I am new to modular but not new to synthesis concepts. I understand the basic concepts of subtractive synthesis, but the West Pest is a bit different than what I am used to as it uses a low pass gate instead of an Envelope + VCA.

I would like to have the Doepfer A-140 control the attack of the West Pest's amplitude. I have tried patching as shown and am not able to trigger the envelope. The patch points with yellow text on the left side of the West Pest patch bay are the audio/cv inputs and the white text ones are the outputs.

To my understanding, a low pass gate takes the place of a filter, envelope, and VCA of a traditional east coast style substractive synth.

The A-140's light stays on when powered on with nothing plugged into the patch points, and stays lit when I have it patched as shown. From videos I have seen the LED brightness is supposed to follow the ADSR stages when triggered properly. Is it normal operation for the LED to stay lit when not patched into anything?

What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any/all help- excited to slowly build my rack over time, but have to start with the basics.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/patches/modulargrid_108127.jpg

2 possibilities from what I can see

1 the output level of the gate is not enough to open the envelope

2 the length of the gate is too short to open the envelope

you'll need to check the output level of the gate in the manual... and cross reference it with the doepfer module

adjusting the length of the gate on the west pest is addressed on page 16 of the pdf manual

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities