Hi
I' m new in Modular Synth and I'm building my rack
I have have the Mother 32 and Maths right now

I'm waiting for the Erica Synth Wavetable VCO to come ( is in transit).

I'm playng this rack win Hologram Microcosm and a Delay Effects

What you suggest to think as a next upgrade?
A VCA Module?
A Multiplier can be good on the right on the rack, 2hp?

I play Ambient music with echoes from Carpenter Films...and some Interstellar remind..!

Any suggestion will be appreciated!

get the moog out of the case,no need to have it there

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Thanks but I like the Moog and I want it here

get the moog out of the case,no need to have it there
-- Broken-Form

whilst I'd agree taking the moog out is generally the way forward - as it's got it's own case and power - it's up to you if you are happy paying double for those... maybe in the future when you need more rack space you'll change your mind...

the next module I would get if I were you would be a triple or quad cascading vca... for 2 reasons, 1 you'll be able to mix the outpts of the vco and the moog 2 you'll be able to shape notes from the vco, rather than just letting it drone

you'll probably want a filter next for the vco and then a mult (although I'd be more tempted to get a splitter or stackcables to save space)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Now I understand...
you both said to remove he Moog in order to obtain more space!
I can understand but I would lile to make this rak (Racbrute Arturia 6U) portable.
In the future I think to connect another rack to it of the same type, so 2 x Rackbrute 6U

But not now!!

Now I 'm only thinking at the modules and VCA or Multiplier seems to be the next in line
Also a filter for the second VCO as suggested

If you can telle me what module are considered good to look I will start to make sono analys/paralys!

thanks

Cascaded quad VCA is a very good option, both for audio and modulation.
For example Intellijel
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-quad-vca
Or some clone of Veils.
An auxiliary mixer for modulation will give you plenty of play if you eventually want to add effects modules with feedback.
I have this in my sights
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/st-modular-matrico
and a classic
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-138m
The filter theme depends a lot on your tastes...
Greetings,

This Multiplier seems to be perfect (2hp) :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/l-fusion-electronics-quad-0-1-active-precision-multiple

is a good solution?

This Multiplier seems to be perfect (2hp) :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/l-fusion-electronics-quad-0-1-active-precision-multiple

is a good solution?
-- centecente

think about what you need to copy... if it's v/oct (that you want to be accurate) or triggers that you want to re-patch mid performance - or you are trying to patch (for example) Maths outputs into unbuffered inputs - then a buffered mult makes sense... no idea about that specific one though... otherwise for modulation purposes then passive mults work perfectly well enough (and are cheaper and can be implemented outside the rack - thus saving space!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

If I add another VCO I need also another filter and VCA for it or I can let it work with Mother 32?

I already have the Wavetable VCO and I'm patching it with Mother 32 but I do not have so many IN and OUT more (I ordered ad multiplier in the meantime...) and I'm triyng to understand how to add another VCO voice

I also need a Mixer?(Math can be used for this...so probably I'm already ok for that).

so...the real question is:
for any VCO I have in the system is required a filter, LFO and VCA in order to use it?

I know is a boring question..
I'm new in modular!

If I add another VCO I need also another filter and VCA for it or I can let it work with Mother 32?

possibly not sure on patching as I don't have any semis - but more vcas (get a quad cascading one - think of it as an investment (& it can also be used as a vc mixer) - and filters are almost always a good idea

I already have the Wavetable VCO and I'm patching it with Mother 32 but I do not have so many IN and OUT more (I ordered ad multiplier in the meantime...) and I'm triyng to understand how to add another VCO voice

probably using a mixer pre-cv out of moog mixed with vco out, mixer out into vca in of moog??

