Hey fellow synth enthusiasts!

I'm currently in the process of expanding my modular synth setup, and I could use some guidance regarding power consumption. My current setup, has been running smoothly with a power consumption of 1850 mA on +12V and 850 mA on -12V.

Now, I'm excited to add another VCO. (Coral)
I want to ensure that my power supply, the x1 PSU3, can handle this additional load without any issues. As it stands, my setup is running comfortably with the existing modules.

+12V: 1936 mA
-12V: 863 mA
5V: 0 mA

So, my main question is: Will the x1 PSU3 be sufficient to power my expanded setup with the added VCO, considering the new power consumption figures I've mentioned?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ModularGrid Rack

what are the stated power outputs per rail for the x1 psu3?

do you mean 1 * a doepfer psu3???

if so the stated power supplies per rail are 12V / 2000mA, -12V / 1200mA, +5V/4000mA

your stated draw is:

+12V: 1936 mA
-12V: 863 mA
5V: 0 mA

and your current draw is 1850mA on the 12v...

general advice is to leave at least 25-30% headroom on each rail - you're already way over that without adding any more modules - I suspect this is a LC9 case - they're great for basic analog modules, but a bit underpowered for a lot of digital modules which you have in your case...

based on that - you may be ok, you may not be, you probably won't damage any modules, but you may blow the fuse in the case, or you may just experience issues with inrush and some modules may not power up correctly...

either way if I were you I wouldn't add that module to this case...

If it was me I'd spend the money on another case and start adding some basic analog utility modules to enhance your patching and reduce the power draw on this case and then buy the module you want

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks! yea, I was thinking adding more switches, multiples. with 1850 at +12 am good now, so will put vco in next case. : )