stereo inputs(Like the "Outs Mk. II" from Pittsburgh), if you don't want your Clouds' reverb and delays end up in mono.

2. If you want to add something, try some modulation modules(LFO, Envelope, etc).
    Yes, the MATHS can be used as a LFO or Envelope, but it's only one module.
    Maybe get a LFO to control the size and position of the Clouds?

Cheers! And happy tweaking!

Removed the last mother. I can always run that externally, or in a new case which I'm inevitably going to start up lol. I added an Akemie's Castle for some fantastic FM possibilities, Evaton RF Nomad for noise/weirdness/sonic exploration, 4 intellijel buff mults and an ADE-32 for clock sync stuff. I'm done for now. I'll start working on the next rack when I play around and figure out what's "missing".
-- aeonblack

Must...have...all...the modules! Haha!
Nice system! One day, I'll have a big system like yours!
Rock on, man!

Yes, that damned gap! Hahah.

I honestly think you'll be hard pressed to shave much space no matter which route you take, 4 channels takes up space, no way of getting around that. I would say the only major place you can shave some weight is in the oscillators. If you can find slimmer versions of the same components elsewhere, it might be worth considering, but honestly, I think it looks really good the way it is. You can always just buy another rack! Haha
-- aeonblack

Thank you, sir!
Yes, my solution is build another rack/skiff! Problem solved!

Removed the Grendel Drone Commander 2, as it might be a while before it's out anyways, added in the 4MS SMRF. Trying to figure out what to fill my last 10hp with
-- aeonblack

Haha! There is always a gap!

Yes, I actually had the same thoughts regarding mults, but, for now I want to see where I end up with what I've got, I may not end up using it that much right away. But, I'm sure I'll find out very quickly if I need more of anything hah. You've got a nice little setup there! Any particular reason you went with two "vintage" styled oscillators? If you're not opposed to dsp over analog, there really are some fantastic sounds to be had with some of the digital stuff (I'm clearly a Mutable fanboy though, so take that with a grain of salt haha). Still, you might want to add a little variety? You might want to also consider something smaller than the Dubmix in favour of gaining some extra rack space? It IS an awesome unit (had it in my rack until I realized I need to make more space), but especially in a smaller rack, all that space is precious.
-- aeonblack

Sadly, yes, I'm planning this rack to be "as analog as it can be". Nothing wrong with digital, I'll plan another skiff for all digital modules, then I can overclock some digital modules, and create some insane glitchy sound design stuff!
And yeah, the Dubmix is huge! I wish I could swap it for something smaller. I'll be using it as panning movements and a final summing mixer, nothing else. So I guess it doesn't do justice to it.
I could go the panners+mixers route like yours, but for 4 channels, it's pretty much the same HP...

Made some more changes. Removed another Mother-32, down to just one now. My plans have definitely changed quite a bit since my original inception, but I think in it's current state, it is highly functional, and I shouldn't be losing much by removing the second Mother. Added a Maths, because everyone and their dog has been telling me to add a Maths. It is going to take me forever to figure that one out (I watched a few videos and I'm still just as confused haha). Also added an MI Edges and the upcoming Rings. The Rings sounds fantastic, and perfectly inline with many of my other modules, and I figured by adding the Edges, I'll be getting a lot more flexibility. Besides, chiptune is fun! Replaced my Outs and Attenuator with an Intellijel Audio Interface 2, gaining a nice input for if I want to integrate samples or one of my other standalone synths into the module (I may end up just running and output from my main studio mixer into it). Switched the oscilloscope back to the Data unit, as it's much nicer. I have everything either on it's way to me now, or ordered/preordered, with the exception of the mother-32, drone commander, clouds, rings and dixie 2+ (as they are all out of stock/not released yet).
-- aeonblack

I'll totally do the same changes! Haha I think we have the same logic when comes to modular. I also had a MATHS planned, and confused,too!
If I were you, I might add more mults, just in case you want to split more CVs or clocks.
Here is mine plan, I don't have as big budget as yours :-), hope you can shine some light on it:
ModularGrid Rack

Thread: Case depth

Hi Vinnie_Lee,

the deepest I know of is this 19" frame: http://www.doepfer.de/home_d.htm.
140 mm usable depth where the bus boards are.
Going with custom frames similar to this (http://clicksclocks.de/904) you could go deeper if you wanted to.

