Well, I've found myself in need of more VCAs (insert "you can never have too many..." joke here). I was thinking about investing in something that is a little more pricy than the usual suspects, specifically the L-1 Discrete Blacksea Quad VCA/Mixer (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/l-1-discrete-blacksea-quad-vca-mixer), but aside from a few extra features like the lin/exp switches, is it diminishing returns to spend twice as much as something like the perfectly servicable Happy Nerding 3xVCA, Intellijel, Veils, etc.?
I love the Happy Nerding stuff I already have, so I'm sure the 3xVCA would be decent. Is it just an indulgence to invest in the L-1 or something "high end" in that vein? I'm not an audiophile, in fact I usually focus on lo-fi styles, but I'm already pretty covered on that front. I need something on the cleaner side.
Just fishing for opinions, really. What do you all think? Anyone have experience with L-1, or another VCA module that you swear by?
Thanks in advance!

IMHO it's hard to go wrong with the Intellijel Quad VCA, always sounds clean and has a ton of features packed in. You might have even been the one to recommend it to me @farkas.

I am verry pleased with my https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-black-quad-vca2 but then again I only have experience with the Erica Synths VCA's.

Intellijel Quad VCA, the brilliant and reasonable reference.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

I've always liked veils - I only have OGs - no mk2s - I'd go for mk2s, or clones, over anything else now though... clean enough, dirty enough, enough extraneous features...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for the recommendations. All good choices. After doing a little more research and seeing your suggestions, I think I'm going to go with the Intellijel Quad VCA. I didn't realize it has cascading CV and Veils does not (at least according to a thread I was reading this morning). Seems to tick all the boxes, and as a bonus it's very inexpensive.
@troux, you are probably right. I now remember recommending the Intellijel a few times based on features/price/size. I had kind of forgotten what a bargain it is.
Thanks again!

Just an update for anyone that may stumble across this in the future. I ultimately decided to purchase the new AJH Triple Cross. Three DC-coupled VCAs/crossfaders/panners. I already use a lot of AJH stuff (it's all awesome) and the Triple Cross is geared towards the uses that I had in mind for adding some extra VCAs.