This is my first post on this forum. Hello.

I've started a mini rack to expand on my 0-Coast/SQ-1 combo. It's a Doepfer 48hp powered case. I had everything all planned out, but then discovered that the power load was limited to 380mA, which is much more limiting that HP, so I have to start all over. I'd like some advice in order to put together the most efficient small rack possible.

The rack is based around the Doepfer A-119 and MI Beads. I'm mostly into weird, experimental music, and use the preamp to input the sound of my double bass, and use the envelope follower and comparator to influence various parameters on the 0-coast and Beads. I also have an Erica Synths Dual Drive, but it's temporary - it will be replaced when I run out of space/power.

I need utilities. Attenuators, LFOs, mults, VCAs, etc. I'm sure you all know better than I. But I'm looking for modules that can be multi-functional, but draw very little power. I basically only have about 250mA/+12V available (more -12V and +5V). I was thinking the Ochd (80mA), the HN 3xMIA (80mA), and maybe the Xaoc Tallin (20mA).

That leaves me with 10HP/70mA left.

If I could fit one other effect module in there that included distortion, that would be a bonus.

What other utilities would be essential for this rack? Are there better options for my current modules?

Thanks!

well the chances are you're not going to be able to fit everything you want in a 48hp and there's more bad news - that 380mA - I'd really only advise around 300mA of it... otherwise you'll probably end up with start up issues (when beads tries to take more power during startup - but you might be lucky) - they're really only designed to hold a few low voltage analog modules & they're really over-priced imo - a mantis is almost 5 times the size & over 6 times the available +12v for less than double the money & you'll need that extra space and power, sooner than you'd like to think!

better to plan your case around the modules that you want (& actually need to support them) than trying to cram too much in too little space

but for now - swap the happy nerding 3mia for the 3vca and then get some passive attenuators... and then buy a mnatis...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Yeah, I totally made a rookie mistake, it never even crossed my mind to think about the power. But at least I found out before I bought all the modules - or worse, before I damaged anything.

Thanks for the advice - I was wondering about passive attenuators.