Hey guys....

To cut a long story short, I had expendable cash during covid and bought a Doepfer A-100 and slowly slowly Im filling it up.
I was hoping that some people here could give me some patch tips for my setup?
Since buying all of it ( I bought an Akai MPCx and a 2nd hand MacBook Pro 2017 aswell) ive just been loving all the interesting sounds i can make however, ive become terrible for patching the same thing over and over, maybe with a slight diference in tonal character or movment.......BORING nonetheless.

I cant stop myself from patching what i already know works, such as oscillator to filter to VCA with an envelope controling the filter cutoff.

Maybe some patch ideas for some nice pads or a some crazy rises/dives or impacts.......

I love 90s big beat music such as Chem Bros, Prodigy and Leftfield so once ive got a little bit more know how with the mod synth and the MPC i will do my best at recording some matrial.

cheers guys !!!

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1880142.jpg?1693808326

actual link - cos jpgs are crap!!!

ModularGrid Rack

well I'd want more utilities - a matrix mixer would be a good start - and probably some attenuators....

seems far too sound source heavy... see my signature for hints...

patch ideas - work your way through the 'maths illustrated supplement', use the fx directly after the sound source and before filtering...

write a python script on that MBP - to generate random patches - if you search there's an example one floating about online... if you can read and do basic maths it'll be easy to adapt for your rack...

write some selection tables on a pad and use dice to generate patches...

mix outputs of sound sources, before doing anything else...

tune your sound sources to different intervals...

mix & modulate your modulation!

hope this helps!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

First off, if you copy and past the link to the rack, we'll get to look at the rack itself and not a jpg, which really isn't useful.

Second, other folks can give you specific recommendations to patch the sounds you're looking for, but don't forget about self-patching (looking at you MATHS and QPAS). In fact, look up the MATHS Illustrated manual for a ton of patching examples. Also, many module manuals provide patching ideas; it may be worth menu-diving and watching some videos.

Third, just a quick observation: you have a lot of oscillators and filters and not too much else, so it's not really a surprise that your patching is feeling repetative. You have many impressive sound sources (more than you may realize, with self-patching), but not much to play with them and manipulate them. I suppose you have the computer at your disposal (VCV rack has some great free modules), but I'm not seeing the midi 0r other interfaces to connect? In any case, you should consider a few additions (everyone likes buying more gear, right?). Your patching options open up exponentially as you get more modules and patchpoints.

Consider for example, VCAs. You have the Quad VCA, which is a great module, but doesn't even give you enough channels for the voices you already have, and it certainly doesn't give you enough channels to play around with, such as modulating an LFO with another LFO to come up with more interesting cv. A Veils clone or Doepfer's quad mixer vca might be of more value than you realize.

I also always advocate for more modulation options, like Ochd or Batumi, so you can have motion. Finally, you're missing the essential architecture, utilities. There's been a few good analogies floating around the comments about utilities, but in the end, the unsung utilities are what enable you to actually use the big-ticket modules like VCOs. You might want to consider a mutli-utility module, such as a Disting EX or uOrnament and Crime, which gives you a taste of a lot of types of utility modules so you can figure out what's useful (again, VCV rack gives you plenty for free if you're already using a computer, but you need to be able to interact with it). For example, until you play with a clock divider, how would you know you can use it as a sub-osc? Or a that comparator can be amazing for taking LFOs and making rhythms, or just how fun switches can be?

In my mind, it's the ability to access these architectural circuits that makes modular unique. Plenty of standalone synths give you deep rawring sounds and luscious pads, but how many of them can create modulation and movement over time that can be controlled by other parameters? I'd say watch some videos about the modules you already have (look up that MATHS manual!) and about different utilities, and you'll get a good sense of where to go next with your patching.

Edited: Just saw the link has already been posted. Ignore point 1.

Third, just a quick observation: you have a lot of oscillators and filters and not too much else, so it's not really a surprise that your patching is feeling repetative. You have many impressive sound sources (more than you may realize, with self-patching), but not much to play with them and manipulate them. I suppose you have the computer at your disposal (VCV rack has some great free modules), but I'm not seeing the midi 0r other interfaces to connect? In any case, you should consider a few additions (everyone likes buying more gear, right?). Your patching options open up exponentially as you get more modules and patchpoints.

this!!!