I also need a Mixer?(Math can be used for this...so probably I'm already ok for that).

whilst Maths does include a mixer, using it as such kind of stops you using Maths for anything insteresting... get a quad (or triple) cascacading vca

so...the real question is:
for any VCO I have in the system is required a filter, LFO and VCA in order to use it?

well not required as such - depends what you are hoping to do... but lots of people have multiples of these per voice... multiple filters can give choice... multiple lfos (and/or envelope generators and/or function generators ie modulation sources) will allow you to modulate more parameters on modules... vcas are useful for both audio and modulation sources... a matrix mixer is incredibly useful for mixing modulation sources together to create more complex ones - especially when patched into vcas and sample and hold modules...

Regarding using the Mother 32 with another VCO, I assume you're meaning using the 'external audio' input jack on the top left of the patchbay. Just note that patching there inserts the signal before the VCF and the VCA in the module, so unless you're looking to turn the Mother 32 into a 2-oscillator voice (going through the same filter and VCA) or to just use the ladder filter in the Mother 32 with an external oscillator, then you'll need something else to mix it with a second voice. Cascading VCAs are always a good idea :)

If you're not sure what modules you'll really need to make patches you're happy with, you should consider spending some time with a program like VCV Rack or another software modular environment to try and make a few basic patches or view other patches to get a basic idea of what you might need. Looking to non-modular hardware synths that you like for guidance can also be a good idea to get a feel for what most would expect to find in a typical synth voice.

thanks @JimHowell1970 and @PajamaLlamaLand

I understand your answers and I agree that a quad VCA is the solution in order to add another voice and control those sounds in a more convenient way.

Now I'm using the EXT IN of the MOOG putting in it the Wavetable VCO ( ...before patched in th MIX on the MOOG )
So I'm using the VCF and VCA of the MOOG as you wrote.

I'm waiting to arrive a Quad Multiplier so in the incoming future I'll be able to use more signals into the EXT IN

I agree for VCV RACK , I need to make some test with it.

I have a Minilogue XD and Monologue from Korg but I would like to completely dive into modular 'cause... I like it!!!

Just to have an opinion...

The Pico Mscale of Erica Synth can adapt the Moog M32 -5v +5v to standard 0v 10v
Usually used to control the sequencer pitch with other Eurorack Modules

Do you think is necessary to have it, a must have in my configuration?
I plan to do not have another sequencer... I'm fine with the one in M32

The Pico Mscale resolve only the sequencer out of the M32 or can be good for other kind of controls?

Pico & The Final Frontier

Pico MScale
‘The module is not limited for use with Moog Mother-32 only. You can use it as a regular eurorack precision voltage scaler': https://www.ericasynths.lv/media/Pico_Mscale_manual_v2.pdf
- Useful? Yes. For the scale difference -5V +5V / 0V +10V
- Essential? No. Because the pitch of the note can be adjusted by the frequency of the destination sound source.
- Tip: start without it and decide later.
- Testimony: my MScale has made the round trip between case and drawer several times. It is currently on holiday...

Mother-32
There are a few constants among modularists:
- A passion for exploring sound.
- The temptation to acquire new modules.
- Their need for space to house all those modules.

So if you want to, leave your Mother-32 in the RackBrute, but you may soon hear the call of the big spaces.

Modularists are pioneers at heart ('Go West! Young Man'), gold diggers, conquering sound: 'To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!

That's why their cases are never large enough.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

All clear!
Thanks for answer
And also video :-)

I would like to add a Mixer module on my system
what you suggest?

something mono, or stereo?
it will be nice if the choice will be on one of the brands I have, just to look fine inside the case...?

• First suggestion: Erica Synths Black Stereo Mixer V3 (or V2).
    Great little mixer and same brand/aesthetic as your Black Wavetable VCO (as you wished).
    10 HP.

• Second suggestion: Befaco STMix. Excellent small mixer too.
    6 HP.

Both suggested modules accept mono AND stereo.

• Third suggestion: no other module yet :)
    Because your Quad VCA is also a small mixer, 4 voices, but favoring mono.

At the moment I have the modules you can see , but the space is not a problem for now
Moog can go outside alone in it's case
And if I will need more space in the future I can buy another Rackbrute.

but you are saying that I do not need another mixer? And use the VCA?

