Hello, this is my 1st post...take a look at this setup. I also have next to it 3 mother 32's and 2 Dfams. I use a Matriarch as keyboard and more resource. I do ambient/progressive music. I humbly am interested in your comments/input. I still have two 104 hp cases above these 3 completed cases (not shown). So 208hp left. Thank you!

do you mean this...

ModularGrid Rack

seems really light on modulation and utilities... more envelopes ad routing options desperately needed!

mixing doesn't seem very well thought out - basically vcas and end of chain... no sub-mixing...

racking the Moog is an expensive way to house/power it - put it back in it's case!

how are you sequencing?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hello Jim, Yes this rack is mostly sound sources and sound modifiers...I have been using the Matriarch envelopes to modulate. It also has attenuators and LFO...so what would you recommend for this rack? I was considering the ZADAR. I also have been patching all of my synths (Moog Mother 32 (3) and 2 Dfams and Subharmonicon) into a Mackie 16 channel mixer. I can record each synth separately or I can record a live performance. I use a Focusrite 18i20 and an Octopre for interfaces. I put in the 4ms Mixers in the rack for live playing. I guess that would be my "sub mix?"
BTW, I built custom racks for stacking my 5 Moog units before I got into expanding. I did not want to stack the Subharmonicon on the top so I put it in the 104 case. The Moogs sit next to this rack.
As far as sequencing, I use the Mother 32's and I also have a Keystep 37. Thank you for your time.

Hello Jim, Yes this rack is mostly sound sources and sound modifiers...I have been using the Matriarch envelopes to modulate. It also has attenuators and LFO...so what would you recommend for this rack? I was considering the ZADAR.

I'd probably want at least a decent function generator (I like maths - good learning material available - videos and the 'maths illustrated supplement' - good jumping off points) and a quad envelope generator...

zadar is a great envelope generator - extremely powerful, especially with the nin expander... you might also consider the poti expander for batumi...

I'd also strongly consider a matrix mixer to allow you to mix copies of modulation sources to derive more related (and even more complex) modulation sources...

modulation is one of the key advantages of modular over other synthesisers, make good use of it.... another is utilities - there are a wide variety to choose from, they are incredibly useful for expanding patching both control voltage and audio... see my signature for some hints...

I also have been patching all of my synths (Moog Mother 32 (3) and 2 Dfams and Subharmonicon) into a Mackie 16 channel mixer. I can record each synth separately or I can record a live performance. I use a Focusrite 18i20 and an Octopre for interfaces. I put in the 4ms Mixers in the rack for live playing. I guess that would be my "sub mix?"

do you take your Mackie for live performances?

by sub-mixer I really mean downstream of end of channel - combine different sound sources for filtering and processing, combine differently processed parts for further filtering/processing etc etc etc

BTW, I built custom racks for stacking my 5 Moog units before I got into expanding. I did not want to stack the Subharmonicon on the top so I put it in the 104 case. The Moogs sit next to this rack.

then it shouldn't be too difficult for you to either build an extension or a 6 tier rack then to house the semi rack, or to build a 6u rack to extend the case you have to find room for the support modules that imo your modular desperately needs

As far as sequencing, I use the Mother 32's and I also have a Keystep 37. Thank you for your time.
-- Mooger59

those and the bloom should cover everything - but don't the Moog semis use different scaling? ie not 1v/oct - if so I'd consider something that can convert the Moog sequencer output - iirc disting has an algorithm for this...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

...and of course, there's Erica's MScale module. The problem is that the Moogs can and do use negative CVs for pitch. There's ways to get around that that don't involve an extra module, but they can also be a PITA.

Even with the Matriarch being used for modulation signals, you're going to come up short in terms of capabilities. Fact is, a far better way to judge if a build is going to work would be simple math: your "voicing" modules (VCO, VCF, etc) should only be about 1/3rd of the build, while the other 2/3rds-ish are your "supporting" modules. As for the...uh...whatever is going on with those 4ms Listens, allow me to hip you to THIS: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/emw-8-channel-stereo-mixer Yep...eight stereo-ins, takes up far less space. And there's a hint there...

If you rework things here so that you have more functional density in your modules...without compromising the ergonomics, natch...you'll find more space opening up, just as with this one module. And the price will come WAY down as well.

I've taken advice here and added modulation sources and Erica PICO Mscale for Moogs....asking for a review again, suggestions. Remember I have Mother 32's Dfam, Subharmonicon in their own cases. Using Matriarch as keyboard. Would like to try the Metropolix....have not bought. Still making ambient and prog...still learning but having fun. Wish I had more time with the system.