Consider for example, VCAs. You have the Quad VCA, which is a great module, but doesn't even give you enough channels for the voices you already have, and it certainly doesn't give you enough channels to play around with, such as modulating an LFO with another LFO to come up with more interesting cv. A Veils clone or Doepfer's quad mixer vca might be of more value than you realize.

get the veils clone... a much more versatile vca than the doepfer - not that the doepfer is not good, just less versatile...

I also always advocate for more modulation options, like Ochd or Batumi, so you can have motion. Finally, you're missing the essential architecture, utilities. There's been a few good analogies floating around the comments about utilities, but in the end, the unsung utilities are what enable you to actually use the big-ticket modules like VCOs.

an extra modulation source would be good - depending on how you are using Pams... if you are using that a lot for modulatiojn at the moment I'd prioritise a matrix mixer... probably less. expensive than a worthwhile an inexpensive modulation source

You might want to consider a mutli-utility module, such as a Disting EX or uOrnament and Crime, which gives you a taste of a lot of types of utility modules so you can figure out what's useful (again, VCV rack gives you plenty for free if you're already using a computer, but you need to be able to interact with it). For example, until you play with a clock divider, how would you know you can use it as a sub-osc? Or a that comparator can be amazing for taking LFOs and making rhythms, or just how fun switches can be?

I'd be more towards getting some basic utility modules - you can research more interestin things later... although something to interface with vcv rack is a great idea - es9 is probably best of breed - unless you already have a decent audio interface with ADAT I/O

In my mind, it's the ability to access these architectural circuits that makes modular unique. Plenty of standalone synths give you deep rawring sounds and luscious pads, but how many of them can create modulation and movement over time that can be controlled by other parameters? I'd say watch some videos about the modules you already have (look up that MATHS manual!) and about different utilities, and you'll get a good sense of where to go next with your patching.

architectural circuits ? more like the plumbing - no point in building a house (or any building) without the making sure the plumbing is properly there...

Edited: Just saw the link has already been posted. Ignore point 1.
-- HGsynth

classic cross posting!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Cheers for all the info guys....
As you mentioned very sound heavy but im selling a few modules (TT filter, The Evelopes and Cellz) and got a couple on order intellijel quadrax and another quad VCA. Ill read trough te bulk of the comment tonigt and have check on some suggestions.

thanks again guys

Patch a random from Pams (or an LFO from Maths) into Plaits Model input while triggering Plaits at a rythmic interval

+1 on utilities to get more out of this rack. Some suggestions below

Adding some random always makes things more interesting. MI Marbles, SSF Ultra Random or Frap Tools Sapel are just a few of the best at random. A sequencer like Mimetic Digitales that can be randomized would be a great source to add stepped modulation and interest to all the voices

There are some great multi-fuction modules that encourage creative patching. Maths is one, but Muxlicer, Stages and Tides also pack a bunch of different capabilities into a single module

If you're looking to work more 'in-the-box' Expert Sleepers ES9 audio interface is awesome for building a hybrid system with VCV rack. VCV alone will open a world of possibilities. Bonus ES9 feature is the MPC can use it to expand it's audio I/O and sample directly from the modular (depending upon the MPC firmware)

Lots of little utilities add flavour, consider adding things like a sample & hold, clock multiplier/divider, sequential switch and CV attenuation/inversion/mixing

Reading over all your comments, i defo know i need more VCAs so 1st is another quad VCA (probably another Quad VCAfrom intellijel) and ive also ordered MOSKWA ii and selling the cellz. I watched a few vids on Monorail tech talk on youtube for some advice on utiliti mods and was thinking of the malstrom Arkan module along with a shakmat medusa module.

As for comupter integration ive never thought of it. I did plan on buying an es9 casue thhey appear in a ton of online videos and tutorials.

Thanks again guys for all the suggestions and help very much appreiceated