I have reworded my answer for even more clarity...

thanks! really clear!
just because I'm thinking to find another module....
what can be interesting to add to my setup?

I was thinking about the Turing machine module....

I like drones, I have Microcosm pedal connected and a delay

thanks! really clear!
just because I'm thinking to find another module....
what can be interesting to add to my setup?

I was thinking about the Turing machine module....

I like drones, I have Microcosm pedal connected and a delay

-- centecente

turing machines are great - but they need to be clocked and they need to be quantized, if you want to use them for pitch with other sequencers that are quantized... so it might mean that you need more than just one module - ie the module you want and the modules that are needed to support it...

if what you want is 'looped quantized stepped random voltages' for generating 'pseudo-random' melodies - then it might be worth looking at a Pams New (or Pro) Workout - they can both do that - amongst a lot of other things including clock functions (master, division, multiplication, euclidean), logic, gates, envelopes etc - the screen on the Pro is better from all accounts and it has a lot more functionality - it's a module you'll grow into, if you don't mind the menu diving (which isn't that bad really, quite shallow, but a bit tedious - iirc you can save and recall presets - so that may help)

I'd think carefully about what you are missing in your patches - ie I want to do this, but I can't because I don't have that functionality in my case... note these omissions down - and then prioritise them before searching for and ultimately buying new modules

+1 for Pamela's PRO Workout!

+10 for 'I'd think carefully about what you are missing in your patches - ie I want to do this, but I can't because I don't have that functionality in my case... note these omissions down - and then prioritise them before searching for and ultimately buying new modules' (@JimHowell1970).

And you may find some good food for thought here and there:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10117
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10976

Thanks JimHowell1970, I can understand better about TurinG Machine
Nice to hear about Pamela, it was another option in my mind...

Thanks to Sweelink!
I agree about +10!
But I'm learning all by myself and it's also hard to understand what I need o want because I still trying to route VCO and LFO ....

I have a sort of control of my system but it's sure that if it will be in your hand I will be surprised !

anyway I've read the links and some good suggestion are now here

Thanks JimHowell1970, I can understand better about TurinG Machine
Nice to hear about Pamela, it was another option in my mind...

good

But I'm learning all by myself and it's also hard to understand what I need o want because I still trying to route VCO and LFO ....

I have a sort of control of my system but it's sure that if it will be in your hand I will be surprised !

what exactly are you having problems with??? feel free to ask...

still learning and playing...
I can create some nice sounds and sequences experimenting all the modules togheter

Plaits is nice for the sounds and also wavetable add more depth when lowering the octave

Math is used as controller of some effect , it is a complicated LFO in my hands.

Mother 32 is so good and clean, maybe because was the first one in my hands and now I can control it better.

still thinking what module to add at my rack...
I like to play ambient and soundscapes, no drums for the moment...
Generative is also a direction

what you suggest?

still learning and playing...
I can create some nice sounds and sequences experimenting all the modules togheter

excellent....

Plaits is nice for the sounds and also wavetable add more depth when lowering the octave

Math is used as controller of some effect , it is a complicated LFO in my hands.

'maths illustrated supplement' - work through it multiple times - think about what why and how!!!

Mother 32 is so good and clean, maybe because was the first one in my hands and now I can control it better.

still thinking what module to add at my rack...
I like to play ambient and soundscapes, no drums for the moment...
Generative is also a direction

what you suggest?

-- centecente

ambient soudnscapes - reverb and delay are great for this... especially when subtly modulated! - percussion not so much imo - slow, chaotic modulation - triple sloth for example - or random modulation - wobblebug - although both benefit from a lot of attenuation/attenuversion/(matrix) mixing etc - so as always - utiltiies!

generative - in a box it's difficult to ignre marbles (clones), turing machines etc - although there's a lot to be said for running multiple gates through a (vc) mixer and into a quantizer for generating random melodies