BTW some modules are only like 20 mm. That's why I built my cardboard skiff case just 38 mm deep on the shallow side.
I find that more convenient than working an upright case.

(late wish to Santa: A 'sort by depth' feature in the module browser would be nice :)

-- wiggler55550

Thanks for the info!
I've been thinking, get a Doepfer plywood 9U case ($460),
or get a 12U mixer briefcase, and get a switching busboard and PSU from Intellijel or something(around $550), which offer more HPs and more juice, but I have to put them together myself...

Thanks! It definitely makes it a lot easier putting this thing together when you have a goal for a specific type(s) of sound you're looking for, that's for sure.
Would the MI Frames not cover the panning? The description definitely says "Quadrophonic Panner". Would I be better off getting something more dedicated just to panning?
-- aeonblack

Yes, the frame can work as a panner, by plugging in a mono signal into the ALL jack, and the outputs will be 1 and 2. So, you can only pan one signal with the module(e.g. Pan the drone sound to the left, everything else is in the middle). And you lose the VCA function by doing this, I think.
You might want to add a couple of panning modules, A-134-1 from Doepfer($110) will do the job.

Nice system!
I try to do the same kind of music.
If it was up to me, I'll add 2 panning modules to pan some of the voices to the side, or VC them so they move across the stereo image.

ModularGrid Rack

I'm building this to do some slow wide drones mainly. And some mono basses, maybe a little bit sound design.
I also have a Korg SQ-1, and a Korg MS-20 Mini.
I want this to be all analogue. Will plan on a full digital system later.

1. Do I need more modulations to do drones? With this system, I'll have 3 VCLFOs(up to 5, If I count the VCOs), 3 envelopes.
  2. Do I need Ringmod? Phaser?
  3. I like the 9U cases from Doepfer. Should I go for the plywood one(a-100lc9, $460) or the metal one(a100p9, $675)?
  4. Do you think a switching PSU is a better choice than the linear one that built in the Doepfer cases?

Any opinion is welcomed!
Thanks!

Thread: Case depth

There are some nice cases out there. Which case offers the most depth above PSU and bus board? Modules like uLFO have 60mm depth, but some cases like Pittsburgh only have 38mm.

Should be the almighty Drone.
-- solitud

Thanks solitud.
Yeah, I thought about that, it's drone for sure. But that guy said something like *******(insert big word here) recording method.
EDIT: Found it! It's called an Aleatoric(chance or dice) recording. Here is the video:

Hi guys and gals! Vinnie Lee here.
I'm a producer and mixer for a small record company here in Beijing. And I'm also a guitarist. Been playing music for 14 years, and got my MS-20 Mini and SQ-1 not long ago. Trying to go modular, and happy to find a place like this!
I want to say thank you to everyone who works on this site, you did a great job! Keep on the good work!

Use blank panels to cover those empty spaces on your case, you don't want to stick your hands in it by accident and get shocked... For the dust, just use any cloth(cotton prefered, no static build up).

I discovered to not place sensitive modules like spring reverbs next to the modulars power supply. They pick up easily hum.
Also if you plan to include 5V modules it makes sense to place them in one row so you only need one of those adapter thingies.

-- solitud

Thanks for the information solitud!
BTW, do you think the power supply's magnetic field will affect the modules? I heard about that on some Youtube videos.

It will create some nice self evolving ambient sound.
I remembered this kind of process have a name(a guy said it on Youtube, but I forgot which video), what is it called, again?